LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entryway Bench

I've been thinking lately about benches, as the lady wants one for the back entryway for our house. The initial concept was to build a large organizer-style bench complete with coat-hooks, storage under the seat, storage above the coat-hooks, etc. But she's not too big on having something very large in that space, so we've decided that the best thing would be to have a very simple, vintage-looking bench and a separate matching hanger board attached to the wall.

She showed me a couple styles that she likes, and I've put some thoughts together.

First, she wants it to look antique, so I'm thinking a distressed finish over dark stained pine.

The stretchers will be full-size through-tenons. I'm not sure what to do with attaching the top to the legs (always a problem of mine) but I'm thinking of going a very different route and finding some large bolts (3/4" ?) and counter-sinking them into the bench top.

This last picture is just to show some sample measurements.

Questions:
1) What are your thoughts on attaching the legs to the bench top?
2) What is a good way to get a distressed finish? Does it just take time and a little controlled chaos?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Entryway Bench

I've been thinking lately about benches, as the lady wants one for the back entryway for our house. The initial concept was to build a large organizer-style bench complete with coat-hooks, storage under the seat, storage above the coat-hooks, etc. But she's not too big on having something very large in that space, so we've decided that the best thing would be to have a very simple, vintage-looking bench and a separate matching hanger board attached to the wall.

She showed me a couple styles that she likes, and I've put some thoughts together.

First, she wants it to look antique, so I'm thinking a distressed finish over dark stained pine.

The stretchers will be full-size through-tenons. I'm not sure what to do with attaching the top to the legs (always a problem of mine) but I'm thinking of going a very different route and finding some large bolts (3/4" ?) and counter-sinking them into the bench top.

Questions:
2) What is a good way to get a distressed finish? Does it just take time and a little controlled chaos?
The links should be fixed now, thanks for catching that.

I believe that once I took away the wood texture in the last picture the base colors were bad and make it look inverse. It should be more apparent in the larger image.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Entryway Bench

Questions:
Here is a clearer image of the bottom.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Entryway Bench

Here is my second attempt at designing an entryway bench.

The top is similar to the first, but I've changed to to include less angle cuts. I'm still very fresh to woodworking and while I don't doubt my ability to properly measure and cut angles, I would rather focus on my joinery and finishing techniques than worry about angles.

So, I've straightened out the legs, added stretchers across the bottom of the legs, and added a shelf of sorts for shoes and whatever else fits.

Here is a bottom view to show the stretchers/support build up on the underside. The support is probably overkill, but I really like solid, heavy furniture.

I may switch the through-tenons under the seat from the long stretchers to the short ones to be consistent with the next piece I'm going to post.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts

The top is similar to the first, but I've changed to to include less angle cuts. I'm still very fresh to woodworking and while I don't doubt my ability to properly measure and cut angles, I would rather focus on my joinery and finishing techniques than worry about angles.

So, I've straightened out the legs, added stretchers across the bottom of the legs, and added a shelf of sorts for shoes and whatever else fits.

Here is a bottom view to show the stretchers/support build up on the underside. The support is probably overkill, but I really like solid, heavy furniture.

I may switch the through-tenons under the seat from the long stretchers to the short ones to be consistent with the next piece I'm going to post.
looks great, the through tenon would indeed look more fitting being on the long stretcher.

·
Registered
298 Posts

"but I really like solid, heavy furniture"...

My first reaction was to that it appears you have designed a solid, heavy piece but then I realize that I am assuming certain dimensional qualities to the design that are actually incorrect. Even though the post is titled 'bench' I was 'reading' it like a table. When i force myself to see the piece as a bench (with a height app. 18") the design loses much of its massiveness. Perhaps adding the context to the model would be useful to determine whether the piece is really as 'heavy' as you want it to be.

(disclaimer this comment could be useless due to my own visual quirks and sense of scale)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes, that is a fair criticism, and looking back at the pictures I can see where size reference could get lost on this piece. The duality of the word bench in the context of woodworking doesn't help.

For reference on this piece the legs are 3"x3", the overall height is 19 3/8" with the board on top being 1 3/8" thick.

In the future I'll be sure to include some dimensions with these sketches.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Hank

I think the 1/6 proportion of the legs does produce the solid, heavy look you want and the actual dimensions 3×3 will appear stout in reality. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Booth

I've always really liked the idea of having a booth or booths in my home that would be separate from the dining room and used more regularly as a breakfast nook, or a place to study or just to have more room when we have family over for the holidays.

Anyway, we're remodeling our whole main floor and I would like to put two non-stationary booths in the newly opened-up kitchen.

Once again, this should be a very sturdy piece.

I had wider boards on the top of the table so that it would share the same look with the benches (4 boards across with one at each end) but she wanted the boards to be similar size rather than scaled up. I'm not sure I'm keen on it yet.

The benches are fairly similar to the entryway bench from my previous blog, but has several significant modifications.

I'm not sure exactly how I want to carry out the joints between the back legs and the backrest support. The angle is a bit awkward to go with a dovetail, but I want something that looks nice.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Booth

I've always really liked the idea of having a booth or booths in my home that would be separate from the dining room and used more regularly as a breakfast nook, or a place to study or just to have more room when we have family over for the holidays.

Anyway, we're remodeling our whole main floor and I would like to put two non-stationary booths in the newly opened-up kitchen.

I had wider boards on the top of the table so that it would share the same look with the benches (4 boards across with one at each end) but she wanted the boards to be similar size rather than scaled up. I'm not sure I'm keen on it yet.

The benches are fairly similar to the entryway bench from my previous blog, but has several significant modifications.

I'm not sure exactly how I want to carry out the joints between the back legs and the backrest support. The angle is a bit awkward to go with a dovetail, but I want something that looks nice.

Cool sketch work

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Booth

That's a very cool design nicely done in SketchUp. I love nooks like that. I think your table might benefit from some diagonal bracing between the vertical legs and the top/feet. I also realize that it might interfere with getting in and out. My $0.02… Keep us posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Booth

Looks promising…I'll be following this one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Booth

Love the idea can't wait to see this one come together

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Booth

Hi Hank, nice job on the drawing. I caught it when I saw your more recent post. I'm wondering about the vertical parts of the table legs that look like they terminate into the feet with a dovetail. Does that cut the foot into two pieces or is it somehow notched into the cross brace?

Best,

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Booth

looks like a good start - I too noticed those dovetails on the verticals that are through dovetails and might jeopardize the strength and stability of the structure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Booth

Jim, the thought with that particular joint would be to have the dovetail only maybe 3/4" or 1" deep. The legs and feet would be made out of 3"x3" material, so the rigidity of the feet shouldn't be compromised much by the dovetail.

The only thing I hadn't figured out 100% was the stretcher between where the legs and feet intersect. I figured I could put a shallow mortise and tenon joint in there somehow without competing for space with the dovetail.

-I'm not sure "foot" or "feet" is the proper thing to call the horizontal part of the legs, but they sort of look like a foot extending from a leg, so I'm going with it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ottoman/Coffee Table

While I'm not one for sitting on the couch too often, I'm inclined to watch a couple shows during the week with my lady (if I don't watch TV with her at least one or two night a week she gets grumpy). And then there's Sundays during football season, but that's a different story.

Anyway, we have traditional couches, no recliners, and a very hard/pointy coffee table. And to be honest I like having a coffee table MOST of the time. But there are times where I really would rather just have something soft to rest my feet on.

I could throw some pillows on the coffee table because lord knows we have enough of them on the couch. What's up with twenty pillows on the couch anyway? Unfortunately the coffee table is really too tall to put your feet on to begin with, and it's sometimes hard to see over my toes.

So… I want an ottoman and a coffee table without needing two pieces of furniture.

Everything in dark brown would be made of hard wood, while the light brown would be 1/2" ply. The dowels are colored just to stand out.

That red thing on top is my lame SketchUp attempt at a cushion.

It would have flanged slots on each end to support the top as it flipped over. Some sort of roller would be attached to the top at one edge so that the top would act like a lid, or could be lifted to vertical, rolled to the other edge, and laid flat on the other side revealing the opposite face.

At 6' long and 30" wide I believe it should be large enough to accommodate anything either piece of furniture should. There are supports on either edge to support the lid, though I'm not sure how much support will be needed if the kids start jumping on it. The storage compartment will be lined with rib supports across the bottom, but even with those this thing would not fare well to be overloaded with magazines and book, but blankets and pillows would be supported wonderfully.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Ottoman/Coffee Table

While I'm not one for sitting on the couch too often, I'm inclined to watch a couple shows during the week with my lady (if I don't watch TV with her at least one or two night a week she gets grumpy). And then there's Sundays during football season, but that's a different story.

Anyway, we have traditional couches, no recliners, and a very hard/pointy coffee table. And to be honest I like having a coffee table MOST of the time. But there are times where I really would rather just have something soft to rest my feet on.

I could throw some pillows on the coffee table because lord knows we have enough of them on the couch. What's up with twenty pillows on the couch anyway? Unfortunately the coffee table is really too tall to put your feet on to begin with, and it's sometimes hard to see over my toes.

So… I want an ottoman and a coffee table without needing two pieces of furniture.

Everything in dark brown would be made of hard wood, while the light brown would be 1/2" ply. The dowels are colored just to stand out.

It would have flanged slots on each end to support the top as it flipped over. Some sort of roller would be attached to the top at one edge so that the top would act like a lid, or could be lifted to vertical, rolled to the other edge, and laid flat on the other side revealing the opposite face.

At 6' long and 30" wide I believe it should be large enough to accommodate anything either piece of furniture should. There are supports on either edge to support the lid, though I'm not sure how much support will be needed if the kids start jumping on it. The storage compartment will be lined with rib supports across the bottom, but even with those this thing would not fare well to be overloaded with magazines and book, but blankets and pillows would be supported wonderfully.
Very nice sketch work, looks like a interesting design.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ottoman/Coffee Table

cool.. great idea best of luck..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ottoman/Coffee Table

Did you consider dividing the top into sections? At a practical level given that coffee tables become depositories for many things (some usually permanent), if you divided the top into say 3 sections you could move whatever was currently on the table over to one or even two of the sections and then flip the 3rd section for your ottoman.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.