LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
With my husband's snowmobile and the seasonal stuff now tucked away in the newly built shed, I'm enjoying a bit more shop space. High on the list of shop projects is an assembly table. I like the look of the large ones with a torsion box top that double as outfeed tables so feel free to post those, but I'm looking for something with a smaller foot print.

So what do you use? Is it saw horses and plywood? Adjustable height? Show me what ya got!

Thanks

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I'll show ya mine if you..etc.

You already eliminated mind from consideration. It's 42" wide and 90" long. It's NOT portable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A few years back I picked up an older steel desk and added 4 swivel casters to the 4 legs, it works great but it's not adjustable on the height. I also always wanted to add some flip up wings to be able to make it bigger. The drawers are very handy.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Here's one of my assembly tables….This is prolly a bigger one than you want, but you can make it any size you need…..Mine is 4' x 8', and has a torsion box with 3/4" ply for the top layer….The bottom shelf is 1/2" ply, and also has a torsion box-type construction…. But there again, you can make it any size you need…....

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I use my benches and my cabinet saw. I have a 1/4 inch of old plywood with tight pattern that I cover the saw. I'n warmer weather I work outside to catch the sun. Metal saw horses, and 3/4 inch plywood. 2×6s if its heavy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here are 2 tables I use. The first is my outfeed table. It is not a torsion box. It is a simple 2×4 frame with a 1/2" ply top. I added some laminate shelving to the top so I could use the T-tracks for holding work down.
Wood Floor Gas Engineering Machine

The second table was salvaged from a printing company. It was a plate makers table. It has a stainless steel covered top. Not perfectly flat, but nice for glue-ups.
Table Furniture Cabinetry Wood Drawer

As always, having too many flat surfaces available can lead to clutter. I have to force myself to clean up and put stuff away. What I really need is a good place to put scrap lumber.

BJ

Attachments

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Hey Dan K, You didn't get that in Gurnee, IL by chance? heehee

Great use of a discarded piece.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
No worries. I worked in healthcare IT for 20+ years and if you look at my shop photos you will see healthcare equipment all over the place. Some wont be recognizable…old roll about computer carts using in nursing transformed to tool carts with storage, newer computer stand rollabouts converted to light stands, medicine carts converted to hardware storage, couple IV stands for cord support etc, etc. You can see on the left in these pictures an array of hardware in medicine cart equipment that would make most hardware stores jealous. That's one of three. Actually didn't stop to realize how much had been repurposed!
DanK
LAWL. Gurnee IL I get it…

·
Registered
437 Posts
Don't have a pic but I cut a piece of 3/4 ply into, put one half on a frame of 2×4" and hindged the other half off one end and edge banded with hardwood. I use the 4×4 table as tablesaw outfeed and raise the other end up when i need the full 8' along with my tablesaw. I support the swing up end with roller stand. I could add locking casters on it but I don't have a need to move it no more than slide it around if needed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.