LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopsmith V Drum Sander - Part Construction

Greeting All,

I've been doing a bit of Mad Scientist routine in the workshop again. As a few of you may recall, I've been asking about V Drum sanders for a while now, convinced I could make one out of my Shopsmith with a minimum of effort.

Picture One

This is the tailstock with a mdf block in it. I ended up using a turned piece that projected out of the tailstock toward the about and inch.

Picture Two

Here is the flat bearing I am using with a 3/8" center. I used a 3/8" bit to bore through, then a 1 1/8" forstner bit to seat the bearing.

Picture Three

This is my drum. 1 1/4" pvc with a 3/8" threaded rod center. I drilled out 24(I think) some odd mdf plugs that are epoxied to the rod. Believe it or not, I used some leftover fiberglass to put the plugged rod in the pvc tube. It did not heat up or melt as some folks feared it would.

Pictures Four and Five

The drum attached to the Shopsmith. That board under it is what I used to try and measure the height of the box to go around the drum.

I messed up and in two places. I was going to use the gray housing of the SS to seat the box on around the drum. I measures too short on the length. I quesstimated using the drum at the key, not the length between the powerhead housing and the tailstock housing. Oops.

I also forgot the account for the extra "height" that would occur when I added the velcro and the hook & loop sandpaper. Fortunately I am still at a point I can make adjustments.

Picture Six

The velcro attached to the drum. That's the roll of sandpaper waiting to go on.

Well, I hope you folks find this interesting. I'll add on the box and HOPEFULLY an action shot of the sander in action.

Milo

·
Registered
194 Posts

Greeting All,

I've been doing a bit of Mad Scientist routine in the workshop again. As a few of you may recall, I've been asking about V Drum sanders for a while now, convinced I could make one out of my Shopsmith with a minimum of effort.

Picture One

This is the tailstock with a mdf block in it. I ended up using a turned piece that projected out of the tailstock toward the about and inch.

Picture Two

Here is the flat bearing I am using with a 3/8" center. I used a 3/8" bit to bore through, then a 1 1/8" forstner bit to seat the bearing.

Picture Three

This is my drum. 1 1/4" pvc with a 3/8" threaded rod center. I drilled out 24(I think) some odd mdf plugs that are epoxied to the rod. Believe it or not, I used some leftover fiberglass to put the plugged rod in the pvc tube. It did not heat up or melt as some folks feared it would.

Pictures Four and Five

The drum attached to the Shopsmith. That board under it is what I used to try and measure the height of the box to go around the drum.

I messed up and in two places. I was going to use the gray housing of the SS to seat the box on around the drum. I measures too short on the length. I quesstimated using the drum at the key, not the length between the powerhead housing and the tailstock housing. Oops.

I also forgot the account for the extra "height" that would occur when I added the velcro and the hook & loop sandpaper. Fortunately I am still at a point I can make adjustments.

Picture Six

Well, I hope you folks find this interesting. I'll add on the box and HOPEFULLY an action shot of the sander in action.

Milo
Get ready for sawdust; what a neat way to expand the use of your SS.

Nice work.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
I'm HOPING that the box I'll build around it will keep that dust to a minimum. Hopefully I'll have that included in the next post!

·
Registered
318 Posts

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
i'd like to see how that turns out. I have a shopsmith i would like to do something similar.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
I'm a big believer that, with a little imagination, a Shopsmith can do virtually anything. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project. Way to go! -SST

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
Hey guys,

Things are probably going to be delayed with the drum sander. Just got a call from my stepmother, and my Dad has taken a turn for the worse in his battle with prostate cancer. It's just matter of time, but everything is now on hold.

Thanks,

Milo

·
Registered
4,314 Posts

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
Milo, sorry to hear about your dad. Any updates on his condition?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
Hi Rance,

Dad died on the 30th of last month in the early AM. He had battled prostate cancer for over 20 years, fighting back recurrences twice before. He wanted to be cremated and have his ashes scattered, and we all decided to wait until this fall to scatter them when the weather is a lot nicer.

You can read a bit about him at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/myrtlebeachonline/obituary.aspx?n=kenneth-moore&pid=144445077

Thank you for your concern. I've worked a bit on the sander since I got back, and just have to get the height of the box right. I'm off by about a 1/16 or an 1/8th of an inch. I'll have more picks soon.

Milo

·
Registered
4,314 Posts

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
Sorry to hear that Milo. My prayers go out to you and your family.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts

Greeting All,

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Pictures Four and Five

Picture Six

Milo
Hi Milo, This is a nice sander.
I used a similar concept on my thickness sander.
Is there anything a ShopSmith can't do?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shopsmith V Drum Sander - Completed

Hey All,

Sorry it took a while to get back to this. I had some sad family business to take care of, but I got back and finished this sander.

Basically, I just built a box around the drum. It took a LOT of tweaking, primarily because I stink at design. Someone with better design skills could have measure the box height better than I did, but what the hey, it was fun figuring it out.

I routed the length of the top with a straight bit and a cove bit to get the shape.

I used some leftover rough plywood to make the box itself. I will probably remake it in the future to better specs.

I used an old tightening screw from a Shopsmith planer that went bad to hold the box in place. You can probably get one of these on ebay. I considered making the base of the box over sized so I could just use clamps.

I hope you like it. I'm feeling a little thick headed tonight as I write my description, so I know it's not all that great. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have, so please feel free to ask. ;-)

Milo

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Hey All,

Sorry it took a while to get back to this. I had some sad family business to take care of, but I got back and finished this sander.

Basically, I just built a box around the drum. It took a LOT of tweaking, primarily because I stink at design. Someone with better design skills could have measure the box height better than I did, but what the hey, it was fun figuring it out.

I routed the length of the top with a straight bit and a cove bit to get the shape.

I used some leftover rough plywood to make the box itself. I will probably remake it in the future to better specs.

I used an old tightening screw from a Shopsmith planer that went bad to hold the box in place. You can probably get one of these on ebay. I considered making the base of the box over sized so I could just use clamps.

I hope you like it. I'm feeling a little thick headed tonight as I write my description, so I know it's not all that great. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have, so please feel free to ask. ;-)

Milo
looks like a great idea, and variable speed to boot

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hey All,

Milo
Yeah, but for it to be productive I think I need to have it cranked down to as low as the Shopsmith can go. I don't know if all 510 go as low as mine, but I always had reservations with my old 500. I thought it would turn too quickly at it lowest setting. I didn't really go after the idea of doing this until I got the new one.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Hey All,

Milo
nice work

·
Registered
18,205 Posts

Hey All,

Milo
Cool idea, nice work.

·
Registered
17,103 Posts

Hey All,

Milo
Good work Milo.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Hey All,

Milo
I have a factory made Flat Master http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html and it turns the other way, so the drum is turning toward the operator.
I don't know if the difference is significant, but if I did this on my ShopSmith I'd have to work from the back of the machine to have it going the same way.

Don

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey All,

Milo
Don,

The SS drum does spin toward me when standing in the front.

Milo

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Hey All,

Milo
Milo,
Well sure it does.
Its just my idiot head thats spinning backwards!
Sorry.

Don

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.