LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Table Saw Adventure

After a weekend of cleaning up the shop, I decided to start with the rest of the arrangement. The workbench and table saw tune up. The workbench will be another "work in progress" project and, if I'm lucky, will have an overhead drum sander at one end . . . but, that's another story. The table saw needs a whole lot of attention. It's not the best model available, but the JTS-10DD has served my basic needs for about 7 years. It has survived an attempted abduction from a jobsite (good thing it was bolted to the floor), a flood which deposited a 16" water mark on the legs and rusted up the top a bit and a life in my old garage. Here she is, starting to be stripped down.

The blade seemed like a good place to start, so I checked it and found a wobble. The blade didn't seem like the problem, because it sighted flat and it seemed like checking the arbor was a better place to start. Sure enough, the arbor had a wobble. It is a direct drive saw, which is a notorious set up for wobbles and inaccuracies, but I am determined.
The gear assembly clamps onto a mounting plate and is attached to the motor via hex socket cap screws. There are also four brass screws which seem to control the pitch of the blade. Here's a better shot of the brass screws, which have hex nuts. These seem to be problem.

After removing the arbor assembly, the hypothesis seem to have been confirmed. It also seems the wobble is due to a contact issue inside the arbor assembly. It seems when I pull lightly on the arbor, it loses it's wobble. So, we'll see what happens. I plan on posting a follow up to this entry after I clean and adjust the arbor assembly. Here's a parting shot of the arbor assembly after it was removed. Pretty dirty stuff. A good cleaning and reassembly should help, but we'll see. I'll have to figure out a way for the brass screw to slide along the metal mounting plate while keeping a bit of tension on the arbor assembly. I did see some negative reviews of this saw, but it's the best one I have.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
The Table Saw Adventure

After a weekend of cleaning up the shop, I decided to start with the rest of the arrangement. The workbench and table saw tune up. The workbench will be another "work in progress" project and, if I'm lucky, will have an overhead drum sander at one end . . . but, that's another story. The table saw needs a whole lot of attention. It's not the best model available, but the JTS-10DD has served my basic needs for about 7 years. It has survived an attempted abduction from a jobsite (good thing it was bolted to the floor), a flood which deposited a 16" water mark on the legs and rusted up the top a bit and a life in my old garage. Here she is, starting to be stripped down.

The blade seemed like a good place to start, so I checked it and found a wobble. The blade didn't seem like the problem, because it sighted flat and it seemed like checking the arbor was a better place to start. Sure enough, the arbor had a wobble. It is a direct drive saw, which is a notorious set up for wobbles and inaccuracies, but I am determined.
The gear assembly clamps onto a mounting plate and is attached to the motor via hex socket cap screws. There are also four brass screws which seem to control the pitch of the blade. Here's a better shot of the brass screws, which have hex nuts. These seem to be problem.

After removing the arbor assembly, the hypothesis seem to have been confirmed. It also seems the wobble is due to a contact issue inside the arbor assembly. It seems when I pull lightly on the arbor, it loses it's wobble. So, we'll see what happens. I plan on posting a follow up to this entry after I clean and adjust the arbor assembly. Here's a parting shot of the arbor assembly after it was removed. Pretty dirty stuff. A good cleaning and reassembly should help, but we'll see. I'll have to figure out a way for the brass screw to slide along the metal mounting plate while keeping a bit of tension on the arbor assembly. I did see some negative reviews of this saw, but it's the best one I have.
good diagnosis.

as for the saw getting negative reviews - you've had it for 7 years and it still performs I think thats gotta count for something positive.

hope you can resolve the wobble issue quickly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Table Saw Adventure

Thanks Purp. The older I get, the more I come to terms with being a cheap Polak! :) I've been told by many really good old timer carpenters that it's almost never the tool, but the operator. I have a hard time spending more on something, if I can get the cheaper one to work as well. Unfortunately, there have been times when the cheaper tool really was cheap and I ended up paying for one bad one and one good one to replace the bad one.

I may not be able to get all of the vibration out of the blade. I just reassembled the arbor and, although much better, it's still not great. I ended up shimming the small rear bearing with a washer I found around the shop (a wave washer; tying explaining that one to the guy at Menards.) I'll post some pics and the results of some test cuts tomorrow. Hope you'll check it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Table Saw Adventure part deux

In the last "Table Saw Adventure" entry, I mentioned a major wobble in the arbor. While my original thinking had me polishing brass screws, that did not turn out to be the solution. I assumed these little guys; were the responsible party. I thought they had come away from the motor/arbor mounting plate and had caused the bearings inside the arbor assembly to not be seated properly. You can see the set up here. I got the brass polished till it shined, set the screws snug against the mounting plate and found out that tightening these simply locks the arbor assembly against the mounting plate.

After more head scratching and studying the exploded view diagram in the manual, I hit the solution. The rear bearing seen here has something called a "wave washer" behind it, or at least it is supposed to. It either disintegrated, got fused to the aluminum bearing housing, or they forgot to put one in. This wave washer keep forward pressure on the bearing keeping the whole thing snug.

If you're ever bored, call up a few home centers and ask the guy in hardware if they stock wave washers. 10 to 1 odds he'll transfer you to the "home appliances" department in an attempt to sell you a washing machine. Out of sheer frustration, I started searching my "various parts and other junk" cabinet. Since I keep everything that looks like it might be useful someday, I found something that looked like it might have worked. So, with a hope and a prayer, I threw my newly found "wave washer look alike" into the bearing housing using a little "White Lighting" to keep it in place while I inserted the arbor housing back in place. I wiggled the arbor . . . no wiggle; I spun the arbor by hand . . . no funny sounds and it spun easily. While I did have that moment when alarm bells start going off in my head . . . you know the ones, "dude, you're gonna flip the switch and the whole assembly is just gonna blow apart, scattering shrapnel all over you and the shop . . . you're gonna die, fool!", I decided to close my eyes, hold my breath, duck down behind a chunk of plywood and hit the switch. The first try, I flipped it on and off rather quickly. I didn't hear any funny sounds. In fact, the saw never sounded so good. At this point I couldn't wait to cut my first piece of wood on the saw.

Well, this turned out to be a longer entry than I wanted, but I did reassemble the whole saw before cutting that first piece. There was no way around it. While I was scouring the internet trying to find a solution for my vibrating arbor, I saw some aforementioned bad reviews of this saw and at least one guy mentioned that you can't adjust the miter slots to the blade. I found this to be preposterous. In fact, The Woodwhisperer video gave me some clues. I got pictures too. I'll have to put those in another blog entry because my wrists are going numb from all of this strenuous typing. :)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The Table Saw Adventure part deux

In the last "Table Saw Adventure" entry, I mentioned a major wobble in the arbor. While my original thinking had me polishing brass screws, that did not turn out to be the solution. I assumed these little guys; were the responsible party. I thought they had come away from the motor/arbor mounting plate and had caused the bearings inside the arbor assembly to not be seated properly. You can see the set up here. I got the brass polished till it shined, set the screws snug against the mounting plate and found out that tightening these simply locks the arbor assembly against the mounting plate.

After more head scratching and studying the exploded view diagram in the manual, I hit the solution. The rear bearing seen here has something called a "wave washer" behind it, or at least it is supposed to. It either disintegrated, got fused to the aluminum bearing housing, or they forgot to put one in. This wave washer keep forward pressure on the bearing keeping the whole thing snug.

If you're ever bored, call up a few home centers and ask the guy in hardware if they stock wave washers. 10 to 1 odds he'll transfer you to the "home appliances" department in an attempt to sell you a washing machine. Out of sheer frustration, I started searching my "various parts and other junk" cabinet. Since I keep everything that looks like it might be useful someday, I found something that looked like it might have worked. So, with a hope and a prayer, I threw my newly found "wave washer look alike" into the bearing housing using a little "White Lighting" to keep it in place while I inserted the arbor housing back in place. I wiggled the arbor . . . no wiggle; I spun the arbor by hand . . . no funny sounds and it spun easily. While I did have that moment when alarm bells start going off in my head . . . you know the ones, "dude, you're gonna flip the switch and the whole assembly is just gonna blow apart, scattering shrapnel all over you and the shop . . . you're gonna die, fool!", I decided to close my eyes, hold my breath, duck down behind a chunk of plywood and hit the switch. The first try, I flipped it on and off rather quickly. I didn't hear any funny sounds. In fact, the saw never sounded so good. At this point I couldn't wait to cut my first piece of wood on the saw.

Well, this turned out to be a longer entry than I wanted, but I did reassemble the whole saw before cutting that first piece. There was no way around it. While I was scouring the internet trying to find a solution for my vibrating arbor, I saw some aforementioned bad reviews of this saw and at least one guy mentioned that you can't adjust the miter slots to the blade. I found this to be preposterous. In fact, The Woodwhisperer video gave me some clues. I got pictures too. I'll have to put those in another blog entry because my wrists are going numb from all of this strenuous typing. :)
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

That's quite a FIX!

Just think… you possibly saved the cost of a New Saw! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.