LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
I made a couple of little shop improvements today.

In case you have not seen it, I was in Lowe's yesterday and stumbled upon a little Shop Vac they were selling for $19.99. On one hand, I figured you can't get much for $20. On the other hand, what have you got to lose at that price? My immediate thought was to hang this up next to my router table, plug it into the automatic outlet on the router table, and not have to worry about dragging around the hose on my dust deputy every time I have a small table routing job. I have to say this little thing really SUCKS… in a good way!!

These other two photos are of my direct ripoff of Fat Toad's idea. I modified the construction a bit, making mine all 1/2" plywood, with a 1/4" MDF bottom. I wanted to make it not too heavy since it was going to attach to the aluminum rails. I drilled three holes in the end of the cast iron table, so that most of the weight would be supported that way. I also did away with the hinge, installing a keeper strip on the bottom of one side of the lid. With the keeper strip on the right, table edge on the left, and a small rail lip in back, the lid fits snugly in place, but is easy to tilt up or remove completely.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
very cool.
curious about the TS upgrade though - are you planning on finishing/waxing the plywood top - or is it slightly below the CI top? plywood can create quite a bit of drag and friction when trying to cut something on the saw.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
way to go charlie ,

anything new is always good ,

until something newer comes along .

nice drawer .

·
Registered
941 Posts
Looks good, Charlie. Nice idea on the ShopVac and it looks well mounted. The plywood table saw extension looks like a great place to store the accessories we all collect.

Jim

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
Sharon, the plywood top is a tad lower than the table, so I don't think drag is going to be a problem. I very rarely have occasion to set the fence that far to the right anyway. If it becomes a problem on the occasional wide cut, I just lift it off and set it aside… another reason I did not hinge it.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Thanks Charlie - thats what I was thinking, but couldn't tell from the picture. If it's lower than the CI, I don't think you'll have any issues with it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I like the storage box. I'll have to 'steal' the idea from you now…

Just ordered a T2 fence and that box will fit right in there….

Shop vac for $20!? I have the same 'drag-the-hose-around' problem. Hmmmm…

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.