LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now it looks like a lumber rack

Well, I've got some bad news for the 3-4 people reading my blog. This is going to be the last post for a while. I was hoping to finish everything during my vacation, but it won't be done in time and I've got a few other things I need to do over the next few weeks.

The good news is that I'm just about done. The last few steps will be kind of time consuming with minimal results, so I don't think anyone will be dying to see the next few posts. I will blog them when I do them though, I just don't know when it will be. I'd really like to get a parking space back for my wife and that requires some serious cleanup. Here are the pictures for today though. Sorry again to those who have been keeping up. Before I get into the build, heere is a sneak peak at the results.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

That's just pressure treated junk. i don't want it with the good stuff, so it doesn't count.

Before:

After:

I know, the last photos are the same in the before and after. I told you I didn't finish! So, you thought you'd get a sneak preview of the project? nope. keep reading for those pictures.

I didn't get a shot of me ripping the shelves to length, but basically they are 12, 14, and 16 inches wide by 7 ft long. It was the last piece of large plywood I had left. once they were ripped, the trick was to get them into place. I was basically leaning the two sides against one another, then prying them apart to try and slide shelves in between. At one point, I had all the shelves resting on the cleats, but the assembly wouldn't stay balanced and upright. I was stuck…. Literally….

Thankfully, after me standing there holding them for about 15 minutes my wife came down to ask me something and I jumped at the chance for a hand. She kept it balanced while I clamped everything up. Then I just snapped some chalk lines where the shelves would be and started predrilling holes every 8 inches. I applied some glue and also used 2.25 inch coarse thread screws to pull everything tight. Here is a shot of me about to screw in the last shelf. It was in so tight after attaching the top two shelves that I didn't bother to glue it. I hope I don't' regret it.

You can see the screws sticking out. I gotta say, this is one more time where my corded dewalt drill really came through for me. I have abused that thing so badly over the years, and it still runs like a champ. normally, it is one of my most under appreciated tools, but projects like this remind me what a solid piece of machinery it is.

Once all the screws were in place it was time to start loading it up. First, here is a shot to give you an idea of how much storage is in here.

Time to start loading up the plywood. I think that will be a good test since it will put a lot of weight on the assembly without stressing the shelves. here is a shot of the plywood in place (and some scraps of pegboard and drywall).

I'd estimate there are about 500 sq feet of sheet goods on there. Probably 200 of 3/4", 50 of 1/2" and the rest 1/4". I think that works out to about 250 board feet of wood right there. So far so good. It isn't making any noises or flexing and I can still easily move it with one hand.

I guess its time to start adding lumber. Now or never right? I'll admit I was nervous. Here are hose shots.

As you can see in the last photo, there is nothing on the one side of the project. I've still got the material to cut dividers and the pegboard you saw earlier will be used as a wall to hold it all in. I'm hoping it allows me to hang a few small clamps from it, but I don't know if that is a great storage location. they may get knocked off too easily.

Another change I plan to make is that I don't plan on having the cutoff bins go all the way across. I think they will sit in the middle and I'll have clamp storage on the flanks. maybe it will be vise versa. Any suggestions? Thanks to everyone for sticking with me this far. I will do more, I just work rather slowly.

PS - When I loaded all the lumber, I must have hit a tipping point. It suddenly became MUCH harder to move. I can still move it with one hand, but guiding it requires both and some effort. I am going to try and use up some of this material I've got before buying any more for a while. That is the plan at least. This thing probably weighs about 800 lbs right now. If that's accurate (just based on board foot calculations and my 35 lbs per 1/2 thick sheetgoods assumption) I could probably go to 1,000 lbs without problems. I'd like to get more wight moved to the bottom but I have a few more screws to drive down there.
Looks good, if you can't go to larger casters you might add a set in the center to distribute the weight more.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts

Well, I've got some bad news for the 3-4 people reading my blog. This is going to be the last post for a while. I was hoping to finish everything during my vacation, but it won't be done in time and I've got a few other things I need to do over the next few weeks.

The good news is that I'm just about done. The last few steps will be kind of time consuming with minimal results, so I don't think anyone will be dying to see the next few posts. I will blog them when I do them though, I just don't know when it will be. I'd really like to get a parking space back for my wife and that requires some serious cleanup. Here are the pictures for today though. Sorry again to those who have been keeping up. Before I get into the build, heere is a sneak peak at the results.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

That's just pressure treated junk. i don't want it with the good stuff, so it doesn't count.

Before:

After:

I know, the last photos are the same in the before and after. I told you I didn't finish! So, you thought you'd get a sneak preview of the project? nope. keep reading for those pictures.

I didn't get a shot of me ripping the shelves to length, but basically they are 12, 14, and 16 inches wide by 7 ft long. It was the last piece of large plywood I had left. once they were ripped, the trick was to get them into place. I was basically leaning the two sides against one another, then prying them apart to try and slide shelves in between. At one point, I had all the shelves resting on the cleats, but the assembly wouldn't stay balanced and upright. I was stuck…. Literally….

Thankfully, after me standing there holding them for about 15 minutes my wife came down to ask me something and I jumped at the chance for a hand. She kept it balanced while I clamped everything up. Then I just snapped some chalk lines where the shelves would be and started predrilling holes every 8 inches. I applied some glue and also used 2.25 inch coarse thread screws to pull everything tight. Here is a shot of me about to screw in the last shelf. It was in so tight after attaching the top two shelves that I didn't bother to glue it. I hope I don't' regret it.

You can see the screws sticking out. I gotta say, this is one more time where my corded dewalt drill really came through for me. I have abused that thing so badly over the years, and it still runs like a champ. normally, it is one of my most under appreciated tools, but projects like this remind me what a solid piece of machinery it is.

Once all the screws were in place it was time to start loading it up. First, here is a shot to give you an idea of how much storage is in here.

Time to start loading up the plywood. I think that will be a good test since it will put a lot of weight on the assembly without stressing the shelves. here is a shot of the plywood in place (and some scraps of pegboard and drywall).

I'd estimate there are about 500 sq feet of sheet goods on there. Probably 200 of 3/4", 50 of 1/2" and the rest 1/4". I think that works out to about 250 board feet of wood right there. So far so good. It isn't making any noises or flexing and I can still easily move it with one hand.

I guess its time to start adding lumber. Now or never right? I'll admit I was nervous. Here are hose shots.

As you can see in the last photo, there is nothing on the one side of the project. I've still got the material to cut dividers and the pegboard you saw earlier will be used as a wall to hold it all in. I'm hoping it allows me to hang a few small clamps from it, but I don't know if that is a great storage location. they may get knocked off too easily.

Another change I plan to make is that I don't plan on having the cutoff bins go all the way across. I think they will sit in the middle and I'll have clamp storage on the flanks. maybe it will be vise versa. Any suggestions? Thanks to everyone for sticking with me this far. I will do more, I just work rather slowly.

PS - When I loaded all the lumber, I must have hit a tipping point. It suddenly became MUCH harder to move. I can still move it with one hand, but guiding it requires both and some effort. I am going to try and use up some of this material I've got before buying any more for a while. That is the plan at least. This thing probably weighs about 800 lbs right now. If that's accurate (just based on board foot calculations and my 35 lbs per 1/2 thick sheetgoods assumption) I could probably go to 1,000 lbs without problems. I'd like to get more wight moved to the bottom but I have a few more screws to drive down there.
Organizational projects are fun to build and they do wonders for the shop space.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Looks Good Man,,,,,, I'll give you 50 cents for that walnut, but you gotta deliver it . LOL. Great job guy !

·
Registered
930 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Yeah you probably hit the recommended(not the max) load limit of the casters. Next size up would probably restore the ease of movement that you lost. The cart looks great! You are going to make use of it for a long time! Can't wait to see the finish project!

Do you want to store more clamps or shorts? Make the call and then make the placement to meet your needs. I know pragmatic but it is what it is….

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Wow! Very impressive piece of work!
Looks like it will be really useful.
Ellen

·
In Loving Memory
2,704 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

NICE RACK!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Great job I like the storage unit very good idea.

4,013 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Thats a neat idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

What was the frame width? 7' x 36"?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
A final descision on the sheet goods storage

I finally made up my mind about what to do with the lumber rack in the last blog post.

The theory was that the behemoth of a rack would sit in the right bay of my garage. When I wanted to do some woodworking, I'd pull my wife's car out, push the rack into her spot, and then I could work at my bench. I know you don't see it in the photo above, but the opposite side would hold tons of tools and clamps. That means that right behind me would be everything I needed at my reach.

Reality was very different from what I had envisioned. The rack ultimately ended up at about 1500 lbs and was difficult to move. It was also impossible to get anythign done if the car was still there.

I finally needed to make a change. As you've seen, I removed a triton lumber rack, built another of my own racks, and rebuilt the sheet goods storage. The first two items can be seen here:
http://lumberjocks.com/HokieMojo/blog/16458

The last change can be seen in this photo with the sheet goods upright. As a result of the rebuild, I got a lb of screws back and some scrap boards.

The sheet goods storage is satisfactorily stable, but I changed it to the wall just in case. I'll only unhook it when I need to get something off it. On the end I was able to some hardware storage (photo below) and on the back I leaned my pipes from my pipe clamps (no photo, sorry).

One final Bittersweet addition to the shop though. I've wanted a freezer for the longest time to lower our grocery bills while allowing us to buy some healthier food options in bulk. It hurts to give up so much shop space, but it is the only good place for me to keep it.

I hope you like the update. I will have a few more posts soon.

4,013 Posts

I finally made up my mind about what to do with the lumber rack in the last blog post.

The theory was that the behemoth of a rack would sit in the right bay of my garage. When I wanted to do some woodworking, I'd pull my wife's car out, push the rack into her spot, and then I could work at my bench. I know you don't see it in the photo above, but the opposite side would hold tons of tools and clamps. That means that right behind me would be everything I needed at my reach.

Reality was very different from what I had envisioned. The rack ultimately ended up at about 1500 lbs and was difficult to move. It was also impossible to get anythign done if the car was still there.

I finally needed to make a change. As you've seen, I removed a triton lumber rack, built another of my own racks, and rebuilt the sheet goods storage. The first two items can be seen here:

The last change can be seen in this photo with the sheet goods upright. As a result of the rebuild, I got a lb of screws back and some scrap boards.

The sheet goods storage is satisfactorily stable, but I changed it to the wall just in case. I'll only unhook it when I need to get something off it. On the end I was able to some hardware storage (photo below) and on the back I leaned my pipes from my pipe clamps (no photo, sorry).

One final Bittersweet addition to the shop though. I've wanted a freezer for the longest time to lower our grocery bills while allowing us to buy some healthier food options in bulk. It hurts to give up so much shop space, but it is the only good place for me to keep it.

Nice update.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Just make sure you have a dedicated outlet to that freezer - not on a GFI circuit.

Nice switch with the sheet goods. Taller, but smaller footprint….

·
Registered
4,464 Posts

Nice updates…. I like how you combined sheet goods and hardware storage. Freezer in the shop is something I am needing to make space for. I have the freezer, but it is taking up too much space in the kitchen…

·
Registered
457 Posts

Looking good! I have similar problems, so I feel your pain. We keep a refrigerator in the garage for extra food (and beer!) and my wife refuses to give up her parking spot. As for sheet good storage, about a year ago I vowed to never keep anything in my shop that wasn't being used for an immediate project. It's been a good habit. Now I don't keep much lumber or sheet goods in the shop unless they're going to be used promptly.

Until all of us get a 40' x 50' dedicated shop building, we'll all just have to suffer the injustice of parked cars and groceries sharing space with our beloved tools.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Mobile Tool Cart (with photos)

This post relates to a project I've been designing in my mind for a couple of years. I've had a lot of trouble figuring out exactly how I wanted to configure everything on my cart to effectively utilize 4 bench tools (miter saw saw, band saw, drill press, and bench grinder) while still fitting a lot of storage underneath and remaining mobile.

Here is what I built

It is about 3 feet tall (not counting the casters) is 4 feet wide, and is 20" deep. I used about 1 1/2 sheets of 3/4 inch poplar plywood and half a sheet of 1/4 ply for the back. I bought casters online. They seem to work well. I'll try to remember to post a a review of them.

I think the most important part of the build is the layout of the bench tools on the top. I can cut a 3 ft piece of lumber on the miter saw without extra support. I also have good access to the drill press and bandsaw with zero interference from other tools. All the dust collection of the tools point in the same direction so hooking up some hoses to a shop vac should be easy enough. Here is an overhead shot so you can see the layout.

I know I mentioned that it holds four bench tools. The fourth tool would be the bench grinder. That will temporarily be put right in front of the bandsaw. I think that will work fine for the occasional use it gets.

Here is a shot of the storage that the cart offers. This is more than any other item in my shop offers:

Finally, here is a shot of one of the sides. I plan to hang some tools on there like my framing square, speed square, some smaller tools like my mallet, chisels, etc. On the other side I'll probably hang my shop vac hoses, pipes, and attachments.

·
Registered
117 Posts

This post relates to a project I've been designing in my mind for a couple of years. I've had a lot of trouble figuring out exactly how I wanted to configure everything on my cart to effectively utilize 4 bench tools (miter saw saw, band saw, drill press, and bench grinder) while still fitting a lot of storage underneath and remaining mobile.

Here is what I built

It is about 3 feet tall (not counting the casters) is 4 feet wide, and is 20" deep. I used about 1 1/2 sheets of 3/4 inch poplar plywood and half a sheet of 1/4 ply for the back. I bought casters online. They seem to work well. I'll try to remember to post a a review of them.

I think the most important part of the build is the layout of the bench tools on the top. I can cut a 3 ft piece of lumber on the miter saw without extra support. I also have good access to the drill press and bandsaw with zero interference from other tools. All the dust collection of the tools point in the same direction so hooking up some hoses to a shop vac should be easy enough. Here is an overhead shot so you can see the layout.

I know I mentioned that it holds four bench tools. The fourth tool would be the bench grinder. That will temporarily be put right in front of the bandsaw. I think that will work fine for the occasional use it gets.

Here is a shot of the storage that the cart offers. This is more than any other item in my shop offers:

Finally, here is a shot of one of the sides. I plan to hang some tools on there like my framing square, speed square, some smaller tools like my mallet, chisels, etc. On the other side I'll probably hang my shop vac hoses, pipes, and attachments.

you have a little mini shop in less than a 5 ft.² area
good job

·
Registered
222 Posts

Here is what I built

What an amazing use of space! Nice work!

·
Registered
142 Posts

Here is what I built

cool! quite a well thought out project.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Here is what I built

That is a great use of a small space. Your planning paid off.

I see you have the same BS as me. How do you like it?
Vicki

·
Registered
6,838 Posts

Here is what I built

looks very efficient. thats quite a bit of weight load you've got on this mobile workstation.

it could be the photo, and it could be me- but it seems like the center of the ply base is bowing at the center between the casters. I would personally at cross braces to the base, or at least a face frame to the cabinet to give it a bit more structural support over the length of it especially with all that weight you have in and on it.

cheers ;)

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.