LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Shop Radio?

Tags
music radio
7K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  Huckleberry 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I, like quite a few on this site, enjoy listening to music while I'm working in the shop. It keeps me feeling good, and keeps my mind sharp. I can't say enough about how much I love music.

My problem is that I'm trying to figure out the best way to listen to music in my shop. Right now I plug my MP3 player into a set of low-grade computer speakers on a small shelf I put up over my workbench. While this is ultimately functional in delivering sound from a source, I don't find it ideal in a couple departments. The max volume isn't enough for a 3 stall garage. There is no remote for adjusting volume from across the shop. Can't use CDs or listen to the radio (like listening to baseball games on AM).

I was curious what the rest of you use to listen to music in your workspaces.

#2 ·
i just have a radio high on top of a cabinet by the window, wich is the only place where i can recieve my favorite station.
the radio is always plugged in so that i know when the power is on/of because i completely shut down the power to the shop when im not in there.

im looking for a wireless system to listen to the radio while working on noisy machines.
others have their opinions, but personally i find that i am more concentrated whith a background music, when im working on a machine and theres no music i start thinking too much about other stuff and make more mistakes.

#3 ·
I have a jvc stereo from craigslist, still cant get radio in the shop so I listen to ipod. just found some AR tower speakers at the transfer station and will see if they work today. the ipod has about 1600 songs so i have a lot of variety

#4 ·
For $75 and Craigslist I found a Pioneer system with 100 CD player, cassette deck, 150 watts/ channel and surround sound that I can plug my ipod into also. When I put wall cabinets in I left enough space btw the ceiling that I can fit the system up there. Shop is 24 x 40 and it will blow the cobwebs out as needed, wherever they may be.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have the Milwaukee job site radio with an ipod attached (the radio has a nice dust free compartment for protecting the ipod)....I have streaming music from Pandora or Rhapsody (when I am near a wireless hot spot - such as my shop) and all my cd library (for times I am not near a wireless spot) on the ipod. This has worked great for me…the Job site radio has excellent sound and speakers for a "boom box" type set up and it is built to be in a dusty environment..The radio is excellent and picks up even the hard to get stations in my area….it also runs on any of the Milwaukee batteries (10v, 18v, 28v…etc etc)...which is nice when you don't have a plug nearby….Also, it has a car lighter power off take in the back which I can use to charge my ipod (or for any mp3 player you might want). I've had this setup for several years and it is working great for me.

#6 ·
GARAGE SALES! I was out last weekend and I had to see at least 5 nice size (at least 5 disk changer size) for no more than $25. Now that is a steal IMO. I didn't think about it to much until I got to the last couple I seen and started looking for an auxiliary port to plug in a MP3 players or my Blackberry. I may go looking for one this weekend.

I only have a small 2 car garage and use a new cheap "Boom Box" and it seems to do pretty decent. I was very close to getting XM at the house as well until I discovered Pandora. I simply made an account on Pandora.com and created a few stations (which is 100% free) and then log on with my Blackberry. I got one of those jumper cables that connects from the ear phone port on these different gadgets to a radio auxiliary input. I get to listen to my hard rock that I like (you customize your play list) and can hear my phone ring or me getting a text over the radio….. I am constantly thanking my hip 16 year old daughter for hooking "Ole Dad" up….lol

#7 ·
AO Safety makes hearing protection called WorkTunes with a built-in radio and a jack to plug in an MP3 player or portable CD player. And you never get too far away to hear it since it's attached to your head!

If you wanted to set up a CD changer in your shop, you could broadcast to the WorkTunes headphones with a Belkin TuneCast FM transmitter.

#8 ·
I have had a Bosch jobsite radio/cd player for about six years and couldn't be happier with it. It has AM/FM, as well as a cd player that will play MP3 encoded discs, an aux in for your media player, and a 12V - cigarette lighter type power take off for powering your players or charging a cell phone. It also has a four outlet GFCI protected power outlet built in, so you can run power tools or power other accessories off it. It will also recharge Bosch batteries as well as play off of them. If you don't have any Bosch batteries to charge you can use the covered and latched space for your CD wallet and chargers and what not.

I've never regretted buying the thing and if it ever dies, I'll go out and get another. So far, it has survived six years of jobsite abuse, going in and out of the job box or truck, and the only problem is the little rubber snap-in dustcap for the
aux in jack fell off after about four years and got lost. :)

I think the current model is the PB-10 CD.
Cheers

#9 ·
Well I took a different route and a couple of years ago when I had to get satillite tv (directv) I had a receiver installed in my shop. Now I get all the shows I care to watch (news junkie), sports and a variety of music channels. My radio reception is not very good. It works well for me.

#11 ·
I need to hear changes in equipment and the processes I'm engaged in….not the radio.

I also don't care to see employees (when I was working at a real job) stopping a line job to constantly fiddle with their MP3's and such instead of working.

I have worked with others on job sites that insisted they "can't work without my tunes!" The radio gets shut off the second time I have to repeat myself when I'm calling out numbers for cutting.

If I'm tinkering around…o.k. But, headphones to me are a no-no. I can still hear trouble coming when I'm using hearing protection, but, not when there's music playing.

#12 ·
I bought a used stereo receiver and a cheap but good-sounding pair of speakers. I can listen to mp3 with good sound quality, or NPR or any of the local college stations. Easier than dealing with earphones.

Lots of people are selling stereo gear cheap, because lots of folks are putting in 5.1 sound for home theatre, replacing their stereo system.

#14 ·
Have an old Marantz receiver and two big honkin' speakers left over from the 70's in my shop.

Have it tuned to local gospel music station, mostly for the company, can hear songs or commentary when I am doing glue-ups or drawing plans or reading or assembling, but not loud enough to hear over machines.

I am much like Catspaw, I unplug the radios when I visit to talk to staff, subtrades, or clients on our jobsites.

#22 ·
Right now I am drooling over the Vtech IS9181. It will be my shop radio shortly. It can stream internet radio as well as play MP3's from a computer on the same network. The sound quality has got to be better than the cheapo speaker I plug my Sansa Fuze into right now.

doordude - try turning the lights off with the stereo on when you get interference and see if that clears things up. Sometimes a radio will pick up interference from things on the same circuit.

#23 ·
I have a Millwaukee job site radio and like "reggiek" said its great for CD or Ipods, but mine is for the job site and "Music is just for background". In the shop I have some old combo radio CD player I grabed out of the "stuff shed" at the dump, placed a couple old Comp speakers at vaious locations in the shop, work fine.
Were I live I can get the game on FM, goodthing AM doesnt reach this far out!

#24 ·
I appreciate all of the replies. There are lots of good ideas in here.

And I can appreciate not wanting people working around you listening to loud music when you're trying to communicate. I suppose I should have made it clearer that it's for my home shop/garage, so I'm not worried about bothering anyone else.

I had considered trying to piece together a garage-sale stereo with receiver and floor speakers, and hooking that up somehow, but I worry about dust and having to periodically replace the stuff. Another downer is that I never get to garage sales, and the local Craigslist isn't very good (I've been watching electronics for over a year and nothing to suit my fancy has cropped up).

I had also considered the earmuff/headphones option, but I just don't like wearing things over/in my ears unless it's for hearing protection. I have a very bad anxiety about people sneaking up on me.

So, I settled on getting a DeWalt DC012. My first choice would be the Bosch, but already having 4 DeWalt 18v tools and 4 batteries, I don't think the Bosch does anything above and beyond that would cover the $30 and cost of a battery or two. I like the battery power option because I would like to use it on camping trips and in the yard, etc, and that option is pretty valuable to me. I'll mostly be using the radio or plugging in my MP3 player, phone, or laptop to get audio, so the aux jack is good enough.

#25 ·
I have an old AM/FM table radio … I installed a couple of speaker jacks on the back, and wired them to two 50 watt PA speakers (all weather horns). The speakers are mounted to the ceiling on opposite end s of the shop. The sound quality is surprisingly good since I didn't do anything to match impedance.

#26 ·
I'm with Catspaw-there are times when it should be off, and easily turned that way. The sound of wood being cut and the machine doing the cutting has lots of nuances in it.

That said, I mostly listen to KWAX (.com on the web) but I get it over the air. I am in an 1800 sf shop in a steel building of 7 units. I have a Ford F100 truck antenna attached outside, simple coax cable to a Radio Shack booster (AC powered) into a thrift store stereo receiver. I get all the FM choices anyone else does. All this through giant speaker enclosures (15" woofer, 8" midrange, tweeter) which are installed up high. During that process, my erstwhile employee allowed as how he would not help get them down "unless we have a fork lift." I agreed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.