LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
home made tools

I recently posted a platter on the projects page. I mentioned that I used a home made chatter tool on this. Karson asked that I post a picture of the chatter tool with the project. The photo shows an assortment of lathe tools, some home made some store bought. My challenge is to see how many lunberjocks can correctly identify the shop made tools. Correct answer will be posted sometime January 7. In the meantime you can see the tools with the project.

"here" http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12754

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
home made tools

I recently posted a platter on the projects page. I mentioned that I used a home made chatter tool on this. Karson asked that I post a picture of the chatter tool with the project. The photo shows an assortment of lathe tools, some home made some store bought. My challenge is to see how many lunberjocks can correctly identify the shop made tools. Correct answer will be posted sometime January 7. In the meantime you can see the tools with the project.

No fair. You lock us woodworkers with no turning time to be left out in the cold. (30 deg this morning. I know because I was loading the smoker with chickens, rib tips and italian sausage)

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
home made tools

Karson, I'll be over later to help "unload" the smoker!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
home made tools

The 3 with copper ferruls and (?) unfinished or finished with h2o poly and possibly the all metal one

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
home made tools

I like the use of copper pipe for ferrules and old files shaped into specialize tools. Have a bunch similar to yours. I have also used schedule 40 PVC pipe as a ferrule- not as pretty but seems to work OK.

Does the air tool have a unique function?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
home made tools

I think its the tools with the copper furrules

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shop made turning tools

I recently posted a maple platter with chatter work done between the rim treatment. Karson asked that I post picture of the chatter tool. I posted a photo of several home made or shop altered tools that I use on the same project page. Several jocks volunteered guesses as to which tools were home made and which were not. Following is a recap of what each tool is from left to right:

1. bowl gouge custom ground the left wing is ground back very shallow enables me to get into tight spaces
2. old file ground down, heat tempered, fitted to a handle and used as a scraper
3. custom scraper cut from an old hand saw, ground down to shape, heat tempered. Attached to a piece of HSS rod that had a slot cut, drill and tapped to hold the scraper in place
4. piece of HSS rod sharpen to a V point
5. old gear tooth fitted to HHS bar that had slot cut drilled and tapped this is now a custom chatter tool
6. old window spline tool used as a chatter tool
7. old broken diamond point skew resharpened and profiled used as a parting tool
8. HSS bar steel ground to bedan shape
9. HSS bar steel ground to small spindle gouge
10. HSS bar steel ground to spindle gouge
11. high speed air saw with blade removed. I drilled a hole the size of a 16 penny framing nail in the blade holder. Cut the head off one end of a 16 penny framing nail and sharpened the other end. What used to be the head end of the nail is pushed into the hole that was drilled in the saw blade holder. This is now a high speed chatter tool.

Most the handles are salvaged from turning tools that I pick up at junk sales and flea markets. All those extra allen wrenches that are laying around become custom made small hollowing tools.

You can see the project and the tools by clicking here:

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Shop made turning tools

I recently posted a maple platter with chatter work done between the rim treatment. Karson asked that I post picture of the chatter tool. I posted a photo of several home made or shop altered tools that I use on the same project page. Several jocks volunteered guesses as to which tools were home made and which were not. Following is a recap of what each tool is from left to right:

1. bowl gouge custom ground the left wing is ground back very shallow enables me to get into tight spaces
2. old file ground down, heat tempered, fitted to a handle and used as a scraper
3. custom scraper cut from an old hand saw, ground down to shape, heat tempered. Attached to a piece of HSS rod that had a slot cut, drill and tapped to hold the scraper in place
5. old gear tooth fitted to HHS bar that had slot cut drilled and tapped this is now a custom chatter tool
7. old broken diamond point skew resharpened and profiled used as a parting tool
11. high speed air saw with blade removed. I drilled a hole the size of a 16 penny framing nail in the blade holder. Cut the head off one end of a 16 penny framing nail and sharpened the other end. What used to be the head end of the nail is pushed into the hole that was drilled in the saw blade holder. This is now a high speed chatter tool.

Most the handles are salvaged from turning tools that I pick up at junk sales and flea markets. All those extra allen wrenches that are laying around become custom made small hollowing tools.

Great collection, Jeff!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Shop made turning tools

Thanks Jeff.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shop made turning tools

I bought the high speed air saw at Harbor Freight on sale for $10.00 also picked up an high speed air powered mini-right angle drill that will take a 1/4" shaft. I use this to sand the inside of bowls. It is great for getting into tight spaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.