LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
2541 - 2550 of 2550 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Me - "So that I'm respectful of your time, I'll be up front that I'm only interested in paying $10 in its current condition. I'm going to have to put a lot of work to get it cleaned up but I do plan on keeping it to practice sharpening handsaws. Are you willing to part with it for less than what you're asking?"

"I've already checked ebay for comparable clamps. Mine is priced far less that what I see them selling for and in much better condition. I think I will just hold on to it. Thank you for you interest."

Internally my reaction : Gah! If it's going for 30 on ebay, sell it on ebay! What are you wasting time on Craigslist for??

My response:
"Sounds like that might be a better market to try to sell it but if it has sentimental value to it, I personally would not risk selling it to an unknown buyer.. a hipster steam punk artist might turn a piece of Americana into some trashy art piece. Selling it locally at least affords you the possibility of meeting its new owner and have some peace in knowing it'll be used for what it was originally designed for. Here are my brand new saw files (bahco set from Lee valley) and all the work I have ahead of me!
Wood Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Cable Electrical wiring

I wish you the best in your endeavor! Let me know if you'll reconsider

-John (sales guy trying to overcome obstacles) :)
"
You think that'll drop his price??

Attachments

· Registered
5,099 Posts
It might but not low enough. People are odd creatures some times. Offering 33% of asking price on something no matter what it is, people get a little defensive and feel insulted. Honestly I don't think it's worth more than $10 and think for $15 you can go to a local antique store and find one in much better shape.

Now I'm not in sales, in fact I hate most people especially Kenny but if someone went to you and whatever you sell for your sales job and said "it's only worth 33% but you should sell it to me because I'm better than the other customers" I think you would probably give the same response. "I can sell it for $XX because I have before or the market reflects that, etc."

Of course in my opinion they should take at least $10 off just for shipping convenience and eBay fees they would have to deal with but that's still $10 too high for that.

· Registered
21,780 Posts
I just LOVE it when people use Ebay for a market indication. It's fine IF you know to use the advanced search and only view closed, sold items. Unfortunately a lot of people just look at current auctions and buy-it-nows and use those prices. Hell, if I did that for hand planes, I'd have went broke building my stable.

The only issue you may need to consider is location. Apparently there are saw vises available in AZ. Personally, I have never seen one in any antique stores around here. Or even at a flea market or yard sale or on CL. So, if you're in the same boat as me, it may be worth it to just cough up a little more than that one's worth to keep from having to search for one or pay even more on e-Bay.

Or, you can do what I do and cut a kerf in a stick of scrap, slide the saw in the kerf and clamp the wood in a vise. Then file the saw, get pissed off because you can't do it worth a ********************, throw the saw and wood both at the wall. Also, you're eyes will be full of salty water. It will be a combination of tears from squinting to try to see the tooth and which side it's set to, tears from frustration and sweat.

2541 - 2550 of 2550 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.