LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 551 Posts

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Still not sure on this one. I hate to sit it out but I'll have to wait until closer to the deadline to decide for sure. The last one depleted my T-track supply.

· Registered
21,780 Posts
That's cool Josh. I have a couple of ideas but I've made a firm resolve that I'm not starting anything unnecessary until I finish the stupid bench I started building last fall. We'll have to see how shop time works out. Hopefully I can wrap it up this month and free up some time to work on a swap item in May. I see Dave registered though so if you can just go ahead and give me his name, I can have a piece of shiny T-track in the mail tomorrow and be done with it ;-P

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Oh hell with it… I shouldn't play but I'm going to any way. These things are just too fun not to! I mean this is a HOBBY for me. So when shop time gets to be all work and no play, you gotta do SOMETHING, right?

I'll shoot you the email as soon as I place an order for some t-track Josh. And it AIN'T gonna be Incra Dave - I can't match the gold color on the cut ends as easily as I can with the red stuff and I'm anal like that ;-P

· Registered
21,780 Posts
In all seriousness Smitty, I know I'd be happy if I were to see a Melencolia Square show up on my porch in a couple months. And, who has too many mallets? Anyone? Anyone??? No? Didn't think so. So yeah, the mallet you made for the swap back then would be welcome in my shop too ;-P

· Registered
21,780 Posts
For some inspiration, here are all the projects from the last swap, at least the ones that people tagged properly.

Not much there I wouldn't be happy to have. Hell, I am 99% sure I'll never use a veneer hammer but I'd be tickled have that big sexy hunk of Cocobolo one Hammerthumb made just cause it's awesome.

· Registered
21,780 Posts
How do you work tool rookies (me) into the mix? Someone s bound to get screwed…

- Rrrandy
Anybody who's in this to get a great tool would be better off saving their time and money and just buying a new tool. Don't get me wrong, there's always a lot of great tools that come out but that's not why we do it. It's for the experience and because as woodworkers, most of us rarely get to make something for another craftsman who can appreciate the effort that went into it. Like papadan said, all we want from you is for you to do your best, stretch your limits and learn something new. Whatever you make will be good enough. And, you'll probably be surprised at what you can accomplish when you know it's going to another woodworker.

Jump in. Learn something and pass it on to the rest of us when you can. All we ask is that you participate, keep it fun and try to do something new or something you've done before better. Whether or not your contribution will be a regular user tool in someone's shop, it will be appreciated for what it is and what you put into it. If it's not, then it's the recipient who missed what makes these swaps great, not you!

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Yes, Kenny is building someone a bench for sure. He's building Kenny a bench ;-P

It's coming slow and steady Dave. So far I've gotten 1 mortise chopped in the last week and a half. And I don't even have that one finished :-/ Shop time is becoming a rare commodity. I've actually started getting up a couple of hours early so I can spend some time in the shop before I have to leave for work. That's when I'll be working on my swap project. I can't really work on the bench then. Pretty sure my wife would kill me if I were to be chopping mortises at 4am!

And yes Dave, you were certainly my rock in the last swap. When everyone else was ridiculing my t-track and I wanted to go cry in the corner, you always swooped in to save me. I don't know how I could have done it without you.

· Registered
21,780 Posts

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Are you committing to hand tool work on the bench? I know you re more of a power guy but a hybrid too. I m looking forward to seeing it done. I m doing slow planning of mine. Slow only because I don t plan to even start for probably a year. I have my Paul sellers bench and it works ok.

Glad I could be the steady rock in a land of quick sand. I m here for you buddy.

- ki7hy
Not hand tool only by any means, I'm definitely a hybrid guy. I used my table saw with dado to cut the tenons but I'm chopping the mortises by hand. I used the jointer and planer for my legs but the planks for the top were just too massive so they were milled completely with hand planes. This bench has definitely stretched my abilities as well as my appreciation for hand tools - particularly planes.

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Well, lets say I found an old power tool and refurbished it. Would that still be a good gift? Its not wood. Haha

- LDO2802
It's Josh's call, I'd suggest discussing it with him outside the forum if it's something you really want to do.

For my $.02, I'd say it depends on the tool and what you do to it. To be fair, we have never said "no power tools" but we have said it's okay to restore vintage tools. On the other hand, the point of the swap is push your limits, learn and interact with the group. What you give should have a little of your blood, a lot of your sweat, and maybe a few tears in it. I say if you can restore a power tool and meet those guidelines, it would be welcome in my shop. Just my $.02. Like I said though, it's ultimately up to Josh so if that's how you want to go, PM him about it.

In any event, welcome to the site and thanks for showing interest. I hope you decide to join in either way!

· Registered
21,780 Posts
You don't need a Unisaw papadan, you work too fast as it is. I think we need to restrict you to nothing but a spoon, your teeth and a roll of dental floss. Maybe then the rest of us can keep pace ;-P

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Overall I think Josh is right. Everyone usually tries to show off some skills in these things while pushing themselves pretty hard. There are some insane items that come from these. One of these days I ll be talking about one of my items….maybe.

- ki7hy
I have to disagree Dave. I'm sorry, please don't beat me again.

Given the age, I think it's in keeping with the spirit. We've said before that restoring old planes, chisels etc. is fair game. I don't think we can say if it has a cord it's out. Well, I guess we CAN say that but never have ;-)

But, I guess the bigger point for me is that there is an undeniable skill to rebuilding old iron. One of my favorite tools is my 1940's Atlas Jointer that I tore down, rebuilt, hand scraped tables and ways and completely refinished. There was no wood, but I had to fabricate parts 'cause they simply aren't available to purchase.

So, again just my $.02, but I think it may indeed be a viable entry provided, as Dave says, that it requires the effort and shows the pride that are typical of swap entries. It's Josh's call but I encourage LDO2802 to at least persue it with him. I love all tools, with and without 3-prong tails and especially old ones so I'm more than a little curious about what he has going on!

· Registered
21,780 Posts
I ve received a PM from LDO2802 and I think it is something that a lot of us would be privileged to have in the shop, so I ve decided to allow it. Welcome to the swap LDO2802

- WoodWorkJosh
YAY! Now, I have to wait 3 months to see what it is :-O

Welcome LDO!

· Registered
21,780 Posts
Well I can say that part of my project involves rehabbing a tool or 2. No power cords but I wanted to do something new :)

1 - 20 of 551 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.