LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
3,100 Posts
OK, yea, I'm retired now and I do have some time. I have three orders and a craft fair to get ready for but I do have some shop time available. If I can come up with a good solid idea, I'll jump in! I do have one I am considering. Ken, maybe it's time for the "prison shank swap item". Made famous during the screwdriver swap :p Give me a little time Josh.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Jeff, you have no excuse but to be in on this. In fact, the bar is high for you since we know your work schedule now. Plus you got a planer now! We should see some good local woods come from you.
- ki7hy
Dave, talk about no pressure! I do have an idea driving me crazy to do. So cool, I may have to make one for me also. You have successfully twisted my arm, Didn't have to twist very hard though, E-mail will be sent this evening.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
E-mail sent Josh. Dave and Ken were just too persuasive for me. :) I do have too much fun doing these swaps. This will make number four for me.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Ken, so you or me don't drive ourselves crazy this time, I've already set it up. I got your name, you got mine. We'll meet half way, in Radford, exchange swap items and have dinner. I'm buying. Sound like a plan?? :)

· Registered
3,100 Posts
There is a pallet shop no more then five minuets from my house. I have often thought of stopping there. (Even more since I bought a planer). From one bin you can fill your truck with scraps for $10.00 and another bin fill it for free. Trick is the wood is fresh, not nailed and not been soaked in chemical "X" while in shipment. (I guess the good stuff goes into pallets). Years ago I paid a guy to remove three trees that were hanging over my house, silver maples, and he asked if I wanted the wood. I had no use for it at the time. He cut the logs into 6-8 foot lengths, put them on a trailer and took them to the pallet shop who also paid him for the wood. Guess he got paid twice. I hear the shop will take any wood so it's hard to tell what is there.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
All of the above is correct! But the pallet shop is Bradshaw pallets. Located at Whitley Branch Rd, Tazewell, VA 24651. From my house, no more then five minuets drive. Three to the lake. I bet the wood is stuff they don't use for pallets, (for what ever reason) but I bet there is a place there where they keep the primo wood. The good stuff! Where they hide the walnut, cherry and maple. Just my hunch. :) My wife has stopped there, but I have yet to go by. Maybe it's time!!
Yeah, Jeff just got released from the prison down there a couple months ago :))
(Jeff is a recently retired prison gaurd for anyone who doesn t know)
- HokieKen
Since I retired March 1st I have really made the saw dust! Loving the non stressful life. So far I completed the trash can holder, the fire axe gift, two post office door banks and a collectables box. Paid my entry fee for an upcoming craft fair and started building an inventory of (so far) 5 bird feeders, (with my Sons art work), 2 jewelry boxes of gummy cherry and walnut and 2 log cabin bird houses. Just a start. Not to mention push mowing four yards. But I better get my a** busy and get a good swap item (or two) started! The clock is ticking.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
There was en error here several months ago. Many projects vanished. The title was there but the pics were gone. Several of my projects, new and old, disappeared. Several of us worked with cricket and over time the problem was resolved, (I hope). The problem was I had to go back into each "broken" project file, edit and repost the project pics. Many people did not have back up pics or no longer visit here to do that so there are many "vanished" projects. Here is an example, lumberjock Ellen from years ago project page, http://lumberjocks.com/Ellen/projects. If you look, her project "Flame box" is missing. But if you enter the project file you get this, http://lumberjocks.com/projects/9113. If you try to zoom the pictures, you get nothing. Look on her second page of projects and two more are missing. Many project posts were worse then that. Just a blank. You get all the text, comments but no pics! I have not heard of this happening recently though, I thought it was fixed.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
woodworkjosh and everyone. What I was afraid would happen, has. I seem to have overextended myself a bit and will have to drop out of the swap. Even retired I have just took on too much and as of now don't even have a hint of a progress pic. I hate to do this but the ideas seem to be hard for me to come up with and just can't get a good start. Maybe a case of "woodworkers block", between that and everything else I committed to. I'll still keep an eye on here and can't wait to see what gets made this time. Sorry guys!!

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Jeff, FWIW… If figuring out what to make is what s holding you back, I ll tell ya now, I d be tickled to get a mallet and/or marking gauge like you made for Norm in the last swap. I know we all want to do something new but ain t nothing wrong with making the same thing you made last time!

- HokieKen
Ken, I actually had thoughts of that very thing. Only make the "new and improved" version. :) I just stretched my time too thin.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Dave, I should show a pic of my shop. I bet you would say "how does Jeff ever get anything built". I would love to get a shed built, If for nothing else, the mower, weed eater, leaf blower and other things like that. Tool foot print is very much an issue for me. My work bench is an old counter to that I can only access one side.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
papadan, I know I dropped out but looking at your teaser, and knowing tools I have used over my years, I think I got your project figured out! It looks like it could be the same project I was going to undertake. In the past I have been pretty good at guessing projects from teasers, Right Ken? Time will tell! :)

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Ken, would some of my gummy cherry help out? I have quite a bit and time permitting could get you some in the mail tomorrow. Depending on USPS you could be cuttin' Saturday or Monday. It is not the same wood tone as regular cherry, a bit of an orangish tone.
Wood Plant Trunk Rectangle Grass

This has a coating of danish oil, let me know if I can help you out my friend :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.