LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,965 Posts
I'm going to have to sit this one out, too much going on. Plus, I'm not sure how to top what was made for the last one. My T-track skills just aren't up to snuff. :)

· Registered
5,965 Posts
nakmuay, I'm sitting this one out, but wanted to put my 2 cents in. Here is the text of a post I made on the last swap when a swap rookie expressed a similar hesitation.

Speaking for myself, I don't get involved in swaps because I think its an easy way to some fabulous item for my shop. Generally speaking, if it was really needed, I own it already. Swaps serve two purposes for me:

#1 and most important is that they are a way to connect to another woodworker on the site. It makes LJ's more of a community when you have some connections. I've been privileged to meet the senders of a couple of my swap items in person. They are great people and I might not have had any motivation to meet them if it wasn't for the swaps. If I receive something in a swap that is very similar to something I already own, the swap item stays and I sell, trade or give away the purchased one. I'd rather use a tool with a personal connection than one that the only point of connection is a credit card bill.

#2 is that swaps give an excuse to push myself, along with a deadline for doing so. The deadline ensures that the project will be finished and not end up as a partially complete thing cluttering up the shop even more. Some people work just fine without that impetus, but it is a help to me.

Some of the most useful tools in my shop are relatively simple. If your tool was made to the best of your current abilities and works for its intended purpose, then you are successful and I guarantee that tool will become a treasured part of another woodworker's arsenal.
And thank you for the backhanded compliment. That plane was a design that had been bouncing around my head for a while. The crazy part is that the swap was the impetus that got me actually started on construction. Without the swap, that plane might still just be an idea and a Sketchup model.

· Registered
5,965 Posts
At my local post office, you have to ask for the board game box. They have them, but keep them in the back for some reason, instead of out front with the rest of the flat rate boxes.

· Registered
5,965 Posts
I ve wondered how it works too and think the number of views and comments take the cake. What I have noticed is any shop jig, tool, or appliance will almost always get you a top 3 because we all geek out on that stuff I guess.

- ki7hy
It's some kind of points system with Favorites > comments > views, all added up over the first 24 hours after something is posted. That's why you see so many shop jigs in Top 3-they are favorited a lot because others want to build and use them. It's also why some really great projects don't make Top 3, because others aren't planning to recreate them due to a variety of reasons, such as the difficulty of construction.

If you see a project you feel is deserving, make a comment and add it to your favorites. That will help boost the points and then if you don't want to build the project, just remove it from your favorites a day or two later.

· Registered
5,965 Posts
Yeah and some people get top 3 on a project then their project post mysteriously disappears (JayT). I would presume for some sort of patent app related reason?

- HokieKen
Multi-million dollar lawsuit for patent infringement. Can't say any more until it's all resolved.

I wish.

No clue what happened to the project. One day I tried to go to the page to show it to someone else and got an error. Looking deeper, even the post that had the project card in the swap thread vanished. I've reached out to Cricket and she said that someone was going to look into it. That was a week ago and haven't heard anything, so don't know if they haven't been able to find and correct the issue or if it's just low priority.

Crazy part is that there is still a project card in the Modern American Hand Tool thread that was left alone and Google comes up with results but the links are broken.

Worst case, I'll have to post it again. Probably won't make Top 3 the second time, though. ;-)

· Registered
5,965 Posts
I got hit on that issue, too, and had to reload some pics. On this one, nothing is there any more, not in my projects or anywhere else. No title, no pics, nothing. It's like it didn't even happen, so I guess Mark Kornell never really got that plane and it was all a figment of our imaginations. Maybe the result of an MiB type neuralzyer.

Cricket was wondering if it happened when the site went down a couple weeks ago, as the project was still up the when I checked a month or so ago, but no one knows for sure. I think there are some other projects missing that were posted at the same time, as well, but am not certain about that.

Here's a copy of the project widget from another thread that is still there, but if you click on it, you just get a Page Not Found error.

· Registered
5,965 Posts
If one of the parts attached to the epoxy that needs undoing is metal, just heat it up. Most epoxy starts to lose adhesion around 160 degrees.

· Registered
5,965 Posts
I like Danish oil for a lot of purposes, too. Gives the grain enhancement of BLO, but without as much yellowing, and polyermizes faster. If you like the look of Danish oil, but want more sheen, try Minwax Antique Oil. I've been using it more lately and it's a very easy finish to use.

I like shellac for a lot of things, but haven't got to the point of wanting it as the final finish, yet. Probably need to practice with it more and apply it more in a French polish style (pad dampened with mineral spirits) to get good results.

· Registered
5,965 Posts
I ll just pull up Fridge s Bondo pose Dan. That ll bring all the gators to the yard! ;-)

- HokieKen
Why? Are gators attracted to the smell of vomit?

· Registered
5,965 Posts
And I NEVER drink a beer with fruit in it. That s like putting cream in coffee. If you don t like how it tastes, drink something else. ;-)

- HokieKen
Good sweet tea too. Anyone who can t order sweet tea where they live needs to move.

- HokieKen
So let me see if I have this straight. Adding something to coffee or beer to alter the taste is bad, but turning perfectly good iced tea into syrup by loading it up with sugar is not only OK, but desirable?

Kenny, if you don't like how iced tea tastes, drink something else. ;-)

· Registered
5,965 Posts
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy some good O1 tool steel? I just need a piece about 1/4" x 1" x 10"ish?

- WoodWorkJosh
onlinemetals.com usually has the best prices when I'm looking. I've also purchased from MSC. McMaster might have good prices, but when you add shipping, they are usually quite a bit more than the others on small quantities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.