LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all,
I am thinking about making a spindle sander.. It doesnt really have to oscillate. Maybe an old washing machine motor? Has anyone made one and have advice sources for arbor ,chucks and such?? What motor speed am I looking for? I know I could use the drill press but I thought I would build a dedicated sander….Any advice wood be great!! Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I see you have one of those fancy ridgid tablesaws…me too. I have the oscillating spindle sanders and it is a great purchase at 199. I highly recommend it.

I know you are probably trying to save some money, but this one is a real workhorse…You really get a lot of machine for the 199.

Sorry I couldnt help more…

Grub

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Not exactly what you're asking, but something to consider.

I bought a cast iron table saw extension / router table off of craigslist. . I'm sure you've seen them. The guy I bought it from made a plate to fit a hand held spindle sander , just like a router plate. It would fit a PC , similar to this.
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-121-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/dp/B00004WGQD

Yeah, that's getting costly. Just a different viewpoint.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Harbor Freight. There's a benchtop Central Machinery OSS I got for $99. Works like a dream. I love it. For that price it's not worth the hassle of rigging something up and trying to get it to work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what it sound like… It's not worth trying to put together a shop-made version… By the time you find all the pieces and put it together it would be cheaper to buy… I guess I can spend more time hacking wood! :)Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.