LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
wall bench #1 (remove/redesign/rebuild)

Don't have many pictures of the before to dig up but I'm sure in my other posts it can be seen.

Furniture Building Table Wood House

the shelf portion in this picture i took back out ( it was deeper than the bench top and kept hitting my knees on it) and gave to a neighbor who flipped it upside down and uses it to set his beer on while restoring his late 60s El Camino. It was sitting around originally made for another spot in my basement but i somehow measured wrong and it didn't fit.

The old bench, which is just inside the door of the shop and immediately to the right was just slapped together and was too small for doing much. It didn't cover the full length and was only 20 inches deep. The top was a piece of 3/4 AC ply screwed down to some 2×4 pieces. Underneath was a joke, was only good for throwing stuff and hoping it would stay put.

so i built 2 24"x 22" cubes using the material from old bench and some other cutoffs i had laying around.
Wood Shelving Floor Rectangle Flooring

i put one on each end leveled an squared them to the wall and to each other, leaving a space in the center. i then scabbed a 2×4 piece between them in back and a 2×2 piece to front. both 36 3/8" long ( if i had had enough scraps long enough i shoulda just made another cube 36"x24" but i didn't) i screwed some 1×4 pieces to the bottom and top to tie it all together.
Wood Gas Engineering Hardwood Wood stain

i then splurged and bought a sheet of 3/4 mdf and had the blue box cut it to 24" lengthwise, got home and cut it to length and made a notch to fit the doorframe on the right. Final trimmed the width when i sammiched the pieces together, just screwed them together. Cut it perfect cause i had to beat it into place with a 2×4 and a 10 lb sledge.
Then i made a couple drawers from scrap pieces of 5/8 and 3/8 ply, just like drawers for tablesaw base. these went in left side. right side will come later as it is blocked from use at the moment with the table my drill press is mounted on. A shelf made to hold my tool totes in the center. Had a small piece of 3/16 hardboard i cut and put in center work area to cover the top till i can buy some more 1/4 hardboard. Plan on trimming the outer edge with Oak like my outfeed table.
Wood Gas Building Building material Hardwood

Wood Workbench Machine tool Toolroom Table

more drawers are in the plans and drawer fronts etc, cabinet doors.. I don't know. The center is still being thought of for best use, have actually thought of making it a downdraft table using the blower shown in one of the pics. It's a work in progress of course.
Improvements are always a good thing, keep us posted. Where are you going to mount the air cleaner

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Don't have many pictures of the before to dig up but I'm sure in my other posts it can be seen.

the shelf portion in this picture i took back out ( it was deeper than the bench top and kept hitting my knees on it) and gave to a neighbor who flipped it upside down and uses it to set his beer on while restoring his late 60s El Camino. It was sitting around originally made for another spot in my basement but i somehow measured wrong and it didn't fit.

The old bench, which is just inside the door of the shop and immediately to the right was just slapped together and was too small for doing much. It didn't cover the full length and was only 20 inches deep. The top was a piece of 3/4 AC ply screwed down to some 2×4 pieces. Underneath was a joke, was only good for throwing stuff and hoping it would stay put.

so i built 2 24"x 22" cubes using the material from old bench and some other cutoffs i had laying around.

i put one on each end leveled an squared them to the wall and to each other, leaving a space in the center. i then scabbed a 2×4 piece between them in back and a 2×2 piece to front. both 36 3/8" long ( if i had had enough scraps long enough i shoulda just made another cube 36"x24" but i didn't) i screwed some 1×4 pieces to the bottom and top to tie it all together.

i then splurged and bought a sheet of 3/4 mdf and had the blue box cut it to 24" lengthwise, got home and cut it to length and made a notch to fit the doorframe on the right. Final trimmed the width when i sammiched the pieces together, just screwed them together. Cut it perfect cause i had to beat it into place with a 2×4 and a 10 lb sledge.
Then i made a couple drawers from scrap pieces of 5/8 and 3/8 ply, just like drawers for tablesaw base. these went in left side. right side will come later as it is blocked from use at the moment with the table my drill press is mounted on. A shelf made to hold my tool totes in the center. Had a small piece of 3/16 hardboard i cut and put in center work area to cover the top till i can buy some more 1/4 hardboard. Plan on trimming the outer edge with Oak like my outfeed table.

more drawers are in the plans and drawer fronts etc, cabinet doors.. I don't know. The center is still being thought of for best use, have actually thought of making it a downdraft table using the blower shown in one of the pics. It's a work in progress of course.
@NormG Somewhere in that center section I am rolling around in my mind how to configure space to have filters easy removable/replaceable and have the top of the bench, as is currently is, at the top of it. That would require me to take top off and recut though. It's a thought but not sure if it will happen, i need something that can catch the airborne dust that does float around, and having something that is multipurpose would be great considering the size of shop i have. Combining what some people have hanging from thier ceilings with a table i can use my sander on that sucks the dust as i make it.

something like Workshop addict shows HERE but stationary.

If i come up with something I will be sure to post it on up :)

Attachments

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Well done as time progresses we keep improving our work area to suite our needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,179 Posts

Can never have enough storage or work surfaces.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
wall bench #2 (top finished/center section)

Well the other day I finally got some 3/16 hardboard and had the blue box rip it to the 24.25 inches to fit on the top. I put drops of glue in key spots to keep it from moving. I then installed a rip cutoff from my hand tool bench in slow progress, damn nails imbedded/hidden in some have me frustrated. Glued screwed and plugged this to the front edge of the top. I wiped on some Early American stain to pop the grain a bit more, it has lots of figure imho.
Furniture Table Wood Floor Hardwood

Wood Table Floor Flooring Gas

Fast forward to today. I was up earlier than usual, so before I went to my physical therapy session, I went out to shop and cut some AC plywood to rough dimensions for a cabinet to go into the center section. I will have 2 more drawers and 2 cubbies for storage. After PT I came home and put the ROS to work turning the plywood into almost cabinet grade. Then I remeasured and trimmed to final size, pocketholed everything together and put in place. Next step is to put together drawers and install, finish face frame, then make drawer fronts, cabinet doors.
Table Wood Desk Floor Cabinetry

Wood Building Lighting Machine Engineering

Once bottom is done ill work in wall above. Remove the recycled, practically useless cabinets and make more suitable/useable storage. Something like Norm' s shop hutch perhaps.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Workbench

Right section will remain unfinished till I make drill press mobile.
Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Plank

Tablesaw cabinet will get same faceframe, drawer front, cabinet door treatment
Wood Shelf Shelving Hardwood Plank

Attachments

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

Well the other day I finally got some 3/16 hardboard and had the blue box rip it to the 24.25 inches to fit on the top. I put drops of glue in key spots to keep it from moving. I then installed a rip cutoff from my hand tool bench in slow progress, damn nails imbedded/hidden in some have me frustrated. Glued screwed and plugged this to the front edge of the top. I wiped on some Early American stain to pop the grain a bit more, it has lots of figure imho.

Fast forward to today. I was up earlier than usual, so before I went to my physical therapy session, I went out to shop and cut some AC plywood to rough dimensions for a cabinet to go into the center section. I will have 2 more drawers and 2 cubbies for storage. After PT I came home and put the ROS to work turning the plywood into almost cabinet grade. Then I remeasured and trimmed to final size, pocketholed everything together and put in place. Next step is to put together drawers and install, finish face frame, then make drawer fronts, cabinet doors.

Once bottom is done ill work in wall above. Remove the recycled, practically useless cabinets and make more suitable/useable storage. Something like Norm' s shop hutch perhaps.

Good job Justin!

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts

Looks good, drawers and doors won't take long and then you will be in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,745 Posts

Lookin' good, Justin. how much you want for that green stand? :)

Thanks for showing the guts of your drawers in that last photo…I think I can do that…

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Great progress Justin. Thanks for sharing!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Terry ill take some pics of how my drawers are made.. and the slides. They are pocketholed together with 3/8 sheeting for bottoms that I used router for dado. Pretty simple drawer making for shop furniture, specially when I have a bunch of scrap plywood. Would like to do dovetails, but don't have skills for them atm, and no jig for router either. All in due time.

The slides are 1/2"x3/4" strips of oak I ripped from some old flooring, glued/screwed to drawers and cabinets. Takes some finessing to get them where they dont stick but still slide and hold well. Throw some wax to them when done to lubricate a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Wood Fixture Natural material Wood stain Rectangle

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Flooring

Drawer slides for left side bank, tablesaw cabinet and upper drawe on my assembly table. To finesse them a shoulder plane would be heaven, but alas I do not have one yet.

The 2 center drawers I used cheap 18" slides.. though the drawers are over 20" deep. Its what I had so I will have to make due.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,745 Posts

Thanks for sharing those photos, Justin! I think I can make something similar from all my scraps…if i can just kick this brown recluse spider bite…trying to kill me for a week now.

Yeah, my DT's are still in the practice phase, but I'm not too shabby at cutting rabbets. As you said, all in due time…

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Take care with that bite, been there done that, have the scars to prove.

I did this method of drawers cause I tried install a full extension slide on my outfeed table upper drawer and it fell apart. I had no extra cash at the time to buy more metal slides and came up with this method, through trial and error it has turned out pretty good. I grant not being able to fully extend drawer is a small pita at times. But it's strong, the upper drawer in this bench if full of hardware, probably close to 100#. And it actually makes it easier to open and close.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Also, the drawers are from scrap ply/sheeting around the 1/2-5/8 size, metric sizes etc. Using the kreg jig on that setting and the correct screws.. some screws end up poking out slightly if you dont watch the torque settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
wall bench #3 (trim and center drawers)

Small bit of progress

So today I grabbed some pine pallet wood. I cut and planed down to the sizes needed, for the face frame. Screwed them in from face, since I didnt plan ahead to use pocket screws, and didn't want to glue them.
Wood Flooring Lumber Hardwood Event

Took a 3/8 oak dowel and cut some plugs for the screw holes.
Tire Wood Automotive tire Wheel Gas

I mixed up some 1-1-1 and got 2 coats on face frame, top banding, some of the inside. Also put some on drill press stand top.

Made and installed the drawers for center.
One drawer
Brown Wood Rectangle Natural material Plank

Showing grain of top edging, and plug contrast
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Cabinetry

Two drawers, no bottoms yet.
Wood Gas Composite material Hardwood Plywood

Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Plank

Gonna be a busy weekend so more progress in a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
wall bench #4 (drawer fronts installed and a bit more)

Got up fairly early this mornin. After a few cups of coffee and a shower I went out to the shop. I had cut, routed some roundovers, and stained/finished the drawer fronts yesterday.

Was waiting for electrical inspector to stop by and give the thumbs up on my new service connection on the house (he didn't show up till 4:30pm though said he would be there in the morning) I am all good on that, now I just gotta take the paperwork to utility company and coordinate a switch.

Left bank on, 3/8 overlap on face frame. Shimmed each drawer with a pair of quarters.

Brown Cabinetry Chest of drawers Drawer Dresser

Also painted walls yesterday
Cabinetry Wood Kitchen Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove

Center drawers
Shelf Wood Shelving Cabinetry Hardwood

The left bank was one sheet of supposedly Oak Ply from the blue box. It looked more like Oak than the Birch or Maple when I bought it but when put beside the Oak Ply I used for the center drawers it doesn't really look the same. It's ok cause I am using up cutoffs, but wasn't what I was expecting. Pulls are salvaged from an old set of cabinets I had.

Drawer fronts were stained Minwax Early American, and rattlecan Helmsman Spar Urethane ( needed to use up what I had.) Sprayed on 3 coats lightly sanded between each.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Gas Machine tool

Slapped together a small shelf for top of bench after installing drawer fronts. Top piece is pine from a pallet I salvaged from work some time bank. Dividers are extras I still had front my tablesaw cabinet. Bottom is some 3/8 sheathing I had cut off from something. Watco light walnut stain on it, used up last of what I had.

Wood Shelving Wood stain Hardwood Gas

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Wood stain

Cleaned up mess, filled up drawers (not organized yet), waxed everything, and called it a day.

Oh yeah I removed the electric plugs and reinstalled differently, will rewire and do some touch up painting another daY. Will have a subpanel installed soon once I finish moving house electrical to new main panel. No more extension cord and power strips running this shop. Well maybe power strips, but will have permanent plugs and lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,745 Posts

Got up fairly early this mornin. After a few cups of coffee and a shower I went out to the shop. I had cut, routed some roundovers, and stained/finished the drawer fronts yesterday.

Was waiting for electrical inspector to stop by and give the thumbs up on my new service connection on the house (he didn't show up till 4:30pm though said he would be there in the morning) I am all good on that, now I just gotta take the paperwork to utility company and coordinate a switch.

Left bank on, 3/8 overlap on face frame. Shimmed each drawer with a pair of quarters.

Center drawers

The left bank was one sheet of supposedly Oak Ply from the blue box. It looked more like Oak than the Birch or Maple when I bought it but when put beside the Oak Ply I used for the center drawers it doesn't really look the same. It's ok cause I am using up cutoffs, but wasn't what I was expecting. Pulls are salvaged from an old set of cabinets I had.

Drawer fronts were stained Minwax Early American, and rattlecan Helmsman Spar Urethane ( needed to use up what I had.) Sprayed on 3 coats lightly sanded between each.

Slapped together a small shelf for top of bench after installing drawer fronts. Top piece is pine from a pallet I salvaged from work some time bank. Dividers are extras I still had front my tablesaw cabinet. Bottom is some 3/8 sheathing I had cut off from something. Watco light walnut stain on it, used up last of what I had.

Cleaned up mess, filled up drawers (not organized yet), waxed everything, and called it a day.

Oh yeah I removed the electric plugs and reinstalled differently, will rewire and do some touch up painting another daY. Will have a subpanel installed soon once I finish moving house electrical to new main panel. No more extension cord and power strips running this shop. Well maybe power strips, but will have permanent plugs and lights.
Looks great, Especially the electrical upgrades!
Thanks for sharing

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts

Center drawers

Lookin good bro. Nice work

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Center drawers

You are certainly making great progress on your work space. Nicely done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Finish off lower wall bench, and other things.

Haven't blogged in a while, mainly posting things in the SotS forum as i go. Figured i would move some of it in a blog. Since last entry in this blog and during my entrys for my dutch chest and handtool workbench i have been migrating between two buildings. Recent developments on the homefront, all my woodworking stuff has to be squeezed into one. So operation Squeezeitallintobackbuilding has been going on for the last week or so.

Had some issues with my handtool workbench so i had to partially disassemble till i can address them, will be covered in that blog eventually.

This workbench i completely disassembled, as it is too big and clunky for the consolidation.

Getting rid of scrap plywood is one thing to be done, so building cabinets for powertool storage have been on the agenda. As well as other things.

My mitersaw cabinet got built last month, and i posted as a project here. It wasnt complely finished but:
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Gas

Right wing of mitersaw cabinet.
Had this 90% done before i left for work last time but didnt get installed.

Cabinetry Furniture Countertop Shelf Drawer

Cabinetry Furniture Shelf Wood Shelving

Found pieces of enough size to put doors on the lower part and right side of builtin bench. Pulls and hinges was salvaged from an old medicine cabinet i found put out in the trash, wire wheeled and sprayed satin black.

Property Furniture Cabinetry Shelving Building

Property Cabinetry Wood Kitchen appliance Drawer

Moved a few things onto bench temporarily, to give me places to stuff small stuff. Shelf on right is what is left of medicine cabinet, minus doors. Sagging mdf construction, will be trashed later.

Upper cabinets will be removed and replaced with cabinets like this:
Wood Shelving Wood stain Hardwood Shelf

Wood Shelving Gas Art Shelf

Have another in the works, just need to cut out dados for dividers and assemble. 5/8( or maybe some metric size) ply for case, 3/16 ply for dividers (had to go buy a 3/16 router bit for dados, too much adjusting to use single blade on TS and too small for dado stack. Back is some 1/4 osb, all salvaged from one place or another.
Sitting on top of my mitersaw cabinet temporarily for now. They will be installed on a french cleat system. Other sections will be bookshelves for my mags and books, some hardware storage, who knows what else, still thinking it through.

Back to wallbench:

Drawers on far left, not really organized yet, but will be soon, likely end up being some hardware storage.
Drawers slide on shopmade oak runners.
Top to bottom:
Brown Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain

Wood Gas Hardwood Plastic Wood stain

Brown Musical instrument Wood Gas Hardwood

Brown Wood Hardwood Table Wood stain

2 middle drawers got some organization with some dividers/trays, mainly left one, right is in limbo. They slide on salvaged 22" 3/4 extension cheap glides salved from an old desk.
Shelving Wood Shelf Publication Display case

Behind the middle doors: whatever i could fit in there..
Wood Cat Hardwood Flooring Bottle

Far right door/drawer:
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Gas Electronic device Wood Recreation Machine

Pancake compressor resides here now, need to plumb up some pipe throughout shop and into this section at some point, and some electrical, so it can stay semi permanently closed. Ventilation shouldnt be a problem, its not exactly airtight around the whole bench assembly. Slides of full extension 100# glides that used to be used in this bench i disassembled.

Will be a cabinet (not built yet) in front of this door on casters, but will be semi-permanent so dont want to need to be in the section all the time.

Stay tuned…

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.