LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all,

I live near Albany / Troy, NY and am going to be making some shop cabinets and shelving. Anyone know of a place to get decent shop grade plywood in the area, that is higher quality / ply's than Home Depot but cheaper than the hardwood plywood at Curtis Lumber.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've found the 3/4" plywood at Lowes/HD to be fine for shop furniture. I usually pick the birch/maple ply, or if they have the sandeply, that also works well. The pine "cabinet-grade" or "paint-grade" ply they sell has never done anything but piss me off. Every time I cut it, it warps.

What don't you like about their plywood?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Probably the massive voids even in their best quality plywood, I swear I cut 2 out 3 pieces of their birch ply the last time I went to Lowes and had a void of 12" in the center of the sheets no lie, wish I had taken pictures I brought that crap back and got my money back after fighting with the manager for 20 minutes. Its bad enough it costs almost $55 a sheet then with voids that large you can pretty much count on no structural integrity in the build at all.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Curtis has a pretty good selection. There's a place in Pulaski called Lakeshore Hardwoods that has a good reputation…never been there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, voids are an issue with the box store stuff, and like Nick stated, at $55 a sheet, I'd rather spend $65 at Curtis for some decent birch ply.

Really I'm just curious if someone knows of any other resources, since there seems to be so few in the area for plywood!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Interesting. I don't have a source around here for anything between Lowes/HD and ordering $100+ sheets. So, I usually opt for the $50 sheets from the big box. I've seen small voids but never 12". Maybe I've been lucky but I've never found a void that made the plywood near unusable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. I'm not saying the big box stuff is unusable, but was just curious if anyone had any other sources. Seems like the answer is no!

Interesting. I don t have a source around here for anything between Lowes/HD and ordering $100+ sheets. So, I usually opt for the $50 sheets from the big box. I ve seen small voids but never 12". Maybe I ve been lucky but I ve never found a void that made the plywood near unusable.

- BinghamtonEd

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
From the sounds of it, though, I wish I had a Curtis around here. I remember going to Curtis as a kid with my dad when we lived in Clifton Park, but that was maybe 25 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.