LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome and Thank You

Three years ago, I had no idea how to use a power drill. I took a shop class at my high school and it has trully changed my life. I know that sounds very overdramatic, but it is the truth. In the past two years I have learned a lot about wood working, but I still have a long way to go. Most of everything I know about wood working has came from my teacher. I am very glad that I ended up with him because if I would have not been into this as much as I am now. I have to thank him here because through him I have found a career that I want to push for and I have a hobby that I really love. I am glad to continue with this trade. I hope your not to flattered, but I say THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Welcome and Thank You

Three years ago, I had no idea how to use a power drill. I took a shop class at my high school and it has trully changed my life. I know that sounds very overdramatic, but it is the truth. In the past two years I have learned a lot about wood working, but I still have a long way to go. Most of everything I know about wood working has came from my teacher. I am very glad that I ended up with him because if I would have not been into this as much as I am now. I have to thank him here because through him I have found a career that I want to push for and I have a hobby that I really love. I am glad to continue with this trade. I hope your not to flattered, but I say THANK YOU!!!
Wood working skills passed form teacher to student creates a bond that lasts a lifetime. When in high school, I took the building construction vocational course. Although my career took a much different track, I still love wood working and I still see that high school teacher on a regular basis.

Always make him a "wooden" Christmas present (going on 45 years, now).

Lew

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and Thank You

Thats kinda funny because I want to take the constructon class but there wasnt enough students!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Welcome and Thank You

welcome to LJ's…my return to wood working a couple years ago came from a looooooong ago memory of loving woodworking in middle school…it was 25 ++ years ago…but I still remember my teacher…now I am a teacher…and although its history and psychology…the lessons of having fun, while teaching some skills and just being a genuine person…that was probably what I learned from him as much as the woodworking…

so glad you had a good experience…and that a career path is now before you…though it may change…see where it leads…good luck!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Welcome and Thank You

I remember Shop Class also. There were students there that felt it a free pass to a grade and didn't require any work. But I enjoyed. I don't know where my projects went. I made a bookcase and gave it to my parents.

I live 1000 miles away now and when they passed away I guess the furniture went the garage sale route.

I hope my current project have a better life.

Glad to have you aboard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome and Thank You

I loved wood shop in Jr. high, and it took me another 20 years to get a house, and begin building a shop of my own. If I can offer any advice it would be learn from as many different people as you can, and even more importantly TRY NEW THINGS. Who knows, you could come up with something completely new that you can pass on to all of us.

Best of luck, and Welcome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Idea Help

I am currently starting out the school year and another great year in my high school shop class, but I have one problem. I don't know what I want to build. I posted a bench that I have in mind. I also want to build a jewelery box for my mother. Those projects are great ones, but I need some more ideas. You think you cna help me out?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Idea Help

I am currently starting out the school year and another great year in my high school shop class, but I have one problem. I don't know what I want to build. I posted a bench that I have in mind. I also want to build a jewelery box for my mother. Those projects are great ones, but I need some more ideas. You think you cna help me out?
a sugar chest. great project and covers a ton of joinery. great for learning and just as an all around project.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Idea Help

Wall quilt rack, Small bedside stand, cutting board, kitchen storage cabinet

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Idea Help

I have some rough measurements for my Shaker Benches. You are welcome to use if you like.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Idea Help

Definatly anything would be helpful!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Idea Help

Sorry I did not offer more on the last post, I am in the middle of a couple things in the office here.

Here is a link to one in my projects: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/8035

They can be made 4' or 5' and in a 3 or 4 drawer configuration.

Let me dig out the file and get it posted for downloading.

In cherry you can expect to spend $250-$300. I have been selling these for $1100 to $1200 for my last ones. The last one went in a silent auction for $1550 at a fundraising event.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Idea Help

That is a really nice bench! Thank you for going through the trouble!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Idea Help

I am working on it, give me a few minutes.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Tools of the Trade

In shop I have used a try square numerous times but I never thought why it was called such. Can you help me out?
hahaha dennis!!!

I am guessing because its in the shape of a triangle…but it allows you to measure and mark a 90 degree angle…which is a square…???

but your entry makes me think--WE NEED AN LJ's Dictionary….someone can post a word/term…and in the tags put the word…and everyone can "chime" in with their definition and links to research on the topic…etc…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tools of the Trade

In shop I have used a try square numerous times but I never thought why it was called such. Can you help me out?
A try square is a woodworking or a metal working tool used for marking and measuring a piece of wood. The square refers to the tool's primary use of measuring the accuracy of a right angle (90 degrees); to try a surface is to check its straightness or correspondence to an adjoining surface.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shop Student Seeking Plans

Hey Lumberjocks,

I am a shop student here in Missouri. I have sent a few of you messages about your projects and I thank each and everyone that replied. Now to the rest of you, I need a little more help. My shop teacher, tooldad, has assigned a project for my class. We have to find varriations of our projects. Well, I am building an English Garden Bench, the very same one that Norm built on the New Yankee Workshop. So my question to all of you is, if you have made an outdoor bench of some sort, if you could send me a few pictures and possibly some dimensions, I would be very greatfull. Just send me an e-mail to [email protected] Again, thank you to those who have already helped!

Thanks again Lumberjocks, Nathan

P.S. I get extra credit for any plans that I get as well.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Shop Student Seeking Plans

Hey Lumberjocks,

I am a shop student here in Missouri. I have sent a few of you messages about your projects and I thank each and everyone that replied. Now to the rest of you, I need a little more help. My shop teacher, tooldad, has assigned a project for my class. We have to find varriations of our projects. Well, I am building an English Garden Bench, the very same one that Norm built on the New Yankee Workshop. So my question to all of you is, if you have made an outdoor bench of some sort, if you could send me a few pictures and possibly some dimensions, I would be very greatfull. Just send me an e-mail to [email protected] Again, thank you to those who have already helped!

Thanks again Lumberjocks, Nathan

P.S. I get extra credit for any plans that I get as well.
Nathan, I wish that I had something to help you, bud. I've never built a garden bench, so therefore am of no help at this time, but as I recall, you guys are here in town, STL, so don't hesitate to ask me for any help if you need it for anything else.

Ric

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.