LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just venting i guess. Is it me or have sheet good prices increased again. I know home center prices aren't the greatest but 33 bucks for a 4×8x3/4" MDF and a piece of sand ply is no better…. come on! I am really getting tired of being ripped off. I totally hate politics also but to boot our money is supporting other countries .

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
i think it's been said on this site, but some people say you can go to the pro desk and order whatever grade / country of origin for sheet goods that you want. just an FYI. Price is set by supply and demand. Not much anyone can do about that.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
You need to go to a good lumber yard to get good stuff. Those box stores only sell junk they make the most money from. They take care of their pocket by invading yours

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would happily take that $33 price. :) The last time I bought a 4×8 sheet of 3/4" MDF, it cost $55. The nearest Lowe's, which is about a 250 mile round trip, lists it at $31 right now. If I wanted to drive all day, it wouldn't take too many sheets at that price to offset the cost-even with today's gas prices!

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
WOW you guys are getting hit hard. The Lowes just down the street from me lists 3/4" sheets for $24.95. And I am not sure by how much, but I do know that Lowes is higher than Home Depot on MDF…

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Not sure of all stores, but in my experience the Lowes MDF is a denser MDF than HD's. But, by the same token, I've gotten different grades at different times from "real" lumber yards, too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Last sheet of 3/4" MDF was in the $20-$25 range at Lowes. Their 3/4" birch play was on it's way to $45….I found Maple ply at a Menard's for $55 but it was so much better….considerably thicker and Made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
if 33 bucks is too much for a sheet of MDF as I have ZERO idea what a sheet of that pulverized brown sawdust, pressure packed and pressed,sanded and buffed, sorted and stacked, processed, delivered and placed into the racks, pave the parking lot, buy the lights, cool it, heat it, hire the no brainers and then try and sell it?

Do tell me?

What would you sell a sheet for? if you made it? What would you charge?

perhaps it could be made elsewhere for cheaper and every one would still complian?

on a framing square…....................you show me the spot that reads "Life is fair"?........"Square" maybe? but never fair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.