LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm venturing into a new area of woodturning - collecting my own green wood, and have a question as I begin. In the past few weeks I've had the opportunity to collect some wood from friends and family. Eventually I'll be working this into bowls, but with the quantity and my time availability, some of this stuff will not be touched for quite a while.

What are some of the products that you guys use to seal the endgrain of green wood?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
There is always Anchorseal (available online and through numerous woodworking supply outfits.

Some guys use melted paraffin wax (the kind you find in grocery stores for canning).

I have used latex house paint on some pieces, but lately have been using a product from a local company (Velvit Products, Neenah, Wisconsin).

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're careful and do it outside, gently playing a propane torch over a block of parafin (or used candles from your church if you can stand the aromas) applied to the surface of end grain is very effective and very fast.

·
Registered
244 Posts
One of the woodworking magazines had a formula for a wood preservative once, said take a quart of linseed oil, add to paint thinner, and melt something like a pint of parafin wax melted, and pour it into paint thinner while stirring, the whole volume one gallon. I tried it, was a pretty good sealer for bare wood. The parafin stayed liquid in the mix. Wonder if that mixture would make a good sealer for log ends. You can spray the stuff so if you were close to your air compressor or electricity it would be quick and easy. Might even work with a hand garden sprayer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm trying bargain store PVA wood glue at the moment, and it appears to be working rather well so far. I've used it on Holly, Cherry, Apple, Sycamore, Ash, Oak, & Mahonia with good results. Just smear a layer on, allow to dry over-night, then same again & leave it. I've not had any real checking so far, just a tiny bit that will easily cut away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.