LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am a big fan of scraper planes. I have a #112, like Wayne, as well as some #80s and even some scraper planes that I made out of wood, and I would not want to be without them. One of the biggest advantage of scraper planes I find is that the sole keeps the scraping from causing undulations. With a card scraper, once you get a tad of chatter and the surface starts to undulate, it is difficult to keep the card scraper from following the undulations. They also work great in lue of a hand plane when working particularly difficult grain that is prone to tear out. I even have some mini scraper planes for removing the machine marks on the edges of boards. I find that when using a card scraper for this task it is too easy to roll over the edge.

My mini-scraper planes can be seen here. I have not posted pictures of my full size wooden scraper planes yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.