LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Brothers...
Does anyone know of a source for a replacement plastic guard for my MiniMax FS 35 Jointer/Planer Combo? No luck at the SCM (SCMI) website... or perhaps a DIY version?
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

· Registered
387 Posts
If you've heard of Matthias Wandel, he built his own 12 inch jointer and used a plywood guard. You can see what he did in the 4th and 5th images of this blog - Building a Jointer part 2
If you go to the plans you can see an exploded view of the parts for it. Seems pretty simple to put together if you can modify his design to fit your machine.

· Registered
6,249 Posts
Not surprising you can not buy parts online for FS35 jointer/planer made back in 80/90's. SCM/Minmax is old school "direct" sales company. SCM sells mostly to commercial market and very little on the web. Did you call the corporate office, ask for parts department, and see if you can order the part. That would be my first place to look. ;)

Several of the MinMax facilities that SCM purchased in Italy have been closed/downsized, with many parts, assemblies, even entire machines; are being made in Asia. Might be able to find a clone of FS35 jointer/planer online. If you can find a clone sold by another OEM or the mfg; they might have an original guard assembly.

If all else fails,
+1 build your own.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who have replied with suggestions. I will probably try to build one myself, as I suspect that the price for a replacement guard, assuming that I can find one, will be exorbitant.
As an example, I recently contacted SHELDON (in the UK) to see if I could get a set of replacement half-nuts for my SHELDON 13 x 36 Inch M-Series Metal Lathe. They said "yes", they are available, but they wanted $4,498.00 for a set, Delivery in 8-10 weeks! I will be making my own set of half-nuts as well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts