SawStop - Overam Dust Collection Assembly (Rating: 3)

Someone asked me a follow-up question on my review of my SawStop 3HP PCS, and I thought it would be worth it to answer it in a standalone review for others to see.

I'd noted in my review that I had to buy a different connection for the overarm dust collection assembly, which is one of the optional accessories with the SawStop table saws. In general, I really like the extra dust collection capabilities of this accessory - for most cuts, there's just no dust left over on the table. But I had to make an adjustment to get there which was sort of annoying, so let me explain.

If you look at the first picture, you'll see near the bottom-left their 2 1/2in to 4in connection fitting. It's meant to go over the 4in O.D. output port in the bottom back of the saw, and you bring the 2 1/2in overarm tube into it to connect them into your 4in flexible tube to your main DC system. The problem is, their factory fitting brings in the 2 1/2in tube at a 90 degree angle, which makes absolutely no sense at all. You don't have to be a HVAC expert to know that 90 degree angles in air flow are suboptimal. So I bought a Y fitting like this one to bring the 2 1/2in tube in at a 45 degree angle. Of course, that fitting is a 4in O.D. (outside diameter) which bumps right up against the 4in O.D. of the cabinet, so I had to buy a rubber connector and clamp them together, see third picture. It works well, but I don't like the fact that the whole apparatus sits pretty far away from the saw, making it hard to roll my workbench/outfeed table right up to it (the dust tube gets in the way). And I generally don't like having to buy all sorts of "fixes" for something that's just supposed to work really well. It's why the overall system only gets three stars from me - this would have been an easy fix for SawStop, just include a Y-fitting with the saw. For a company that crushes the competition in terms of packaging and ease of installation and generally making the process really easy, this seemed like a needless oversight.

One last note on the overam dust collection assembly - the final way to optimize the capability of it is to make sure your overarm is pushed back as far away from the blade as possible so you minimize the amount of angle changes right off the blade. The second picture shows the system in exactly the opposite configuration (angled back up over the saw, away from my workbench), so I'm saying when I get ready to make a cut, I make sure to push the arm out over the workbench as far as it will go.

Hope this helps!