LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Why in the world would someone purchase a stop saw and remove the electric motor in favor of a hydraulic one that wouldn't allow use of the only safety feature that makes the saw worth more (to some)?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Most likely for religious reasons. Like maybe the Amish. Or maybe they have no electricity.

Why in the world would someone purchase a stop saw and remove the electric motor in favor of a hydraulic one that wouldn t allow use of the only safety feature that makes the saw worth more (to some)?

- bigblockyeti

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I've seen electric motors replaced for just that reason, but that they would start with a saw with a now deactivated safety feature some are willing to pay a premium for is confounding?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any chance you want to sell one? I m just down in Shaker Heights. I can t message you since I ve always just been a lurker on here and dont have 5 posts yet.

I came here to learn if I can sell or exchange tools that I would like to sell or trade that are extras in my shop with other lumberjockers. Like you I have not made my five post limit yet in one day.
Yes I would be interested in selling one of the SS new motors.

- colbyg
Look at the frame on the motor tag. If its the same frame as a unisaw motor than they are interchangeable.

- Minorhero

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most likely for religious reasons. Like maybe the Amish. Or maybe they have no electricity.

Hi bigblockyeti,
Have hung out in Amish shops for over 40 years in NY, Ohio and PA selling coatings. Their network is their life and I have found that you must get their trust. The faith, family and business in that order is their life.
One key shop buys a sawstop saw and soon their are hundreds in the community.
Ps the sawstop is set up without the electric motor (only) all the safety features are used and run with batteries and air. The conversion I have been told costs more than @ 1200. dollars with the new hydro motor etc.

Why in the world would someone purchase a stop saw and remove the electric motor in favor of a hydraulic one that wouldn t allow use of the only safety feature that makes the saw worth more (to some)?

- bigblockyeti

- AlaskaGuy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any chance you want to sell one? I m just down in Shaker Heights. I can t message you since I ve always just been a lurker on here and dont have 5 posts yet.

I came here to learn if I can sell or exchange tools that I would like to sell or trade that are extras in my shop with other lumberjockers. Like you I have not made my five post limit yet in one day.
Yes I would be interested in selling one of the SS new motors.

- colbyg

Look at the frame on the motor tag. If its the same frame as a unisaw motor than they are interchangeable.

- Minorhero

The tag on the SawStop motor does not list the frame ?, The UniSaw I have is a 143Y and as I understand the frame code the Y just means it is a special production for a specific application.
Can anyone give a better explanation to this.
I also bought a new motor from another Amish shop that looks (and has the same motor tag) as the Saw Stop but it has a 56 frame? (again no frame listed on tag)

- 220SF

- Minorhero

- Minorhero

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
I would be real surprised if that's the same as a Unisaw motor; Unisaws have those "ears" for mounting that are a little unique. But if what you think is true, you'll have no problem selling them at a fair price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be real surprised if that s the same as a Unisaw motor; Unisaws have those "ears" for mounting that are a little unique. But if what you think is true, you ll have no problem selling them at a fair price.

- Fred Hargis
Fred, you were correct it is not exact, however it was very easy to trim the one ear mount with a cutoff wheel on my grinder and two 1/8 washers as spacers on the frame mount, wired up working fine. Ps the Unisaw motor uses 26 inch belts and I had to use 25 inch with the sawstop motor. Very positive blade break on this motor also.
I have another saw stop 3hp motor as well as a Unisaw Bullit nose 1 1/2 hp and the 1725 rpm pulley to sell now!

220sf Russ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.