LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello,
Hoping someone can help me with this…
I filed and set a Disston D-8 crosscut 8tpi yesterday. 15 degrees rack, 20 degrees fleam. Teeth points are all nice and sharp, as well as slightly set.
It followed the line with no guiding when I made a cut down a piece of 5/4 pine, but I found the cut was really ragged and even though it followed the line, it was extremely course… almost as rough as a chainsaw. Did I do something wrong? Did a 10 TPI Atkins and it came out great. Cut was smooth and square.
Thanks!

Wood Gas Hardwood Composite material Flooring

Wood Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Wood Floor Flooring Shipping box Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Try running a stone lightly down the sides of the teeth, flush with the plate. You may have some burrs on the edge of the teeth from filing. At least that's my thought.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
+1 Chrisstef

you need to flush the teeth and that will level the set. Sometimes a burr, or perhaps a tooth or two that got set a little deeper than the rest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.