LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vanity Is A Little Rustic

I've been feeling like a mad scientist in my secret lab. Working on a project and not sharing the process. So I thought as this vanity gets built I'd try to keep a record. I am building a vanity to go in my bathroom. My design needed to fit existing materials. I'm using pine logs, distressed alder, willow twigs, a maple carving and maybe some stones. I already have a sink. It is a 30X20 inch wall mount second hand sink. That should go great with the cast iron tub. Originally I planned on using the claw feet from an old tub to mount the cabinet on but with the bath so small I realized I'd never get to see the feet. I started by drawing a "floor plan".

I've developed a specific form of construction to accommodate my different materials. I have to build it in such a way that I can take it all apart to glaze and spray the finish then reassemble it. I scribe fit most every thing to the logs. It is also a tight fit in the house so I have to be very careful with my measurements. Things are changing all the time as I build. I change the door style today, because I didn't have the hinges I thought I had.

This is the part I really enjoy. Getting the different materials and forms into harmony with each other. Working with curves, angles, and proportions. I also plan a medicine chest at the same time so I'll be on this project for awhile.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I've been feeling like a mad scientist in my secret lab. Working on a project and not sharing the process. So I thought as this vanity gets built I'd try to keep a record. I am building a vanity to go in my bathroom. My design needed to fit existing materials. I'm using pine logs, distressed alder, willow twigs, a maple carving and maybe some stones. I already have a sink. It is a 30X20 inch wall mount second hand sink. That should go great with the cast iron tub. Originally I planned on using the claw feet from an old tub to mount the cabinet on but with the bath so small I realized I'd never get to see the feet. I started by drawing a "floor plan".

I've developed a specific form of construction to accommodate my different materials. I have to build it in such a way that I can take it all apart to glaze and spray the finish then reassemble it. I scribe fit most every thing to the logs. It is also a tight fit in the house so I have to be very careful with my measurements. Things are changing all the time as I build. I change the door style today, because I didn't have the hinges I thought I had.

This is the part I really enjoy. Getting the different materials and forms into harmony with each other. Working with curves, angles, and proportions. I also plan a medicine chest at the same time so I'll be on this project for awhile.
amazing construction, nice work.

·
In Loving Memory
1,494 Posts

Hi Dennis;
--very good reading, and so the project of a rustic vanity creates the need of a story to tell-write!

I have to laugh at myself sometimes when I think of all the writing that is involved in being a worker of wood, and then there was the time we thought we were only wood workers. Never again, as now we blog those wood projects as stories for others to read.

Also I like how you have incorporated those pine logs into the front of the piece.
GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
4,569 Posts

That is some of the neatest looking pine I've seen. How are you planing to finish? With a clear coat to show off those pine logs? I can hardly wait to see what you are going to do with the willow twigs.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Looking forward to the finished project

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Those pine logs will be scraped and sanded just a bit then clear coated. I like to leave as much character as I can.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

this is wonderful !
I have to admit (blushing with embarassment) that in the past when looking at cool furniture or wood products, I was only in awe of the finished pieces or I should say that I only SAW finished pieces. Now, I see the planning, the creating, the skinned knuckles, the sweat, the sawdust, the master at work….

Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to see it alll installed !!

·
Registered
46 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished product. My plans are usually scribbled on a piece of scrap paper with general dimensions. Your layout shows time wisely spent in preparation.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More Vanity

Started my work day carving a bit of maple. This will sit right in the top center of the cabinet. The branch motif just keeps showing up. I just like its simplicity.

Added a magazine rack and a shelf to the toilet side of the vanity and two shelves to the tub side. This might look cluttery on the cabinet but it should help keep the bathroom from looking cluttery. One of the nice things about custom woodworking is we can really build it for how people live. I my house we never put the paper on the roll, but we will put it on a shelf!

Now I start designing the medicine chest. I want to get everything to this preassembly stage before I start taking everything apart to glaze and finish. I'm looking forward to designing the chest. I'm really looking forward to not having all my stuff in bags in a box on the floor!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
More Vanity

Started my work day carving a bit of maple. This will sit right in the top center of the cabinet. The branch motif just keeps showing up. I just like its simplicity.

Added a magazine rack and a shelf to the toilet side of the vanity and two shelves to the tub side. This might look cluttery on the cabinet but it should help keep the bathroom from looking cluttery. One of the nice things about custom woodworking is we can really build it for how people live. I my house we never put the paper on the roll, but we will put it on a shelf!

Now I start designing the medicine chest. I want to get everything to this preassembly stage before I start taking everything apart to glaze and finish. I'm looking forward to designing the chest. I'm really looking forward to not having all my stuff in bags in a box on the floor!
How big is the bathroom?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More Vanity

It's about 6'X9'

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
More Vanity

Very nice… enjoying the step by step. Interesting point about not bothering to use a roll for the paper… must eliminate at least one of the stereotypical arguments ;)

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vanity and Mirrow

Hard to get to the shop some days. I got talked into giving someone an estimates for a kitchen. So I spent a good day calling around for prices on material, drawing plans, and racking my brain trying to remember how I did this. It's been a few years. Do I really want to do this again? I have managed to get the medicine chest roughed out. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the doors done and be able to start destressing the alder.

I'll need to get it out of the shop if I end up doing a kitchen. So time becomes a big deal again. With that I guess money is becoming a big deal again to. I've really enjoyed taking some time with this vanity and doing it my way. Much of my house has been built with winter breathing down my back and with the bills screaming on my desk. Every thing is paid I just don't ever know how much I'll make month to month or even day to day. So maybe just this one kitchen…

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

Hard to get to the shop some days. I got talked into giving someone an estimates for a kitchen. So I spent a good day calling around for prices on material, drawing plans, and racking my brain trying to remember how I did this. It's been a few years. Do I really want to do this again? I have managed to get the medicine chest roughed out. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the doors done and be able to start destressing the alder.

I'll need to get it out of the shop if I end up doing a kitchen. So time becomes a big deal again. With that I guess money is becoming a big deal again to. I've really enjoyed taking some time with this vanity and doing it my way. Much of my house has been built with winter breathing down my back and with the bills screaming on my desk. Every thing is paid I just don't ever know how much I'll make month to month or even day to day. So maybe just this one kitchen…
Now you are up to 9 read Dennis.

Good luck on the kitchen, Make a bundle.

·
In Loving Memory
1,494 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

Hi Dennis;
--well I hear what your saying about winter. My bills just never stop and then some….however I was encouraged this evening as I was bringing the wood in.. I happened to notice that the light is hanging around longer, makes me kinda happy, since longer days means longer time to work outside!

Have a good Saturday!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

Dennis, this is the classic conundrum of an artist. Do you do what you want to do, or what you must do?

Imagine poor old Buonarroti (better known as Mike, or Michaelangelo) lying on his back for four years painting the Sistine Chapel. I'm sure at some point he must have muttered - "What am I doing here? My back is killing me! I would much rather be back in my shop working on that statue of Dave." But then he remembered his wife and kids back home and the candle wax bills - so on he pressed.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

I'm always (well it seems that way) taking on projects I should enjoy, and end up kicking myself for it, and just seem to want to be done and onto the next thing. Somethings snowball, others I lose interest, or patience in, or perhaps more accurately, I get more excited by whats next than what's now.

I suppose for me, a balance of jobs I want to do, mixed with an (hopefully) equal share of jobs I have to do would be fine - karmically speaking. - one project for the shop, (or house) for each one for a customer… an hour of play, for each hour worked.

Might not be the ideal, might not even seem possible in this country (if we're working for 'the man') but it seems fair and possible…

I am happy to see that we're practically half-way through february, and I haven't had to drag out - or rather, use, the snowblower. just a quick shoveling once. Sure it's cold and the firewood pile is dwindleing - but the sun is rising earlier, and thoughts turn to the garden, which leads to long days, and "plenty of time" to do what we will (if we can turn off the TV that is :)

oh, and to stay a bit closer to topic…. I am enjoying the process of this project, and being somewhat at home in the kitchen, I'll enjoy following that along too - if you so choose.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

oh, and the distressing part should be fun!

·
In Loving Memory
1,494 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

--yes, I'm really following you as you explain the 'distressing of wood' and how you do it!
Frank

·
Registered
56,015 Posts
Vanity and Mirrow

Dennis,

I like the looks of the vanity and mirror you are making, looking forward to seeing the finished product. I hear what you are saying about the money speaking louder than the enjoyment of working on your own things.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.