LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A Rustic Way of Seeing"

"A Rustic Way of Seeing"

Moving Forward:
....and so it is with my body in check, that i have opened the windows of my heavenly mind, where as i do so now, my imagination takes to the freedom of unsolicited thought and the freeways of unwavering time travel….

--and what is this thing i call 'unwavering time travel', if not the epic journey of one who is heaven sent or hell bent, on reaching the artistic expression of creating 'one of a kind', as not after their own kind but the kind that i find in out of way places….

--to some the art of rustic is the fear of undetermined ground rules, as if what will happen when this takes hold of me, and so i shall seek to staying by playing where there are others of like mind, just as i am comfortable in the traditions of all my elders….

--i am the laughing dementia of a gaping fools mindset, where all my dreams are being played out across the canvas of fleshed out wood, while in this place of creating what the gods wrote in after taking notice, i am pulling forth as life to give a place for all that speaks of who i am-- "you are 'RusticWoodArt'...."

An Introduction:

I have been thinking about 'rustic' and what this means to me as in the creations of 'wood art' that draws me to create and gives me my artistic license for freedom of expression. I am a lover of the woods that surround me and so it is into these forests of living trees that I go, on a daily basis to see and hear what nature in all her beauty is waiting to speak. This lady is ever wanting to whisper into my ears the beauty of her wholesome character, that I have found within as I sit in the silence of her golden temples, where the trees have taught me, just as if I were one of their own.

It is with this in mind, that I will attempt over some time and thought in the coming days….weeks, to express a little of what 'rustic' means to me. This is by means no small feat, and as I am no expert, I will speak mainly for myself by giving some history as to where 'rustic-wood-art' has come from and why there are no ground rules to go by for the making of such.

It has been said; that "nature abhors a straight line", by William Kent and as I look at my beginnings I also bear witness to this belief. Where can one go in the forest amongst the trees and see straight lines? Have you ever tracked an animal and followed a straight line? Why even the sunlight that streams down through the tree tops is bent and casting altered forms of shadows by the time that sunbeam hits ground level. Why right now as I write this, a large tom turkey is walking across the snow outside my window as he looks for food and yet the trail he leaves behind is one that wanders an un-straight line. To my way of thinking, nature not only abhors a straight line, but she cannot even think of such foolishness or even will herself to live that way.

Rustic or 'tree art' as some have originally called it, first came to us from England. It is from this taste for tree art, that had it's beginnings in the eighteenth century, along with many other styles at the same time, that bent and twisted, twiggy tree art has come forth. Tree furniture and the garden ordainments that came with it first started showing up on the landscape of Europe by the 1740's and it is from this that I borrow a picture from, A New Book of Chinese Designs, published in 1754.

....'chinoiserie' as seen and expressed in the art form of garden furniture….

Please note that a lot of what I write about comes from a study in nature, as taught to me by nature herself and many of the pictures that I post will be coming also from a wonderful book on rustic furniture, "Adirondack Furniture and the Rustic Tradition" by Craig Gilborn. This is a book that I have read and re-read many times along with many others in my pursuit of rustic and the 'wood art' that comes to me out of the forest of trees.

....to be continued….

Thank you.
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
"A Rustic Way of Seeing"

"A Rustic Way of Seeing"

Moving Forward:
....and so it is with my body in check, that i have opened the windows of my heavenly mind, where as i do so now, my imagination takes to the freedom of unsolicited thought and the freeways of unwavering time travel….

--and what is this thing i call 'unwavering time travel', if not the epic journey of one who is heaven sent or hell bent, on reaching the artistic expression of creating 'one of a kind', as not after their own kind but the kind that i find in out of way places….

--to some the art of rustic is the fear of undetermined ground rules, as if what will happen when this takes hold of me, and so i shall seek to staying by playing where there are others of like mind, just as i am comfortable in the traditions of all my elders….

--i am the laughing dementia of a gaping fools mindset, where all my dreams are being played out across the canvas of fleshed out wood, while in this place of creating what the gods wrote in after taking notice, i am pulling forth as life to give a place for all that speaks of who i am-- "you are 'RusticWoodArt'...."

An Introduction:

I have been thinking about 'rustic' and what this means to me as in the creations of 'wood art' that draws me to create and gives me my artistic license for freedom of expression. I am a lover of the woods that surround me and so it is into these forests of living trees that I go, on a daily basis to see and hear what nature in all her beauty is waiting to speak. This lady is ever wanting to whisper into my ears the beauty of her wholesome character, that I have found within as I sit in the silence of her golden temples, where the trees have taught me, just as if I were one of their own.

It is with this in mind, that I will attempt over some time and thought in the coming days….weeks, to express a little of what 'rustic' means to me. This is by means no small feat, and as I am no expert, I will speak mainly for myself by giving some history as to where 'rustic-wood-art' has come from and why there are no ground rules to go by for the making of such.

It has been said; that "nature abhors a straight line", by William Kent and as I look at my beginnings I also bear witness to this belief. Where can one go in the forest amongst the trees and see straight lines? Have you ever tracked an animal and followed a straight line? Why even the sunlight that streams down through the tree tops is bent and casting altered forms of shadows by the time that sunbeam hits ground level. Why right now as I write this, a large tom turkey is walking across the snow outside my window as he looks for food and yet the trail he leaves behind is one that wanders an un-straight line. To my way of thinking, nature not only abhors a straight line, but she cannot even think of such foolishness or even will herself to live that way.

Rustic or 'tree art' as some have originally called it, first came to us from England. It is from this taste for tree art, that had it's beginnings in the eighteenth century, along with many other styles at the same time, that bent and twisted, twiggy tree art has come forth. Tree furniture and the garden ordainments that came with it first started showing up on the landscape of Europe by the 1740's and it is from this that I borrow a picture from, A New Book of Chinese Designs, published in 1754.

....'chinoiserie' as seen and expressed in the art form of garden furniture….

Please note that a lot of what I write about comes from a study in nature, as taught to me by nature herself and many of the pictures that I post will be coming also from a wonderful book on rustic furniture, "Adirondack Furniture and the Rustic Tradition" by Craig Gilborn. This is a book that I have read and re-read many times along with many others in my pursuit of rustic and the 'wood art' that comes to me out of the forest of trees.

....to be continued….

Thank you.
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
although i "see" a little differently than you, Frank, as I know that you are far more spiritually enlightened than I, I do believe that we "see" with the same Spirit, connecting to that which Mother Nature has created and longing to honour her by creating art with the gifts that she has provided.
It is the "flaws" (as some would see it) that draws us to the beauty that lies around us. I am looking forward to hearing more about your insight and am ready to learn from your words and woodart.
Thank you for being.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Rustic Is My Way of Talking"

And so one now comes to a part of rustic that means the over-coming of what has been placed within my head as words and requires that I re-learn what I once thought to be an ancient and foreign vocabulary. Much of what I call rustic as is seen in furniture and sculptured art, has come about from a evolving relationship that grew out of old barns. One might ask at this point how do barns or English Barns to be specific relate to rustic wood art?

My love for barns along with post and beam timber framing has caused me to sit for periods of time within these awesome creatures, just as Jonah I imagine sat within the belly of that great big fish. Here in the belly of old barns I have come to grips with the fact that for much of my life, I also was running from a mission that I had been given and the use of a talent that I had been given. I am one who has been many things in life and will yet be many more, however in all my pursuits I have always found myself as surrounded by wood. Self taught in many areas of woodworking, I thought I had arrived or finally settled in when I reached a satisfaction of finesse with finish carpentry and the making of boxes. A maker of boxes I was; kitchen cabinets, bookcases and all kinds of shapes and sizes of cabinets, till one day I saw that I was living my life in a box. The cabinets and boxes I made, I installed in kitchens and living rooms, bathrooms and such and all my life was being contained by the rules of these boxes I made. That was the day I left work and as I was climbing into my steel horse to drive home in, I also saw that my truck was a box….shall I say more or does one start to get a picture of where I am coming from?

How does one go from the rules of traditional finish woodworking to the no-rules and no-straight lines of rustic woodworking, well this is where post and beam barns comes in and this is the love of barns that broke me out of a habit, that gave me a new way of seeing into the art of woodworking! How does and where does a finish carpenter place their spirit level for reference on a massive hand cut 10'' x 10'' x 30' beam that has been squared by a broadax? And then just what is a broadax and where do I get one and how do I use this tool, and do you mean to tell me that folks still use these 'things'? And as I started learning, asking and exploring I found that there was a whole sub-culture out there of men and women who still carried on a tradition that I knew nothing about. I started looking at the tools and vocabulary that these used and was amazed at the what and all they created and another thing I noticed, was a way of life that gave expression to their fitting in with what each day brought and then there was their giving of thanks.

Broadax, froe, slicks, adzes, draw knives, mallets, wood spudders, broad hatchet, timber chisels, tenon makers, wood dogs and yes the list goes on…..to post and beam, timber framing, bents, purlons, gunstocks, scribe cut, king post, summer beams, bladed scarfs, girts, tree nails and again the words keep on going….

Now you must understand that these words were not new to me, so much as the idea that these were words that some folks used daily in their vocabulary and also in their hands. Since learning about timber framing I have also learned the use of chain sawing in a new way and so what once appeared as how do you do that, is now nothing to it, when it comes to cutting mortise and tenons, scarfs and the squaring up of end beams. Cutting some slab planking with nothing but a hand held chain saw at 10' - 14' long is now, nothing to it, just as I have also come to see the ease and beauty of planing a slab with a broadax and or adze.

Where at one time I used to be able to find all I needed at my local hardware store, or in the isles of miles at Home Depot and such, I now started roaming out of way places such as small sawmills and rooting around in old barns for the tools and timber I needed. Out of this experience came my being born again, just as old barns are 'barn again' and from this I fell in love with a new way of woodworking….as a worker of wood who now found himself in the forest of woods and learning from trees about 'wood art'.

I will be continuing on, as I start exploring what these words mean to me and how I now use them in my every-day living of working with wood and rustic wood art.

....to be continued….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

And so one now comes to a part of rustic that means the over-coming of what has been placed within my head as words and requires that I re-learn what I once thought to be an ancient and foreign vocabulary. Much of what I call rustic as is seen in furniture and sculptured art, has come about from a evolving relationship that grew out of old barns. One might ask at this point how do barns or English Barns to be specific relate to rustic wood art?

My love for barns along with post and beam timber framing has caused me to sit for periods of time within these awesome creatures, just as Jonah I imagine sat within the belly of that great big fish. Here in the belly of old barns I have come to grips with the fact that for much of my life, I also was running from a mission that I had been given and the use of a talent that I had been given. I am one who has been many things in life and will yet be many more, however in all my pursuits I have always found myself as surrounded by wood. Self taught in many areas of woodworking, I thought I had arrived or finally settled in when I reached a satisfaction of finesse with finish carpentry and the making of boxes. A maker of boxes I was; kitchen cabinets, bookcases and all kinds of shapes and sizes of cabinets, till one day I saw that I was living my life in a box. The cabinets and boxes I made, I installed in kitchens and living rooms, bathrooms and such and all my life was being contained by the rules of these boxes I made. That was the day I left work and as I was climbing into my steel horse to drive home in, I also saw that my truck was a box….shall I say more or does one start to get a picture of where I am coming from?

How does one go from the rules of traditional finish woodworking to the no-rules and no-straight lines of rustic woodworking, well this is where post and beam barns comes in and this is the love of barns that broke me out of a habit, that gave me a new way of seeing into the art of woodworking! How does and where does a finish carpenter place their spirit level for reference on a massive hand cut 10'' x 10'' x 30' beam that has been squared by a broadax? And then just what is a broadax and where do I get one and how do I use this tool, and do you mean to tell me that folks still use these 'things'? And as I started learning, asking and exploring I found that there was a whole sub-culture out there of men and women who still carried on a tradition that I knew nothing about. I started looking at the tools and vocabulary that these used and was amazed at the what and all they created and another thing I noticed, was a way of life that gave expression to their fitting in with what each day brought and then there was their giving of thanks.

Broadax, froe, slicks, adzes, draw knives, mallets, wood spudders, broad hatchet, timber chisels, tenon makers, wood dogs and yes the list goes on…..to post and beam, timber framing, bents, purlons, gunstocks, scribe cut, king post, summer beams, bladed scarfs, girts, tree nails and again the words keep on going….

Now you must understand that these words were not new to me, so much as the idea that these were words that some folks used daily in their vocabulary and also in their hands. Since learning about timber framing I have also learned the use of chain sawing in a new way and so what once appeared as how do you do that, is now nothing to it, when it comes to cutting mortise and tenons, scarfs and the squaring up of end beams. Cutting some slab planking with nothing but a hand held chain saw at 10' - 14' long is now, nothing to it, just as I have also come to see the ease and beauty of planing a slab with a broadax and or adze.

Where at one time I used to be able to find all I needed at my local hardware store, or in the isles of miles at Home Depot and such, I now started roaming out of way places such as small sawmills and rooting around in old barns for the tools and timber I needed. Out of this experience came my being born again, just as old barns are 'barn again' and from this I fell in love with a new way of woodworking….as a worker of wood who now found himself in the forest of woods and learning from trees about 'wood art'.

I will be continuing on, as I start exploring what these words mean to me and how I now use them in my every-day living of working with wood and rustic wood art.

....to be continued….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
as I read your words I am reminded of how our lives form, layer upon layer, each growing from the experiences of the past and the vision of the spirit. Each time we settle into what I refer to as "the comfort zone", being skilled at the life that we currently live, we eventually reach a point where this is not enough, we are no longer whole. From this point we can choose to move forward, learning, growing, stretching, risking, experiencing, or we can choose to remain in our comfort zone, which of course will no longer be comfortable as we know that there is more to life, a richer life waiting for us to discover it.

I listen to your journey from cabinets to boxes, to being in a box, to rediscovering the broad axe and so on and I consider my so-far short journey in woodworking. My passion for Rona (Canada's equivalent of Home Depot) is dwindling: 1) because we have most of the tools that we had drooled over previously, and 2) because, as stated so often here in LJ, their wood selection is limited… and now, with the role-modelling of our rustic craftsmen I can see my path winding farther into the natural , the rustic, the uncorrupted woods of the woods…

I thank you Frank for your guidance, your inspiration and for sharing your journey with us.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Why I AM Rustic"

"Why I AM Rustic"

....and so this thought just travels an un-raveling course through my mind now, as i am bent into the natural flow of all this landscape that surrounds me, as i am walking out the feelings that society has grafted into my core, yes those un-natural callings of urges that say and tell me to play the game their way and then these same ones tell me that if i hold true to their way, then in the end i shall not be forgotten but yes , "you also will inherit a prize when all is done"….

--i am the twisted bent in the crutch of your branch, just as this bark that so hangs around my neck, shall one day soon be stripped and peeled away, so why should i give a moments thought to those days that have passed me by….

--soon the walkers of many breeds will come, some to be known only by the smells they expel, those others are already gone long before they pass on by, while some few will stop and acknowledge that i am here….

--my dreams are but the fantasies of laughing idiots bent on creating a wooden stick piece, and so these are the ones who cause me to hide away from peeking braggarts, whose only job is to police the woodscape of woodlots looking for traditional employment, as they create multitudes for those in the valleys of decision having no place to go….

--i have laughed in your face you burden makers of crowd pleaser's, since having escaped the fingers of clutching control that you advertised in glossy folders of wanna be enticements, i have given up the things for which you said i should need to be like you, for i am not as you and never was i meant to be one of your slick copyrights….

--now i can once again see in these forest of woods where twisted and bent is gloriously completed as beautiful, i also remember the day when i realized that i am not the one i thought my-self to be, for it is out here with these ones such as i am that i have seen the expression of art-full being, just as i am now thank-full with these trees of rustic spirits who have welcomed me as one who has returned home….

And so the journey for rustic continues as to asking yourself, what is rustic and where is rustic to be found? Let me also add that if one is afraid to go against the tide of current prevailing wind and not question those who say that, 'rustic is hot' and 'rustic is not', then one becomes lost within the fissures of an already accepted fact. One must understand that when we give place to myth and fiction, what we are doing in essence, by the right of formation of acceptance, is establishing a belief and then that belief becomes a fact.

What do you do when presented with a statement such as: "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves."-by Thomas Edison

And so I first learned to question what all those others had labored so hard to put within me and even now I still question even my existence on a daily basis as to where do I fit into this picture before me on a whole. I was at one time a traditional woodworker who was taught to follow the rules of the elite scribes. These are those who passed on to me many rules and little jingles that I could re-play so as to keep my mind on track; "measure three times and cut once", was one and this was good till the day I became rustic. I now had to question not only the how-will, but also the where-to as I found that measuring was still good, but now I payed respect to 'character', 'knots' and 'cracks'. Measuring now becomes more of what is the value of this ones worth and I learned to not be rigid as to the rule of numbers played out on tape, as now I begin to more accurately measure with the sight of eye.

Rustic for me is the thrill of coming back from out in the woods and knowing that all of me has not returned, out there I left a part of me and having no fear I am able to give thanks that that part of me is in a good place. Coming back I am surrounded by all the art-full beings that have come along with me, some talking right from the start and some are waiting to see my silence so they can reveal who they are. This is not the way I was originally taught, as I was one who took the wood and made it be what I wanted the piece to be. So what if the piece of wood didn't want to be my way, well no problem as I'll just cut you over to my way of being. Thats what I now call 'manipulation-of-wood' into pieces of furniture and then we fit the 'manipulated-furniture' into 'manipulated-homes' and later on in years to come we wonder why our dreams all went sour!

And even so now I have learned that all that passes my way is not what I used to call for my best. That out there in the forest of woods, where I am surrounded by the trees of living wood, is the understanding that now I have not come to take to make after my image, but that the image is right there in front of me, waiting to give to all who would see, the beauty of rustic 'wood art'. Rustic 'wood art' is not what about what I can create and then call my own, since the all of rustic was there long before I ever arrived on the scene. Those bends and twists are the legs of my benches and sculptures and when they are ready in their own time they reveal themselves to me.

As I go walking in the woods, I have often taken along some friends on some of my wanderings and it never stops amazing me as to how the many just never see what is all around out in the woods. Rustic seeing is not for all and it is not until one can see rustic that one can then be rustic. Rustic is the chaos of the woods in the wholesome wholly charismatic beauty of a kaleidescope of harmony, that is being played out before your eyes and to which you have been given an invitation to participate if you can but just come and stay awhile and learn this silence of golden 'wood art'!

Thank you.
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
"Why I AM Rustic"

"Why I AM Rustic"

....and so this thought just travels an un-raveling course through my mind now, as i am bent into the natural flow of all this landscape that surrounds me, as i am walking out the feelings that society has grafted into my core, yes those un-natural callings of urges that say and tell me to play the game their way and then these same ones tell me that if i hold true to their way, then in the end i shall not be forgotten but yes , "you also will inherit a prize when all is done"….

--i am the twisted bent in the crutch of your branch, just as this bark that so hangs around my neck, shall one day soon be stripped and peeled away, so why should i give a moments thought to those days that have passed me by….

--soon the walkers of many breeds will come, some to be known only by the smells they expel, those others are already gone long before they pass on by, while some few will stop and acknowledge that i am here….

--my dreams are but the fantasies of laughing idiots bent on creating a wooden stick piece, and so these are the ones who cause me to hide away from peeking braggarts, whose only job is to police the woodscape of woodlots looking for traditional employment, as they create multitudes for those in the valleys of decision having no place to go….

--i have laughed in your face you burden makers of crowd pleaser's, since having escaped the fingers of clutching control that you advertised in glossy folders of wanna be enticements, i have given up the things for which you said i should need to be like you, for i am not as you and never was i meant to be one of your slick copyrights….

--now i can once again see in these forest of woods where twisted and bent is gloriously completed as beautiful, i also remember the day when i realized that i am not the one i thought my-self to be, for it is out here with these ones such as i am that i have seen the expression of art-full being, just as i am now thank-full with these trees of rustic spirits who have welcomed me as one who has returned home….

And so the journey for rustic continues as to asking yourself, what is rustic and where is rustic to be found? Let me also add that if one is afraid to go against the tide of current prevailing wind and not question those who say that, 'rustic is hot' and 'rustic is not', then one becomes lost within the fissures of an already accepted fact. One must understand that when we give place to myth and fiction, what we are doing in essence, by the right of formation of acceptance, is establishing a belief and then that belief becomes a fact.

What do you do when presented with a statement such as: "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves."-by Thomas Edison

And so I first learned to question what all those others had labored so hard to put within me and even now I still question even my existence on a daily basis as to where do I fit into this picture before me on a whole. I was at one time a traditional woodworker who was taught to follow the rules of the elite scribes. These are those who passed on to me many rules and little jingles that I could re-play so as to keep my mind on track; "measure three times and cut once", was one and this was good till the day I became rustic. I now had to question not only the how-will, but also the where-to as I found that measuring was still good, but now I payed respect to 'character', 'knots' and 'cracks'. Measuring now becomes more of what is the value of this ones worth and I learned to not be rigid as to the rule of numbers played out on tape, as now I begin to more accurately measure with the sight of eye.

Rustic for me is the thrill of coming back from out in the woods and knowing that all of me has not returned, out there I left a part of me and having no fear I am able to give thanks that that part of me is in a good place. Coming back I am surrounded by all the art-full beings that have come along with me, some talking right from the start and some are waiting to see my silence so they can reveal who they are. This is not the way I was originally taught, as I was one who took the wood and made it be what I wanted the piece to be. So what if the piece of wood didn't want to be my way, well no problem as I'll just cut you over to my way of being. Thats what I now call 'manipulation-of-wood' into pieces of furniture and then we fit the 'manipulated-furniture' into 'manipulated-homes' and later on in years to come we wonder why our dreams all went sour!

And even so now I have learned that all that passes my way is not what I used to call for my best. That out there in the forest of woods, where I am surrounded by the trees of living wood, is the understanding that now I have not come to take to make after my image, but that the image is right there in front of me, waiting to give to all who would see, the beauty of rustic 'wood art'. Rustic 'wood art' is not what about what I can create and then call my own, since the all of rustic was there long before I ever arrived on the scene. Those bends and twists are the legs of my benches and sculptures and when they are ready in their own time they reveal themselves to me.

As I go walking in the woods, I have often taken along some friends on some of my wanderings and it never stops amazing me as to how the many just never see what is all around out in the woods. Rustic seeing is not for all and it is not until one can see rustic that one can then be rustic. Rustic is the chaos of the woods in the wholesome wholly charismatic beauty of a kaleidescope of harmony, that is being played out before your eyes and to which you have been given an invitation to participate if you can but just come and stay awhile and learn this silence of golden 'wood art'!

Thank you.
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
Frank: I like a good walk in the woods. Our home in NJ had 14 Acres with 5A of woods and a stream. I would quite ofter go out and take a walk before I went to work. Its was great.

My home in DE is on 1 A and I have lots of trees around the house and I walk thru a mini forest on my way to the shop. But, we have woods behind us and on 1 side. So It's nice and relaxing.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
"Why I AM Rustic"

"Why I AM Rustic"

Thank you.
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
Rustic: without the fluff and fake exterior.
Yup.. I think that that describes Frank very well-just the way Mother Nature created!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
"Why I AM Rustic"

"Why I AM Rustic"

Thank you.
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
The amazing thing about wood is that as woodworkers, we often get the credit for it's naturally given beauty. I find myself somewhat humbled when when someone compliments me on one of my projects stating, "Wow, that is beautiful, look at the grain", because I really know that I had nothing to do with creating the grain. All I did was dress it up a bit and it took care of the rest.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Getting Out of a Rut and Into Rustic"

....and so i traveled the way of going the path of my heart, where many had stopped to stutter at having no art, these were the more then many who walked the walled isles of you-know-mart, having given up their life of soul for the is-stilled creature comforts of designer defined dead art….

Going rustic was an answer to the prayer of my heart, where I never need have no-more second thought to any who would come and say, why don't you do it my way!

Sometimes I have to wonder what has come over me and so often in times like this, I will step back and give my-self a very big hearty laugh. Don't take your-self so seriously and you will be able to often laugh at your-self, I am and even so, this to 'just is'.

Well getting back to laughing at myself in this thing I call 'the process' and where I am now, from where I was back then. I had to go south this past week down to MA to pick up some epoxies for some work I was doing….T-88 Structural Epoxy, great stuff. This trip used to excite me, I mean Rockler and Woodcraft, two great woodworking stores and power tools filled to heavenly stacked dreams, so what's wrong with this picture now? I hit Rockler first and then went on down to Woodcraft and stopped again at Rockler on the way home, three stops, two stores and I never even stopped to pay respect or attention to a power tool. I do remember passing a jointer and looking….but then I was past and so I gave the jointer no-more thought.

Ha! I don't even know if I'm a human woodworker any-more, I didn't even care about looking at any jigs or accessories. I did spend some time looking at some hand gouges and spoons, while also looking over their stock of Japanese hand pull saws and then spending some time going over finishes. So what did I purchase after all this time spent in woodworkers heaven? Well I needed the T-88 and then there was that one special Japanese hand pull saw and some shellac flakes to finish the day out.

Now in thinking about this, what I have come to understand is that I still have my retained 'woodworking soul'. And what I have come to learn is that woodworking is not about my tools, but how does my soul relate to the 'soul of the wood' and that when my 'woodworking soul' and the 'soul of the wood' are in oneness then I am in heaven. This is kind of like when I came to understand that heaven is not a place of 'altitude' but heaven is a place of 'attitude'.

Many years ago when I started thinking about going rustic and exploring the wherefores and theorem's with the how to. It did not take long before I soon realized that rustic was off the beaten path of where I was then living in traditional woodworking. The artist of rustic are offline to traditional woodworking in what is called the mainstream of woodworking….and so I often live off the beaten track….! And even by going rustic you still have to determine how much you will define your rustic as to being rustic. Now one can buy the jigs and cutters that make the mortise and tenons for you, or will you decide to make those by eye and hand. I can plane with machine or will I go for longer and plane by hand. In all this I have learned that many are the ways and means for being rustic and still calling the finished project rustic.

Rustic characters are off the mainline of traditional woodworking and it becomes us to know where we have come from and then to determine where we are going. The rustic woodworkers of early times were not full time woodworkers, these were the guides of land and water trails throughout the northeastern region of the greater New York upstate, in that area we now call the Adirondacks. These were the guides and caretakers of the great camps of the area and when the camps closed down for the season, these stayed behind and kept things going and did the repairs throughout the long, empty and cold winters. These men and women were rustic before the great camps came, before the fashions of people came and when all others left for home, these lived on as being rustic. Rustic for these was not an interior fashion designers word play of 'rustic is hot' for they knew that being rustic' was a way of living come what may! During the summer months these guides, caretakers and workers of the area gathered and collected those bits and parts of wood that were set aside for those long coming months of winter. Their eyes saw the bends and twists in the wood that would yet be the legs of tables, chairs and benches along with the artistic sculptured 'wood art' settings. Their hands knew the shape and feel of the wood along with how to shape and fit the wood together by using hand made nails. Carving by hand, shaping by hand and pegging by hand, these pieces of rustic 'wood art' still live on in many of the great camps of the Adirondacks even today.

Many of the doers of this rustic way of life today, still do the work of rustic furniture making by using non-motorized tools of steel and bringing in the element of hand work. Just the joy and satisfaction that one can attain to from carving with timber chisel or drawknife hand made tree nails. Then there is the steel plate where one can pound through the range of holes till one reaches the desired diameter of peg and what about the riffling effect that is gained here, so as to lock and hold that peg in place.

Well, enough said at this time as I am preparing to go out to the shop and be rustic, out in my shop I can become lost from all the traditions of woodworking that I still must play in so as to maintain a working living. I still do houses and camps, where the folks love the looks of being cosmetic rustic without the workings of rustic. And so it is in my shop where I can be found to also listening to the sounds of being rustic after the character of the wood….now that is rustic 'wood art'.

Thought I would pass this photo on as I found this one a couple of weeks ago out in one of my wood piles just gathering character of seasoning over the winter season. This wood is called bittersweet and I usually find it growing and climbing on trees, bittersweet is an invasive plant, so folks are usually quite glad to have it removed. Works good for rustic benches and also for various decorations of cosmetics on the furniture.

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

....and so i traveled the way of going the path of my heart, where many had stopped to stutter at having no art, these were the more then many who walked the walled isles of you-know-mart, having given up their life of soul for the is-stilled creature comforts of designer defined dead art….

Going rustic was an answer to the prayer of my heart, where I never need have no-more second thought to any who would come and say, why don't you do it my way!

Sometimes I have to wonder what has come over me and so often in times like this, I will step back and give my-self a very big hearty laugh. Don't take your-self so seriously and you will be able to often laugh at your-self, I am and even so, this to 'just is'.

Well getting back to laughing at myself in this thing I call 'the process' and where I am now, from where I was back then. I had to go south this past week down to MA to pick up some epoxies for some work I was doing….T-88 Structural Epoxy, great stuff. This trip used to excite me, I mean Rockler and Woodcraft, two great woodworking stores and power tools filled to heavenly stacked dreams, so what's wrong with this picture now? I hit Rockler first and then went on down to Woodcraft and stopped again at Rockler on the way home, three stops, two stores and I never even stopped to pay respect or attention to a power tool. I do remember passing a jointer and looking….but then I was past and so I gave the jointer no-more thought.

Ha! I don't even know if I'm a human woodworker any-more, I didn't even care about looking at any jigs or accessories. I did spend some time looking at some hand gouges and spoons, while also looking over their stock of Japanese hand pull saws and then spending some time going over finishes. So what did I purchase after all this time spent in woodworkers heaven? Well I needed the T-88 and then there was that one special Japanese hand pull saw and some shellac flakes to finish the day out.

Now in thinking about this, what I have come to understand is that I still have my retained 'woodworking soul'. And what I have come to learn is that woodworking is not about my tools, but how does my soul relate to the 'soul of the wood' and that when my 'woodworking soul' and the 'soul of the wood' are in oneness then I am in heaven. This is kind of like when I came to understand that heaven is not a place of 'altitude' but heaven is a place of 'attitude'.

Many years ago when I started thinking about going rustic and exploring the wherefores and theorem's with the how to. It did not take long before I soon realized that rustic was off the beaten path of where I was then living in traditional woodworking. The artist of rustic are offline to traditional woodworking in what is called the mainstream of woodworking….and so I often live off the beaten track….! And even by going rustic you still have to determine how much you will define your rustic as to being rustic. Now one can buy the jigs and cutters that make the mortise and tenons for you, or will you decide to make those by eye and hand. I can plane with machine or will I go for longer and plane by hand. In all this I have learned that many are the ways and means for being rustic and still calling the finished project rustic.

Rustic characters are off the mainline of traditional woodworking and it becomes us to know where we have come from and then to determine where we are going. The rustic woodworkers of early times were not full time woodworkers, these were the guides of land and water trails throughout the northeastern region of the greater New York upstate, in that area we now call the Adirondacks. These were the guides and caretakers of the great camps of the area and when the camps closed down for the season, these stayed behind and kept things going and did the repairs throughout the long, empty and cold winters. These men and women were rustic before the great camps came, before the fashions of people came and when all others left for home, these lived on as being rustic. Rustic for these was not an interior fashion designers word play of 'rustic is hot' for they knew that being rustic' was a way of living come what may! During the summer months these guides, caretakers and workers of the area gathered and collected those bits and parts of wood that were set aside for those long coming months of winter. Their eyes saw the bends and twists in the wood that would yet be the legs of tables, chairs and benches along with the artistic sculptured 'wood art' settings. Their hands knew the shape and feel of the wood along with how to shape and fit the wood together by using hand made nails. Carving by hand, shaping by hand and pegging by hand, these pieces of rustic 'wood art' still live on in many of the great camps of the Adirondacks even today.

Many of the doers of this rustic way of life today, still do the work of rustic furniture making by using non-motorized tools of steel and bringing in the element of hand work. Just the joy and satisfaction that one can attain to from carving with timber chisel or drawknife hand made tree nails. Then there is the steel plate where one can pound through the range of holes till one reaches the desired diameter of peg and what about the riffling effect that is gained here, so as to lock and hold that peg in place.

Well, enough said at this time as I am preparing to go out to the shop and be rustic, out in my shop I can become lost from all the traditions of woodworking that I still must play in so as to maintain a working living. I still do houses and camps, where the folks love the looks of being cosmetic rustic without the workings of rustic. And so it is in my shop where I can be found to also listening to the sounds of being rustic after the character of the wood….now that is rustic 'wood art'.

Thought I would pass this photo on as I found this one a couple of weeks ago out in one of my wood piles just gathering character of seasoning over the winter season. This wood is called bittersweet and I usually find it growing and climbing on trees, bittersweet is an invasive plant, so folks are usually quite glad to have it removed. Works good for rustic benches and also for various decorations of cosmetics on the furniture.

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
Thanks Frank. Most of my work is machine driven…but i still love to pick up a hand plane or to grab my chisles. I've got my draw knife hung by my bench and love the feel of it beind drawn across an old pine log!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
Frank - Thanks! I always enjoy your writing. What are you going to make with that piece of bittersweet? I am curious what it is telling you.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
and you excite me as I ponder where my journey will take me (because I am pretty sure that it will leave the power tools behind)... but first I have to find "it", whatever that is for me.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Rustic Aspiration's"

"Rustic Aspiration's"

....and so while this story of being rustic, is a much needed daily dose of neptune's drink of passion fruit, as swilled out to master the unruly misfits, i am so much the more in-grained into this nature of what i call the beastly character of heavenly 'wood art'....

--and where will this drink of the gods take me, is but the relaxation of knowing that this is not the first time i have come this way, to play at dreaming of what shall yet be….

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?" -by George Bernard Shaw

....one's aspirations can be, the looking from another point of art-full view….

Have a very good day!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
"Rustic Aspiration's"

"Rustic Aspiration's"

....and so while this story of being rustic, is a much needed daily dose of neptune's drink of passion fruit, as swilled out to master the unruly misfits, i am so much the more in-grained into this nature of what i call the beastly character of heavenly 'wood art'....

--and where will this drink of the gods take me, is but the relaxation of knowing that this is not the first time i have come this way, to play at dreaming of what shall yet be….

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?" -by George Bernard Shaw

Have a very good day!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
ah ha… Nature's own picture frame! Why not?? !!

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
"Rustic Aspiration's"

"Rustic Aspiration's"

Have a very good day!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
I see spring!

·
Registered
316 Posts
"Rustic Aspiration's"

"Rustic Aspiration's"

Have a very good day!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
Nature puts everything into simplistic yet complex perspective.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
"Rustic Aspiration's"

"Rustic Aspiration's"

Have a very good day!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Rustic Aspiration's"

"Rustic Aspiration's"

Have a very good day!!!
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]
www.frank.wordpress.com
--thanks everyone for your comments;
Ha! I not only see spring, I hear the sounds of spring, now I'm waiting to hear the sound of the 'peepers' from a pond across the way. All-ready spring is in my walk and I'm having a hard time working….but I must work and so I keep my shoe-leather connected to earth-leather.

GODSPEED,
Frank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.