LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My antic plans for the weekend........

I am into "shop antics" this weekend, or at least I think thats what Mike Stefang from Norway would call it. One of Mike's comments gave me that part of the title for this series.

I decided I was not going to use my TS (nearly 20 year old Delta contractor's saw) any more until I fixed the on-off switch and position. You can't find it half the time, and to look, puts your face in front of the blade. Bad deal. So I have pretty well designed my new switch…......you really didn't think I would buy one, DID YOU…......

Had to make the cord from the switch to the power source longer in any case, and it needed a new plug. Put in a 12 gauge cord since I doubled the length of the old 14 gauge cord. I will have increase the segment from the switch to the motor a little bit tomorrow. Sometime in November, hope to rewire it for 220.

Anytime we mention wiring, safety has to be addressed. For those of you not conversant with wiring, consult an electrician, or a knowledgeable friend for help. There are a lot of ways to screw up, destroy your equipment, burn down your house, or endanger your loved ones. As I have noted before, I have been doing this for many decades, and have the background to understand what I am doing. And I always follow the code.
So please be careful.

But aside from putting in longer cords, my switch is only going to involve mechanics, no electricity…...so read on….......

So back to the switch. I looked at a lot of switches from retailers, and also mods from other users. I don't like hunting for the on switch, let alone the off switch. I wanted a switch I could hit with my thigh or hand without hardly looking, and turn on without searching. Nothing out there seemed right. I needed a push-pull action. That's a toggle effect. And this saw came with a toggle switch. So, why not figure out a way to use the original switch? You know, it might be a CHEAP solution…....

So I think I have it designed. In Sketchup no less…..needs a little work on the visuals.

So I am going to try it. Use the old switch. Throw down the gauntlet. Basically free.

I am going to make a first class switch for my Delta Contractor's Saw out of scrap…...........

Boy am I going to be red-faced if this fails…..................it will then become another one of my workshop antics…......(-:

More tomorrow…................................................

·
Registered
17,103 Posts

I am into "shop antics" this weekend, or at least I think thats what Mike Stefang from Norway would call it. One of Mike's comments gave me that part of the title for this series.

I decided I was not going to use my TS (nearly 20 year old Delta contractor's saw) any more until I fixed the on-off switch and position. You can't find it half the time, and to look, puts your face in front of the blade. Bad deal. So I have pretty well designed my new switch…......you really didn't think I would buy one, DID YOU…......

Had to make the cord from the switch to the power source longer in any case, and it needed a new plug. Put in a 12 gauge cord since I doubled the length of the old 14 gauge cord. I will have increase the segment from the switch to the motor a little bit tomorrow. Sometime in November, hope to rewire it for 220.

Anytime we mention wiring, safety has to be addressed. For those of you not conversant with wiring, consult an electrician, or a knowledgeable friend for help. There are a lot of ways to screw up, destroy your equipment, burn down your house, or endanger your loved ones. As I have noted before, I have been doing this for many decades, and have the background to understand what I am doing. And I always follow the code.
So please be careful.

But aside from putting in longer cords, my switch is only going to involve mechanics, no electricity…...so read on….......

So back to the switch. I looked at a lot of switches from retailers, and also mods from other users. I don't like hunting for the on switch, let alone the off switch. I wanted a switch I could hit with my thigh or hand without hardly looking, and turn on without searching. Nothing out there seemed right. I needed a push-pull action. That's a toggle effect. And this saw came with a toggle switch. So, why not figure out a way to use the original switch? You know, it might be a CHEAP solution…....

So I think I have it designed. In Sketchup no less…..needs a little work on the visuals.

So I am going to try it. Use the old switch. Throw down the gauntlet. Basically free.

I am going to make a first class switch for my Delta Contractor's Saw out of scrap…...........

Boy am I going to be red-faced if this fails…..................it will then become another one of my workshop antics…......(-:

I don't need anything like this myself, but it will be fun seeing how you do it. Good luck on your quest (or antic?).

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

So please be careful.

Do you want close ups of how I attached the left side switch on my BT? My switch has been moved to the far left side of the rails by the sliding miter table. I LOVE where that is, VERY easy for me to get to..

I know the exact idea won't work for non T slotted rails, but at least you can see what I used for brackets and boxes…

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So please be careful.

David,

More info the better. Have made the attachment to the Vega rails, but still have to do the switch tomorrow. Send it on…..................did you notice the double we had on drfixit…....I referred him to your website re the separator as you were saying the same thing….......HALLOWEEN…...for sure…..........

Yes, I want close ups….......

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running late, but the switch mechanics look good......I hope

Lots of thing goin' on Saturday…....exercise, lunch with my true love, errands….....

Well I lengthened the cord from the motor to the switch, got the mount figured out to the Vega Fence…....even made it adjustable. Had to revamp some materials usage, some of the aluminum tubing I had was bent. Switched to dowels, thats OK, use aluminum bearings. Please understand, I am making this from scrap and the junk box….....that's one of the premises….make a first class switch mechanism with no purchases. Doing OK, just a little slow. So tomorrow….hopefully will be able to produce some pictures….....I know that is important to LJ's…...words are a little tough…..especially my words…....so pictures…........

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Lots of thing goin' on Saturday…....exercise, lunch with my true love, errands….....

Well I lengthened the cord from the motor to the switch, got the mount figured out to the Vega Fence…....even made it adjustable. Had to revamp some materials usage, some of the aluminum tubing I had was bent. Switched to dowels, thats OK, use aluminum bearings. Please understand, I am making this from scrap and the junk box….....that's one of the premises….make a first class switch mechanism with no purchases. Doing OK, just a little slow. So tomorrow….hopefully will be able to produce some pictures….....I know that is important to LJ's…...words are a little tough…..especially my words…....so pictures…........
Photos are good

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

You know, I am not sure if I should be impressed, or frightened that you are making a switch… But I am gonna watch the progress of this one…

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nearly done with the table saw switch..........

I am nearly done with building my table saw switch mechanism using the original toggle switch. CHEAP, fun, and interesting. My rules are…. no new purchases allowed. Scrap box and odds-and-ends. Not done enough for pictures, lost a lot of time today for a variety of reasons, but did get some of the Sketchup stuff done, and got the mechanism to the point that a couple of hours will have it on the saw. The concept has been established in wood and a tiny bit of metal and works well. Mind you, this is just mechanics, not electricity. I am using the original toggle switch for the electrical part.

I will be posting Sketchup plans, photos etc.

So why do I do this silly stuff? Got it from my Dad. Great excuse. Bet a bunch of you out there have used that one….............

For instance:

My dad bought a new wringer washing machine, so he retrieved the motor from the old wringer washer. That was a long time ago, while I was in grade school. He used the motor to power a grinder, belt driven, for knives, axes, etc. Then he made it into an electric lawn mower with a wooden chassis that he built with hand tools, painted that chassis green. I used that to mow the lawn for about 5 years while growing up. Finally he bought a gas mower, so he made the lawn mower into a scrubbing machine for the floors at the department store he worked in. He found a better method for floor scrubbing, namely he and I using a sprayed on strong soap solution and mops, very effiecient, and I made some money. So the motor became a grinder again, that my brother used for about 20 or more years. That motor should be gold plated and immortalized…............... I think it had a 40 to 50 year life time of usefulness.

Nothing like old motors…......

So my toggle switch is soon to be encapsulated in wood, some aluminum tubing bearings for the dowel that moves the toggle (with a washer as a bearing surface), attached to my saw with some angle iron, oak, and plywood…...all, and I mean all, is from left overs and scrap…....CHEAP…...................................as long as you don't count my time, most of it spent in design…......

.......well, just one picture…...... Aren't pictures wonderful? Yeh, I like them too….......you can understand most anything you want to from pictures…....and a lot of things you don't want to understand too…......

This is the original toggle switch handle, now controlled by a dowel with a washer bearing. It is screwed with tiny screws to the dowel. There is a shallow hole in the dowel. The washer is inset into the dowel with a shallow depression created by a Forstner bit. Note the aluminum bearings. Still have some work to do with them. Actually, that is most of the work left. The mount to the saw is finished.

........tomorrow…..............and more pics!

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

I am nearly done with building my table saw switch mechanism using the original toggle switch. CHEAP, fun, and interesting. My rules are…. no new purchases allowed. Scrap box and odds-and-ends. Not done enough for pictures, lost a lot of time today for a variety of reasons, but did get some of the Sketchup stuff done, and got the mechanism to the point that a couple of hours will have it on the saw. The concept has been established in wood and a tiny bit of metal and works well. Mind you, this is just mechanics, not electricity. I am using the original toggle switch for the electrical part.

So why do I do this silly stuff? Got it from my Dad. Great excuse. Bet a bunch of you out there have used that one….............

For instance:

My dad bought a new wringer washing machine, so he retrieved the motor from the old wringer washer. That was a long time ago, while I was in grade school. He used the motor to power a grinder, belt driven, for knives, axes, etc. Then he made it into an electric lawn mower with a wooden chassis that he built with hand tools, painted that chassis green. I used that to mow the lawn for about 5 years while growing up. Finally he bought a gas mower, so he made the lawn mower into a scrubbing machine for the floors at the department store he worked in. He found a better method for floor scrubbing, namely he and I using a sprayed on strong soap solution and mops, very effiecient, and I made some money. So the motor became a grinder again, that my brother used for about 20 or more years. That motor should be gold plated and immortalized…............... I think it had a 40 to 50 year life time of usefulness.

So my toggle switch is soon to be encapsulated in wood, some aluminum tubing bearings for the dowel that moves the toggle (with a washer as a bearing surface), attached to my saw with some angle iron, oak, and plywood…...all, and I mean all, is from left overs and scrap…....CHEAP…...................................as long as you don't count my time, most of it spent in design…......

.......well, just one picture…...... Aren't pictures wonderful? Yeh, I like them too….......you can understand most anything you want to from pictures…....and a lot of things you don't want to understand too…......

This is the original toggle switch handle, now controlled by a dowel with a washer bearing. It is screwed with tiny screws to the dowel. There is a shallow hole in the dowel. The washer is inset into the dowel with a shallow depression created by a Forstner bit. Note the aluminum bearings. Still have some work to do with them. Actually, that is most of the work left. The mount to the saw is finished.

interesting

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

For instance:

a1Jim:

You are the fastest out of the starting gates, I can always depend on you for a comment, and it is appreciated. Have a good evening. I think this thing is going to work well. Don't know if anyone else will want to do it, but I will post the plans….....

·
Registered
17,103 Posts

For instance:

You are such a tease with that one picture Jim!

I really enjoyed the story about the wringer washer motor. When I grew up my father, a businessman, bless him, didn't have a clue about any kind of craft at all. On the other hand the folks on my mother's side of the family were very handy indeed, several of them being high precision machinists and darned good woodworkers when that was called for too. I more or less followed my father's trajectory, but did do quite a bit of DIY after being married. I didn't forget my craftsmen genes though, so I took up woodworking after retirement and I am having fun, but it doesn't come easy for me. It's a wonderful thing when children's parents are handy and can show them that they can make a lot of stuff and solve problems on their own. This carrys over into just about everything they will do in life, so it's a wonderful gift for parents to pass along. It seems you got that from your father.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

For instance:

Mike:
I have to admit that I will probably enjoy tinkering around with the shop toys as much as making "projects" in this hobby. My grandfather on my father's side made money in the depression remodeling houses while living in them and reselling them. He owned a small saw mill, and a small coal mine over the years. Never wealthy, but died with money in his pocket at age 87.

Making wood working my main hobby has a lot of advantages…...it expands my opportunities for tinkering, allows me to continue doing computer stuff with a new focus, and increases the legitimacy of my hold on the back half of the garage…..although my wife is slowly clearing out the triangular shaped storage area behind it, and laying claim to it. Close call there…............

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little progress on the table saw switch

Work has been interfering with my life again….rats. Got enuf time in the shop today to finish the bearings on the switch. They provide the sliding surface for the dowel that flips the switch.

The bearings, and stops now eliminate unwanted rotation, over depression, or over extension of the switch. Meaning, it you can't push it in too far, pull it out too far or somehow turn it…....all to avoid stressing the toggle switch. So just a little bit of plywood, the actual face that you actuate ( a 6" by 4" face ) which has to be actuated by hand or thigh, and then I am done. Really close.

Tomorrow is a lost day, work will consume it…....so to Friday…........

Darn, isn't work to blame for all the opportunities missed, people not met, projects not finished, life not fulfilled…......

But it supports the hobby…...........

·
Registered
17,103 Posts

Work has been interfering with my life again….rats. Got enuf time in the shop today to finish the bearings on the switch. They provide the sliding surface for the dowel that flips the switch.

The bearings, and stops now eliminate unwanted rotation, over depression, or over extension of the switch. Meaning, it you can't push it in too far, pull it out too far or somehow turn it…....all to avoid stressing the toggle switch. So just a little bit of plywood, the actual face that you actuate ( a 6" by 4" face ) which has to be actuated by hand or thigh, and then I am done. Really close.

Darn, isn't work to blame for all the opportunities missed, people not met, projects not finished, life not fulfilled…......

I will be interesting to see the results. My electrical dreams include a foot switch for my scrollsaw. I haven't really looked for one yet, but if I can remember it I will now.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

And I couldn't agree more in the way work seems to keep getting in the way !

·
Registered
4,871 Posts

Sounds like quality time, well spent (the table saw-not the job!).

After playing with the router table, a bit, I quickly figured out why remote switches are good things for those, too.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

Darn that need to pay the bills!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Work:
My choices re work are to quit generating bills, then I wouldn't have to work. Somehow, that just doesn't sound like a good option. Or I could quit generating work, then I wouldn't have any bills to pay, cause I couldn't buy anything. Isn't that double think?

I think it is all about bills, not work…....................

Mike:
I used to use a foot switch for my push-to-talk on ham radio, but I haven't seen them around in years. Sounds like an internet search to me.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts

I used to use a foot switch for my push-to-talk on ham radio, but I haven't seen them around in years. Sounds like an internet search to me.

Pretty easy.

ANY "momentary contact" switch (of high enough amperage capacity) will work. Think … car horn button (aftermarket, from auto parts stores), then screw it into a ramped wedge of a box.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Actually, built a foot switch out of wood for a keyboard sustain pedal just like you describe Neal, I forgot about that. Still have it.

1 - 20 of 638 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.