LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Recently I needed to cut some wenge veneer to inlay into a Demilune table. The table is part of a private veneer course I'm teaching, and will be included in either an e-book, or a printed book. The fellow is writting it as I'm teaching, taking pictures as we go. One of the projects in the book has an wenge inlay.

If you've ever worked with wenge, you know it's a bit of a nasty wood to work with. Cutting it with a knife is difficult, as the wood tends to split. Since I'm doing a 1/4" wide inlay on a half round, and my usual tools weren't working out too well I had to come up with a different way.

I got to thinking a router would be a good way to go. I decided to make use of a Dremel set I got a few years back, since it was small and easily managed. It did have an edge quide, which doubled as a circle cutter but it was a bit cumbersome to use.

I decided to make an adapter to fit the base of the router, using a piece of 1" thick lexan. I threaded it to accept a Veritas compass beam.

Wood Rectangle Font Beige Plywood

The compass beam is very nice, and will making circles as small as 1", and as large as 40", with the pieces that come with it. It has small sections of rod that screw together allowing different lengths.

Tool Wood Gas Rectangle Metal

Using a jig and laminate trimmer, I routed a ledge to sit on the router base, giving it a bit more stability.

Wood Automotive tire Floor Flooring Gas

Then I drilled and tapped the edge for the compass beam.

Wood Milling Drilling Gas Machine

I then mounted it to an existing hole on the base of the router. The lexan fits tightly against a piece in the casting, so it doesn't pivot. I'm happy to say it was worth the effort, as it worked quite well.

Wood Gas Plumbing fixture Metal Mechanical fan

Sports equipment Gas Tool Personal protective equipment Recreation

Wood Table Measuring instrument Wood stain Flooring

Table Furniture Wood Tree Tints and shades

Table Wood Folk instrument Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Desk Table Door Floor

The woods are Figured Black Limba, Swiss Pear, and Wenge

Thanks for looking.

Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Recently I needed to cut some wenge veneer to inlay into a Demilune table. The table is part of a private veneer course I'm teaching, and will be included in either an e-book, or a printed book. The fellow is writting it as I'm teaching, taking pictures as we go. One of the projects in the book has an wenge inlay.

If you've ever worked with wenge, you know it's a bit of a nasty wood to work with. Cutting it with a knife is difficult, as the wood tends to split. Since I'm doing a 1/4" wide inlay on a half round, and my usual tools weren't working out too well I had to come up with a different way.

I got to thinking a router would be a good way to go. I decided to make use of a Dremel set I got a few years back, since it was small and easily managed. It did have an edge quide, which doubled as a circle cutter but it was a bit cumbersome to use.

I decided to make an adapter to fit the base of the router, using a piece of 1" thick lexan. I threaded it to accept a Veritas compass beam.

The compass beam is very nice, and will making circles as small as 1", and as large as 40", with the pieces that come with it. It has small sections of rod that screw together allowing different lengths.

Using a jig and laminate trimmer, I routed a ledge to sit on the router base, giving it a bit more stability.

I then mounted it to an existing hole on the base of the router. The lexan fits tightly against a piece in the casting, so it doesn't pivot. I'm happy to say it was worth the effort, as it worked quite well.

Thanks for looking.

Lee
saweeeeeeeeeet looking table.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Thanks for the tutorial, Lee. That's a nice adapter for the router. I guess most of what I know about veneering, I learned from you. Beautiful table. Thanks for the post.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
very nice. the colors work very well together.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Nice work Lee.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Absolutely beautiful work, Lee. Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
You know I love your work Lee, this is no exception, how are you, I need to call and say hi. It's been awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Lee Beautiful and a great jig tip.

You da man!!

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
26,886 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Lee, there is nothing like a great jig that works well. An excellent result on the table buddy.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
oh come on lee, couldnt ya just slap this table together…ha..great job and a great way to figure out your inlay…its a beautiful table…

Attachments

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Great idea, Lee, and stunning work as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Thanks for the information about the technique, the adapter, and the compass beam. All very useful. The table is pretty great too. Nice job!

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
10,319 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
More than one way to skin a cat, huh?

Great looking table. Swiss pear is a great wood to work with, isn't it? I wish I could afford it to use it all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Great looking table. Very nice work.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
excellent work as always lee

and a great trammel
and adaption for it

Attachments

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
As everyone said, it is certainly a beautiful table. Thanks so much for the tutorial on how you accomplished it. It is absolutely gorgeous! Your work is always top notch!

Sheila

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Great work and an imaginative and effective set up. I have worked a bit with wenge ans swore never again - maybe I will rethink that.

Great post

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Hi all;

Thank you for the kind comments.

Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Hey Lee,
Fantastic. Not only great inlay, but a fine table to boot.
Someday…. someday.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Routing inlays

Hi all;

Thanks for looking.

Lee
Nice choice of woods Lee. What more can be said, you do beautiful work. Let us know when that book becomes available.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.