LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I user the Porter-Cable 3-1/4HP and it does a fine job, even swinging 3-1/2" raised panel bits. I bought just the motor because I have Rockler's version of the Jessem Mast-R-Lift. before I had this one I used the Porter-Cable 3-1/4HP Plunger Router and that one worked fine too, so now I have the Porter-Cable 3-1/4HP Plunger Router for general use. But I don't find that I need that much power in a hand held a lot, the 1-1/2 & 1-3/4HP cover most of what I need to do.

·
Registered
122 Posts
3HP variable speed, reversible Woodtek shaper with sliding table for $400.00, used. Came with all the spindles and 1/2" router collet. The sliding table sure is nice when doing the short end grain coping cuts on raised panels. Compare that to a router, router table and lift combined costs. You'll find the space

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
I would tend to agree with End Grain. I do not think a shaper takes more room than my Jessem router table. I have a pair of PC 890s. One in the table and one for hand use.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a 890 mounted in the vertical router table, I like the way I can adjust it from the top of the table without buying an expensive lift. A 19 buck wrench unlocks and then raises and lowers through 2 holes in the table insert.

·
In Loving Memory
10,319 Posts

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
My 5625 has been a workhorse, and has above table height adjust.

The Freud FT3000 has above table height adjust, above table height lock, and makes for easy one handed above table bit changes.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
For my router table I use the Freud 3 1/4 HP and it does a great job and since it has the means to crank it up and down I don't need a lift for it. It has enough power that it scares me somethings…

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fine Woodworking did a review on just what you are looking for and the clear winner was the Triton for a table mounted router. I have one but not their biggest one. It is great for mounting in a table and it is also pretty good for freehand work as well. If you are a fine woodworking subscriber, get on their website and look up this link for their review. http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011189054.pdf

Or if you don't subscribe to the website services look up FFW #189.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went excellent sold a lot of stuff because i made sure to have a large amont of low budget stuff but also had some more expensive bowls as well which sold too, even sold some pasta measures :) i think i sold a great deal more than the rest at the show and part of that comes down to lumberjocks because of the vast knowlage base here i was well prepared.. my cuff links were the biggest seller

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Freud and you won't have to have a lift its all done by the router from on top and at 3 +/- hp it will handle just about anything you want it to. I'll bet that all of these fine Porter Cable's are from before B&D got a hold of PC

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
freund looks pretty great and lots of nice features looking for irish or uk suppliers at the moment,
this is why LJ is so good yesterday i didnt know what i wanted today i am informed and prety decided
cheers all :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
+1 on the triton
This is the best (imo) table mount router. Easy to adjust from above and below the table. Non-stick collet that automatically locks when adjusted all the way up (all the way down when not table mounted). Variable speed.
Well thought out tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.