LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Whenever I see a video of someone at a router table, they seem to always be standing to the in feed side of the table. I always stand in front of the table. Do they do this because it makes for better filming, it's safer, better control, ...? Just wondering if this iis something that I should be doing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Greetings Chunk:..... I really think it could be all of the above that you mentioned. Some people feel more secure standing to the left…..kind of like standing at a table saw. But for me…I think when I'm running a piece past the router bit, I have a little more"uuummmph" in my arm and hands to have better control. But I also stand in front and push it through…. just depends on what I'm running at the time. So… it's really up to you as to how you want to do it, and whatever makes you feel better and safer…keep on keeping on….. later

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
its easier to control the movement of the board being worked on standing in the infeed area to the left of the fence, much like the optimum position for table saw operation, in that position you can easily push the board FORWARD through the cut, while still maintaining good pressure against the fence to keep the cut straight.

if you stand completely infront of the router table you have to apply quite a bit of lateral force to move the boards through the cut, this in addition to try and keeping the board pressed against the fence have a better chance of slipping the cuts then standing at the 45 angle position to the fence (infeed side).

it's just a little bit more controlled spot to be at.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Actually I stand to the right of the table if your looking straight at it from the front, and push to the left.
I just said everything everybody else just said….....did I just say that…..... lol

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
It depends on the type of fence system you have. With the old "Norm Abram" style router table, you generally stand in front of the table. On a router table like mine with an Incra positioner fence you stand to the side of the fence and feed stock through like you would on a table saw. It really makes no difference… whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
What Charlie said.

Blake - can you expand on the concept of the different fences dictating different operator location? I don't see the relevance of what moves the fence forward/backward (be in Incra positioner, or screws, or manual) to a standing position which really should be dictated by the forces that you apply on the board (forward and into the fence). am I missing something?

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
My set up dictates that I stand on the infeed side. The router table is mounted to the right side of the table saw. The TS fence is also to the right side of the blade. I use the TS fence as a router fence. In use, the fence is slid to the far end of the saw/router table, past the router plate. It's a jointech fence. can only use the one side.
It has posed no problems for me in routing or feeling safe. Now, I guess I'm set up for filming. hehe.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My router table is Norm's Design, well actually he borrowed it from, shut I forget now, but I digress, so I always stand in front.

I'm not sure how you would keep pressure on the outfeed side of the fence standing all the way to the right hand side of table. I guess that's why I've always stood to the front. That way I can keep good pressure on the outfeed side of the fence. Otherwise, you'd be reaching over the bit to get to the outfeed side of the fence.

It looks like it's not a safety issue at least! I was concerned that I had missed some fine / obscure point to using the router table and was putting myself in risk.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i dont see what the big deal is, just stand at the corner and have the best of both worlds! lol!

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
"I'm not sure how you would keep pressure on the outfeed side of the fence standing all the way to the right hand side of table. "

Feather boards.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Yea…... that'll work too, but it helps to have arms like a gorilla reaching for a bananna…......lol
If you can reach from one end to the other on the router….. you got it made…....I'm with Jei'son:.....
I don't see what the big deal here is either….....do it the way you want, but…. it makes for good discussion.
And I figured out a long time ago…....... Lj's like to cuss and discuss…........ lol.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Chunck, if the issue is applying pressure on on the outfeed side, we can use outfeed featherboard (the opposite direction of the infeed featherboard position).
IMHO, it's more awkward/uncomfortable to apply pressure on the outfeed side (for the very long workpiece fo example) using our left hand all the way leaving the task of controlling & feeding the workpiece to our rignt hand.

·
Registered
353 Posts
stand to the infeed side for better control and heaven forbit if you slip and your workpiece gets bucked guess whats going in next if you stand directly in front of the bit, your body weight and force applied will have your hands thrusting forward into the bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.