LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a small garage/shop with limited space. I want to add a router table and would rather go with a regular router table than a bench top. Up here in Alaska we have snow (8 months) and I drive my work van in at night which also drags in snow and that creates moisture in my garage/shop. I'm afraid the moisture may warp or swell my router table top. Due to the moisture I think I will go with a metal fence instead of a wood one due to possible warping. Does anyone else have to deal with this?? Also wood projects in a wet shop - how do you deal with that?? I do have a furnace room I can store lumber in - very dry, maybe too dry.
Or should I bag the idea. Just getting into woodworking.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
I don't know anything about snow, but here in south Louisiana the humidity hovers in the 70-90% range for much of the year, and my shop is in an un-air conditioned garage. I can't say that I have to take any special precautions due to dampness, or that I have any warpage problems.

·
Registered
409 Posts
as long as you use a good quality ply wood i would have to say your in the clear as far as warping goes mdf would also be a good choice. i point out the mdf simply because lost of states use it to make road signs with and it holds up.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I would suggest using 2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued and screwed together, and laminate the top and bottom of the MDF to keep out any moisture. I"d build the case,or carcuss, out of 3/4" BB plywood, put 2-3 coats of your favorite finish on it(I always put 2-3 coats od Tung Oil on mine), and install 2- 21/2" locking casters to keep it off the wet floor. I think if you do this the moisture won't bother you. If you get more than 2" of snow in the garage, you'll need taller casters !!! lol lol. Works for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.