LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would like a router table to go with my router lift. While I don't want a large router table, I was wondering if it would be ok to get a bench top unit until such time I outgrow it. Somewhere I read that lifts were not recommended for small router tables, but I can't imagine why.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MJ

· Registered
97 Posts
My first question would be clearance: is there enough space under the benchtop router table to accomodate both the lift and the router?

Second question is sturdiness: the lift sits in a large hole in the tabletop. Hole is the same size as the lift's faceplate. If the tabletop isn't very big, that hole can compromise the table's integrity. Maybe it won't cause the table to break, but it's a deal-breaker if the tabletop flexes.

Third question is compatability: If the benchtop table isn't designed to hold your lift, you'll need to cut and route out a hole that will fit it. Which implies the benchtop table is some material that you're comfortable working.

My solution was to buy a full-size router table top - just the top - and a lift that goes with the top and my router. When I need them, I mount the table/lift/router on a pair of sawhorses. There's a certain amount of hassle in setup/breakdown, but it all stores out of the way when I'm doing something else in my small shop.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
A lift isn't necessary for a benchtop since everything is right there. The big advantage is when you have your router in an enclosure and getting the the OEM knob can be problematic. For a small to medium router (1-2hp) a benchtop table is all you need (tip: don't get one of those alum tops with ridges and words and such embossed in. They're chip catchers that'll always hang at the wrong moment.) For a big 3+ hp router a lift can be handy. I can just pop my router and plate out so I don't really need a lift since I use a DRO to set the cutter height anyway.

I've seen a bare bones router "table" made from a 'mica sink cut out on a stack of tires with a 1×3 and a couple of C-clamps as a fence! So count your blessings. LOL!

· Registered
5,189 Posts
I don't see that working. Lifts are designed for larger, stouter tables.

If you're routing anything longer than 36" its better to have a table.

Mine is 27" deep x 36" wide.

· Registered
120 Posts
If you already have the lift, seems like it shouldn't be an issue.

I think the point would be it doesn't necessarily make sense to buy a lift if you're looking at a smaller table. At that point, the "nice to have" feature is above-the-table height adjustment, and you can get that without a lift as there are routers that provide it in their table mount bases (Triton, Bosch).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.