LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any ideas where to find a 1-1/2" brass ring nut to fit these guides?
[PC guides are smaller]
OakPark is out of stock and don't have a single one.
http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=BG--

OR open for suggestion what might fit - bike part - etc.
Of course if somebody has an extra will purchase (0;

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I believe I have that set (it's quite handy having the larger sizes at times). Anyway, the threaded portion measures 1 1/2", but the flange is 1 3/4". I bought mine at Lee Valley (they call them 1 3/4" bushings) and they sell the lock ring.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Be aware, the HF bushings have longer barrels on the larger ones….I find that inconvenient. If they were all cut to just under 1/4" you could use them with 1/4" template material. Doesn't mean they aren't a great buy…..just that they aren't (IMHO) as handy as some other brands that have the shorter barrels.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been to the router section at HF several times, not much there as far as accessories - can hardly find a router bit!!
Although never looked for a guide set.

Longer barrels? Better than short - just sand them down somehow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
btw - needed a recipe needed to cut the bases; i.e. so the guide is centered.
There may be a centering tool, but this worked fine:

Cut square plexi - use base that came with router as template to transfer and mark screw holes
Drill holes, start of with very small bit(s) unless you have plexi drill bits (which are expensive)
Bolt up new base to router - do not cut center hole
Use 1/4" straight router bit and plunge through new plexi base
Used general wing cutter to enlarge center hole to 1-1/2" (need slightly smaller hole than 1.5'')
Used 1/8" lip router cutter to get up to the 1-3/4" guide size - minor sanding is needed for tight fit.
*Last step is insert guide, drill hole in scrap wood and cut outside circle on band saw, using the guide as the pivot.

added - finding the right screws for new bases is not easy!! Luckily there's a mom-pop hardware store here with a huge selection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.