LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
goochs, I don't think you will find a router bit that would cut that in one pass. I would guess that it could be done with several bits, but even then it would have to be done in at least two passes (run one side, turn it and run the other side). Someone else may know of another way. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Table saw blade at an angle may work but you will have to play with the cutting angle and your fence settings. Use a thicker piece of stock and use a jointer down tto final thickness of profile on the back side.

Cut 1
Cosmetics Wood Rectangle Office supplies Flooring

Cut2
Rectangle Wood Eyewear Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Do all the rounding of edges after the fact and be careful to use push sticks.
Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
this shape is what I am trying to cut, I want to create this profile

Not going to happen using a router.. you would need at the very least a moulder to make the rounded middle section since that shape is impossible to do with a router as far as I know. The router could be used to do the round overs on the sides, and the table saw is a good idea for the internal grooves.

The best you could get with a router would be using something like this:

But that would leave flats on either side. Even with the moulder, it would need the end points ground to a fine point to prevent the flats, which isn't ideal.. although, you could get some custom ground knives that are similar to a multiple beading knife, with the middle one large surrounded by two smaller ones on either side. Then you would just need to cut the slot under the two side beads.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will not be able to get what you want with a router bit, at least not in one pass. Remember, with a router bit you have to consider that the 2D shape you see will be spinning 360 degrees. In the case of the profiles in post #2 that would leave a flat bottom, not the shape you desire. You will have to make a minimum of 2 passes with a table saw or possible using a slotting router bit at an angle. Then come back and round over the bottom profile as needed.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Gesture Font Triangle Symbol Logo

sorry here they are

- goochs
There is no way a router bit can cut the profile on the bottom.
As the bit spins - that inner 'corner' gets cut away by the round tip.

No way to cut convex - - as the blade spins… kind of like a weedeater, it will cut the bottom flat.

like this - - the bottom profile just make a more blunt recess

Slope Line Font Parallel Rectangle

There is no "Pathway" as the blade plunges in, to leave material "behind" the cutter.

And you will always have a flat bottom, just like a flycutter grinding a cast iron table top. You cam make concave shapes, not convex though.

Pjones46 has teh best approach. cut the grooves, then go back with a roundover bit on the routertable.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.