LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
One of our customers was making a box like The Wood Whisperer showed on video recently. He was routing out the inside and found his bit was a bit (no pun intended) too short. Of course he did the "logical" thing, he brought the bit out of the collet enough to compensate. After tightening well, (or so he thought) he began to rout six boxes. Everything was fine until box #6. Realizing it was no longer cutting, he checked to see what was wrong.

This is what he found lying inside the box:

In all my years of woodworking, I've never seen this before.
Moral of this story---We sell longer bits!

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
DANG! glad he found it in the box, and not outside the box… on the way to E.R.

sure is a short bit.

safety safety safety….

thanks for the post

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
wow , kent ,
this is a new one .

i've had them chip ,
delaminate ,
and just fly out ,
but never seen a bent one .

lucky he wasn't hurt !

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Holy Cow! What was he thinking ( Not safety thats for sure) It looks to be 1/4" shaft and he only had it approx 1/2 " (at the most) in the chuck!!
Good thing it didn't lodge itself in his neck then he'd look like Frankinstien…....

This is a new one for sure!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Yep, that's a new one for me too!

Good thing it was inside a box where it couldn't FLY around and really do lots of damage!

Do you really make LONGER bits? :) :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
This would be a good time to ask if anyone has been injured by a broken router bit. Over the years I have broken a few, but they just seem to dribble to a stop on the table. i always feared a broken bit until it happened, and had the reaction I experienced about 5 times. My most recent was an upcut bit that stopped about where it broke, two of the others were v groove bits that i forced too much, did much the same thing.
Jack

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I have not had any bits break…

I'm scared of it happening…

Maybe I shouldn't be so scared? :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
What brand of bit does the shaft bend? The steel should be hardened and thus brittle. It should break. Just like drills. The cheap ones bend, a good one will break under too much pressure.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Now wait just a dog gone minute. They actually sell these bits at Harbor Freight. They're made to go around corners without causing tearout. Just in 1/4 inch mind you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.