LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need some advice regarding the type of bench dogs I should use on my workbench that I am designing. I'm looking at the Lie-Nielson round bench dogs as well as a coulple of other manufacturer's traditional rectangular dogs. I welcome your opinion as to which one, round or rectangular you prefer and of course why. Thanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been thinking about making a workbench for a while now. I think I'll use the round ones (unless I find out something new on your blog). I like the idea of drilling the holes after the top is glued up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go with the round dogs. I picked up the round Lie-Nielson brass bench dogs. The diameter of the shaft is 3/4" and the dog head is 1". The workmanship is flawless. Now I have to pick up a 3/4" and 1" brad tip drill bit for the holes to drill through the 4 1/4" hard maple dog block.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you have to drill holes for your round bench pegs use a plunge router. I made a jig to hold the router base in place that consisted of a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it the diameter of the router base with a piece of wood attaches under it to hold the router in the position needed to "drill" the holes. Then I clamped the jig to the bench where ever I needed to make the hols and HAVE A TIGHT GRIP ON THE ROUTER as it will try to "bounce" out of the jig. If you have question PM me and I will send you pictures if you will give me your "real email address".

You can get the bit from WoodCraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001396/701/Onsrud-HSS-Spiral-Upcut-Router-Bit--34-D--1-14-CL--3-14-OL--12-SH--Onsrud-40-141.aspx

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
John Gary,
I think its not possible to drill 4-1/4" deep hole using router, unless there is a very long router bit available in the market. If it is not possible to bring the table slab to the DP, laminate 2pcs 3/4" plywood scrap and drill the intended size on the drill Press and use it as a dril guide/template to make the bench dog holes.

·
Premium Member
25,671 Posts
I'd go round, easier to make the holes and just use a wood auger to make the deep holes. Maybe start them with a router so they look better or clean up with a router.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.