LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A "slight departure" from the Woodwhisperer Roubo Workbench Build

The desire for a new workbench was born before Marc began his Roubo build last year, but I can't say his 2012 videos did not throw more fuel on the fire, as did some of the "Worbench of your Dreams" discussions and topics here.

Personally, I need more space for storage, and it seems to be a waste to me to have an open base, so I decided to build an enclosed base, and in doing so, it caused me some design problems as I began to wander away from the WW plan. The more sites I looked at, the photos of the benches, discussions online, more books, getting so confusing…

I also wanted to incorporate a few of the Greene and Greene design elements which I enjoy so much, so that took me farther yet from the original Roubo.

This last year there have been numerous Roubo benches with an amazing amount of detail shown and explained, I will have a few less explanations and photos than some of the previous buids, but thought some of the differences will be interesting to see.

If you have questions about something I have not covered, please just ask…

Wood Road surface Brick Brickwork Gas

Wood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Tire

I happened upon a hot deal at the wholesaler last fall, and bought a whole lift of 8/4 European steamed beech for a steal of a deal.

Each piece was surface sanded and the edges looked like they had been jointed, but upon close inspection, it had been cut with what looked like a glue-line rip blade - flat and square edges, what more could you ask for?

Table Furniture Rectangle Computer desk Wood

Since it was winter in Alberta and the temperatures range from +5 to - 40 degrees Celcius, I waited for a warmer day to move some of the lumber into my shop, piled and stickered it, and covered it with a blanket to slow the drastic change in temperature.

Outdoor bench Wood Bench Floor Flooring

After about a week, I removed the blankets and began to work on the base.

Wood Floor Flooring Workbench Hardwood

I created a solid beech frame to sit on the floor, attached my plywood to it, and once the cabinet is finished will detail the plywood (hiding the edges and fasteners) with some beech trim.

Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Baltic birch plywood top and layout "story pole", planning how the "rails" will support the top slabs.

Wood Workbench Machine tool Hardwood Engineering

Building Machine tool Toolroom Engineering Industry

Wood Table Workbench Engineering Hardwood

Machining and gluing up the blanks for the legs. Two of the legs will be inside the case, the other two mounted on the face of the base cabinet to allow for easy installation of the leg vise.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Bumper

The Artistic Photo: Cleaning up some ridges from the jointer blades early one Saturday morning… I guess you had to be there.

Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Gas

Progress: Installation of the two legs inside the cabinet.

Next is machining and laminating the tops.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

The desire for a new workbench was born before Marc began his Roubo build last year, but I can't say his 2012 videos did not throw more fuel on the fire, as did some of the "Worbench of your Dreams" discussions and topics here.

Personally, I need more space for storage, and it seems to be a waste to me to have an open base, so I decided to build an enclosed base, and in doing so, it caused me some design problems as I began to wander away from the WW plan. The more sites I looked at, the photos of the benches, discussions online, more books, getting so confusing…

I also wanted to incorporate a few of the Greene and Greene design elements which I enjoy so much, so that took me farther yet from the original Roubo.

This last year there have been numerous Roubo benches with an amazing amount of detail shown and explained, I will have a few less explanations and photos than some of the previous buids, but thought some of the differences will be interesting to see.

I happened upon a hot deal at the wholesaler last fall, and bought a whole lift of 8/4 European steamed beech for a steal of a deal.

Each piece was surface sanded and the edges looked like they had been jointed, but upon close inspection, it had been cut with what looked like a glue-line rip blade - flat and square edges, what more could you ask for?

Since it was winter in Alberta and the temperatures range from +5 to - 40 degrees Celcius, I waited for a warmer day to move some of the lumber into my shop, piled and stickered it, and covered it with a blanket to slow the drastic change in temperature.

I created a solid beech frame to sit on the floor, attached my plywood to it, and once the cabinet is finished will detail the plywood (hiding the edges and fasteners) with some beech trim.

Baltic birch plywood top and layout "story pole", planning how the "rails" will support the top slabs.

Machining and gluing up the blanks for the legs. Two of the legs will be inside the case, the other two mounted on the face of the base cabinet to allow for easy installation of the leg vise.

The Artistic Photo: Cleaning up some ridges from the jointer blades early one Saturday morning… I guess you had to be there.

A bench with an enclosed base and some G&G flare? Sounds like a bunch of awesomeness to me. Can't wait to see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,448 Posts

Most excellent base, I really like the idea of a bench base inside of a
cabinet.

It lends itself to have a bank of drawers and or pullouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,678 Posts

It's looking good Randy. What's the plan for the crap that falls through the dog holes?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the comments; Don, the majority of the dog holes are outside the cabinet, but the top of the cabinet will be sealed with ply, leaving a 3.5" gap between the bottom of the laminated benchtop and the top of the cabinet. A good place to slide my jigs, etc. and will make it easy to clean if needed.

The next installment will clarify it, but you can see the gap if you picture the top installed (last photo) resting on the shoulders of the tenons.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts

"I happened upon a hot deal at the wholesaler last fall, and bought a whole lift of 8/4 European steamed beech for a steal of a deal."

I'm too envious of your "hot deal" to appreciate the nuances of your post! LOL ;-)

Seriously, looks good and I'm anxious to see how you incorporate the G&G elements. I agree 100% on utilizing the space under the bench top with a gap between top of cabinet and bottom of work top-I'd use such space for clamps mainly.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,678 Posts

That's what I figured Randy. Mine is built the same way. I keep stuff under there. Once in a great while I pull everything out to clean it.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,217 Posts

A bundle of milled beech… Wow! And I can't think of a better use for it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enjoying the winter months with my Beech!

I have extended the length of the base to make room for more drawers, and also the length of the top to 96" instead of the WW planned 87" since my material was 10' long and there seemed to be thought at the time that it would be better suited for what I do…

After a lot of planing and thicknessing (those pieces are really awkward and heavy after awhile) I was ready to start with the glue-ups of the top sections.

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Building

Most of the beech pieces I had were between 6" and 8" wide, so after ripping them down to about 4 1/4" with the Festool track saw, I had leftover strips.

Wood Floor Flooring Beige Rectangle

Not wanting to waste them, I jointed the edges and glued some up which would be laminated between the full size pieces and will never be seen (unless I plane 2" off the top of my bench).

Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Gas

My jointer knives had a small nick in them, and I used the scraping planes to clean up slight ridges left on the beech before gluing up.

Wood Gas Hardwood Art Machine

Just wanted to throw in a comment on the differences between the Lie Nielson and Veritas Scraping Planes - for some reason I purchased the LN, forgetting I had the Veritas stored in a drawer in the shop.

Both work well, but the thin blade on the Veritas screeched like a 7 year old girl touching a worm, no matter how I adjusted it. I found them both to be easy to handle yet the LN seemed to perform better, maybe because of the heavier blade? There was definitely less noise…

Wheel Wood Gas Engineering Tool

The next step was to orient the grain on the pieces and create the laminated tops.

Red Composite material Gas Metal Machine

Wood Flooring Gas Automotive tire Machine

I did use dominos to assist with alignment, and for the most part my glue-ups were without drama. I used Titebond III and found it to be quite "thick" and it seemed to create slight gaps between some of the pieces. I did use a number of clamps…

Wood Radial arm saw Hardwood Workbench Tool

After using a different glue (Gorilla white glue) for the later laminated pieces, I did not have any gaps.

Wood Wood stain Composite material Hardwood Plank

Some flattening and the next step is to apply the end caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

I have extended the length of the base to make room for more drawers, and also the length of the top to 96" instead of the WW planned 87" since my material was 10' long and there seemed to be thought at the time that it would be better suited for what I do…

After a lot of planing and thicknessing (those pieces are really awkward and heavy after awhile) I was ready to start with the glue-ups of the top sections.

Most of the beech pieces I had were between 6" and 8" wide, so after ripping them down to about 4 1/4" with the Festool track saw, I had leftover strips.

Not wanting to waste them, I jointed the edges and glued some up which would be laminated between the full size pieces and will never be seen (unless I plane 2" off the top of my bench).

My jointer knives had a small nick in them, and I used the scraping planes to clean up slight ridges left on the beech before gluing up.

Just wanted to throw in a comment on the differences between the Lie Nielson and Veritas Scraping Planes - for some reason I purchased the LN, forgetting I had the Veritas stored in a drawer in the shop.

Both work well, but the thin blade on the Veritas screeched like a 7 year old girl touching a worm, no matter how I adjusted it. I found them both to be easy to handle yet the LN seemed to perform better, maybe because of the heavier blade? There was definitely less noise…

The next step was to orient the grain on the pieces and create the laminated tops.

I did use dominos to assist with alignment, and for the most part my glue-ups were without drama. I used Titebond III and found it to be quite "thick" and it seemed to create slight gaps between some of the pieces. I did use a number of clamps…

After using a different glue (Gorilla white glue) for the later laminated pieces, I did not have any gaps.

Coming along nicely. Like the idea of laminating the strips and using them in the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks Shane, I think they would have been wasted had I not used them that way. And if I ever plane my bench down that far, well, it will be time to build another…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dog Strip, Routing, End caps, plugs

Table Cabinetry Wood Drawer Desk

I did follow the WoodWhisperer's plans for the dog holes as well as many of the other elements. I reversed the dog hole jig to make one for the dog block which was canted in the opposite direction. The only thing that accomplished was it kept the 3/8" strip on the movable dog block on the same side as the glue-up.

Brown Wood Map Flooring Font

Wood Flooring Fines herbes Hardwood Tints and shades

Routing the dog holes went smoothly, lots of sawdust and shavings!

Engineering Gas Building Machine Tool

Gluing the thin strip to the routed piece with a full length caul.

Brown Wood Rectangle Beige Tints and shades

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Automotive exterior Varnish

Brought in the padauk and covered it to acclimate it to the shop.

Gas Wood Machine Engineering Cylinder

Pieces cut and glued up to make up the end caps. I am not fond of the look of the end grain on the traditional Roubo bench, so made the decision to cap all four ends.

Wood Hand tool Tool Gas Hardwood

Checking the wagon vise hardware for measurements.

Wood Engineering Electrical wiring Machine Gas

Routing out for wagon vise travel.

Wood Workbench Gas Table Machine tool

I used 5/16" x 8" bolts to fasten the end caps to the slab with Dominos for registration. Access holes for the bolts, washers and nuts on the underside of the slab.

Wood Table Tool Gas Hardwood

Fitting the cap.

Brown Wood Material property Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Scientific instrument Engineering Gas Science

I wanted to hide the bolt heads, so created a jig to rout out for the exposed plugs to cover the bolts. First drilled a recess for the head of the bolt and washer to sit flush, drilled the hole for the bolt, then routed for the plug.

Table Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Some light planing required to flush up the end caps. Made proud plugs of rosewood scraps, rounded over (pillowed).

Next is installation of wagon vise and further prep for the slabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

I did follow the WoodWhisperer's plans for the dog holes as well as many of the other elements. I reversed the dog hole jig to make one for the dog block which was canted in the opposite direction. The only thing that accomplished was it kept the 3/8" strip on the movable dog block on the same side as the glue-up.

Pieces cut and glued up to make up the end caps. I am not fond of the look of the end grain on the traditional Roubo bench, so made the decision to cap all four ends.

I used 5/16" x 8" bolts to fasten the end caps to the slab with Dominos for registration. Access holes for the bolts, washers and nuts on the underside of the slab.

Fitting the cap.

I wanted to hide the bolt heads, so created a jig to rout out for the exposed plugs to cover the bolts. First drilled a recess for the head of the bolt and washer to sit flush, drilled the hole for the bolt, then routed for the plug.

Some light planing required to flush up the end caps. Made proud plugs of rosewood scraps, rounded over (pillowed).

Looks like this bench is going to be pretty amazing, and a nice fit in your shop. Lots of good stuff to see in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,679 Posts

Fitting the cap.

Friggin beautiful

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Benchcrafted Hardware installation and a surprise visit

Table Wood Workbench Tool Hardwood

Wood Gas Hardwood Machine Wood stain

Wood Floor Wood stain Table Hardwood

Installation of the wagon vise hardware - very easy to follow directions!

Wood Flooring Gas Engineering Machine

Gluing up the paduak for the leg vise. If you are going to use the crisscross system, ensure you have a minimum of 2 1/4" final thickness on your vise as the cavity routed for the hardware is considerable.

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Metal

Plywood top is in place and vise hardware is partially assembled.

Wood Fixture Gas Hardwood Electrical wiring

Couldn't resist trying the hardware out after the right front leg was drilled for the holdfast clamps.

Wood Gas Hardwood Flooring Machine

Marking out for the hardware installation on the left front leg.

Wood Engineering Event Job Artisan

Had a surprise visit from a friend, some of you may recognize Rob Cosman "Your Hand Tool Coach" (robcosman.com) who had wrapped up a seminar about 90 minutes away and dropped in to inspect my work and said he was here to take pictures of our colts for his wife… I think he really wanted to see if I was using my dovetail saw correctly.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Varnish

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Back on track again, I shaped the leg vise with subtle "cloud lift" details and am sampling the fit of the CrissCross before drilling for the Benchcrafted vise hardware.

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Ruler

The one thing that could be an issue is drilling the hole through the 9" width of the chop for the 3/8" supporting rod of the CrissCross. If you don't have a 10" brad point bit, it can be difficult lining both holes up. Fortunately I had located a set of 12" bits and it worked perfectly, but they are not as easy to find as I thought they might be.

Wood Toy airplane Wood stain Hardwood Aircraft

As you can see the concept is quite simple; and it works very slick and smooth. I was surprised to find that the hardware would not completely recess into the cavity that BC had recommended. Went back and checked their site to find they had added another page to the instructions describing the gap at the bottom where the leg meets the chop. I did a little more excavation, recessing the steel plate and got mine to close up within 1/8" which just looks better.

Wood Engineering Gas Machine tool Machine

Trying the fit of the hardware with the leg.

Wood Building Workbench Gas Hardwood

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Machine

Looks like there will be at least 9 1/2" of opening - a little more than I expected.

Wood Door Handle Wood stain Hardwood

As you can see, the mortise for the hardware is quite deep.

Wood Table Rectangle Tool Computer desk

Trying the fit of the "rails" which will support the slabs. I had left the tenons on the legs long, but decided to raise the top up 3/4", which would give me a little extra between bottom of the laminated top and the top of my cabinet for my jigs. I trimmed the rails and posts with strips of padauk.

Next will be mortising the slabs to fit on the base.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

Gluing up the paduak for the leg vise. If you are going to use the crisscross system, ensure you have a minimum of 2 1/4" final thickness on your vise as the cavity routed for the hardware is considerable.

Couldn't resist trying the hardware out after the right front leg was drilled for the holdfast clamps.

Had a surprise visit from a friend, some of you may recognize Rob Cosman "Your Hand Tool Coach" (robcosman.com) who had wrapped up a seminar about 90 minutes away and dropped in to inspect my work and said he was here to take pictures of our colts for his wife… I think he really wanted to see if I was using my dovetail saw correctly.

Back on track again, I shaped the leg vise with subtle "cloud lift" details and am sampling the fit of the CrissCross before drilling for the Benchcrafted vise hardware.

The one thing that could be an issue is drilling the hole through the 9" width of the chop for the 3/8" supporting rod of the CrissCross. If you don't have a 10" brad point bit, it can be difficult lining both holes up. Fortunately I had located a set of 12" bits and it worked perfectly, but they are not as easy to find as I thought they might be.

As you can see the concept is quite simple; and it works very slick and smooth. I was surprised to find that the hardware would not completely recess into the cavity that BC had recommended. Went back and checked their site to find they had added another page to the instructions describing the gap at the bottom where the leg meets the chop. I did a little more excavation, recessing the steel plate and got mine to close up within 1/8" which just looks better.

Looks like there will be at least 9 1/2" of opening - a little more than I expected.

Trying the fit of the "rails" which will support the slabs. I had left the tenons on the legs long, but decided to raise the top up 3/4", which would give me a little extra between bottom of the laminated top and the top of my cabinet for my jigs. I trimmed the rails and posts with strips of padauk.

The shape of the vice is cool. Love the G&G twist. Hopefully,you were using the dovetail saw correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

Chop kinda looks like a giant tapered hole peg. Nice little anti-rack vice spacer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,679 Posts

I sometimes contemplate retro fitting my bench with a criss cross. Jealous.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Scott, I don't think you would regret the retrofit - crank the wheel and that's all there is to it, no matter how large or small a piece you want to hold…

Attachments

·
Registered
4,679 Posts

Randy, I put in the chain vise so I don't have to mess with a pin. Yet, I don't think the chop action is a smooth as it should be. A retro fit requires a whole new chop.

Still, I will think about.

BTW, your bench is very impressive.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.