LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My wife bought was given a Sears version to use with her intarsia…it is still sitting new in the box. We found that it too aggressive and "wanders" off the line too much when cutting wood. Looks great in commercials but in real life….

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've used mine for cutting drywall around electrical boxes, and occasionally use it for small router jobs using a 1/4" shank bit.

Like several other tools I have, I'll hang on to it because as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it. - lol

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I find my Roto-zip to be very useful.

It makes up for a dremel, with the flex shaft.
The angle grinder is useful in many situations with sanding or grinding.
I use rough rasps directly attached to the unit for shaping of material.

I think it's great, I use mine almost daily when I'm working. Course it depends on the type of projects you make. Makes up for the lack of other tools I can't afford.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I bought mine for a bathroom reno. It was worth it for the one job with the older cement board.
Ive used it for a few electrical box cutouts since.
It's paid for and always ready.
I generally don't' buy specialty tools unless I have and immediate need.
With the price of trades people up here right now the tools are way cheaper.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't have a Rotozip but do use a Dremmel. I use the little drum sander on the Dremmel to finish coping crown and other types of moulding. I get close with a coping saw, then sand away the rest. Other uses are just for a small grinding/cutting wheel or wire wheel. I've used the spiral cutting bits like a Rotozip on a few occasions while cutting drywall or plastics.

·
Registered
285 Posts
used mine primarily for drywall…. but, it really came in handy cutting holes on the wooden soffits of my house for ventillation that i covered with vented aluminum…. I used the heavy duty bits. it was the only tool that would fit in the narrow space… worked great!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I dumped my rotozip after trying to use it to, hopefully, cut straight lines with a few distinctive curves. The cuts turned out absolutely terrible and I reverted to my reliable hand tools. I think the garbage guy saw it on top of the pile and took it. Hope he has better luck.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I don't own a Roto Zip and judging by the Comments here I won't bother….LOL…

Watching to much TV I was of the impression that they were GREAT for cutting out Drywall around Wall or Ceiling Outlets. Maybe not? In any event I've installed Many Tons of Drywall the old fashioned way. You know …6-5/8" form the side of the Drywall to the box Edge ….21-7/8" from the bottom to the bottom of the box ….CUT! ....Fit ..SCREAM!!!

About a Month ago I found this Little Idea that would have saved a lot of problems. It was one of those DUH!! moments. Why did I never think of this!!

Drywall Cutting B

Drywall Cutting A

For what it might be Worth? There you have it!! ;-}

Rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have two Rotozips…one is set up for a disc and the other has a bit in it. I use them at work quite frequently. With that said I would never, never use one in my shop. There is next to no control so they are great for roughing but really lousy for finish or trim work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.