LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sad day for Mike

I almost didn't share this amazing stupid mistake with everyone, but the outcome is likely to be a very positive.

After Christmas I bought a new Lie Nielsen #7, with money I got from my family and some of mine. It came in last week and this weekend I used it for the first time. I got the blade all tuned up and took a few passes on a test board and centered the blade. Then started to true up some boards, I had just milled for my new workbench. After a little while I started to see plane tracks and thought it was odd, because I was taking full width shavings. I took a few more passes, and I was still seeing plane tracks. I turned the plane over and my jaw almost hit the floor. There two nasty scratches on the sole of my new plane! Words came out of my mouth that I can't use here. I looked at the board and went thought the shaving looking for what I had hit. I found nothing! I didn't feel anything when using the plane. I couldn't figure it out, but after a little while I think I know what happened. I was running a lot of boards thought my thickness planer. Usually I put the boards on my bench, but this time I had too many. Guess were they ended up, on the floor of my garage. I think there was some grit or something on the floor and it got on the board. You know what happened next.

Now for the happy part of the story. I sent an email to Lie Nielsen, asking if they could resurface the sole of my plane. I expected to get a response back that said sure, and by the way send us lots of money. They said they would try and make it good as new, and they would do it for free! You have to love a company like that. When I get the plane back I'll post some before and after pictures. I'd post the before pictures now, but the hurt is still too fresh to share right now.

I hope I never do something this stupid and potentially expensive again. If they hadn't already, Lie Nielsen has a devoted customer now.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
A sad day for Mike

I almost didn't share this amazing stupid mistake with everyone, but the outcome is likely to be a very positive.

After Christmas I bought a new Lie Nielsen #7, with money I got from my family and some of mine. It came in last week and this weekend I used it for the first time. I got the blade all tuned up and took a few passes on a test board and centered the blade. Then started to true up some boards, I had just milled for my new workbench. After a little while I started to see plane tracks and thought it was odd, because I was taking full width shavings. I took a few more passes, and I was still seeing plane tracks. I turned the plane over and my jaw almost hit the floor. There two nasty scratches on the sole of my new plane! Words came out of my mouth that I can't use here. I looked at the board and went thought the shaving looking for what I had hit. I found nothing! I didn't feel anything when using the plane. I couldn't figure it out, but after a little while I think I know what happened. I was running a lot of boards thought my thickness planer. Usually I put the boards on my bench, but this time I had too many. Guess were they ended up, on the floor of my garage. I think there was some grit or something on the floor and it got on the board. You know what happened next.

Now for the happy part of the story. I sent an email to Lie Nielsen, asking if they could resurface the sole of my plane. I expected to get a response back that said sure, and by the way send us lots of money. They said they would try and make it good as new, and they would do it for free! You have to love a company like that. When I get the plane back I'll post some before and after pictures. I'd post the before pictures now, but the hurt is still too fresh to share right now.

I hope I never do something this stupid and potentially expensive again. If they hadn't already, Lie Nielsen has a devoted customer now.
A friend had a similar experience with a No. 7 from LN. It was marred when he got it in the mail. They sent him a new plane, no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Great story. Sorry about the plane.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A sad day for Mike

I saw the company featured on "Cool Tools" on the DIY network and their factory & assemby is amazing. They really are top notch and the fact that they are going to resurface the sole of your plane for free really comports with their spirit of excellence that was self evident on the feature that I saw.

It's great that your mistake this time didn't cost you. I have a few COSTLY mistake stories of my own and I do agree with you that they are painful and hurtful, but at the same time they are the best lessons.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Tom Lie-Nielsen has the right idea. If you make friends of your customers pretty soon you will have enough money. Good to hear a good review.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A sad day for Mike

I always learn from my mistakes, but this one I could have done without.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A sad day for Mike

It would be nice if more companies realized what it truly means to take care of the customer. Even though it was not a defect they wanted you to be happy and enjoy their product. Not only did they keep you as a good customer but you've shared this story with LJ and given them good (not to mention, free) press that will encourage others to shop with them.

Hope the plane comes back perfect, sorry if I rambled - customer service is one of my passions/peeves!

·
Registered
777 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Mike,

I'll be sure to learn from your mistake, though. Thanks for sharing it with us!

·
Registered
948 Posts
A sad day for Mike

And people say good customer service is dead. Glad to know it's still alive and well!

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
A sad day for Mike

I'm sorry this had to happen to you.

Lie-Nielson will be well rewarded for its kindness.

·
Registered
291 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Lie-Nielson is a great company. I have a few of their planes and chisels, will continue to
shop with them.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Thanks for sharing…Lie-Nielson will no doubt be well compenstaed for providing you with great service. I know where I'll llook next time I want a fine tool.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Does anyone own any Lee-Valley and Lie-Nielson planes? I'm interested in buying some quality planes and had been considering the Lee-Valley. Is one of the two better than the other? What about customer service at Lee-Valley?

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
A sad day for Mike

I have a Lee-Valley standard angle block plane, and a Lie-Nielsen low angle block plane. I would describe the quality as comparable-very good. I have never had to personally deal with customer service on either plane.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A sad day for Mike

The Lie-Nielson folks have customer service down. They understand that loyal customers are the best advertisement.

Good story Mike.

Dalec

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A sad day for Mike

Bummer deal, Mike. I'm glad to hear LN is treating you so well. Congrats on owning the plane. I haven't been able to graduate to that point yet.

IowaWoodcrafter, check out the two-part interview MsDebbieP did with Lee Valley. I think you will find their customer service is top notch.

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/MsDebbieP/blog/1633

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A sad day for Mike

I shipped the plane out yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it back in a couple weeks.

I don't own any Lee Valley/Veritas planes yet, but I understand they are of a high quality. I've been looking at their Plow Plane.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A sad day for Mike

I have the LV shoulder plane, which I chose over the LN medium…and I have a couple LN planes (low angle block and low angle jack)...my impression is that the two companies are both making fine quality tools. Also, I had a steel straightedge from LV that was never right. It was accurate on one side (guaranteed to be within .001" over the entire length), but out by .006" on the other (it had twist, rocked on edge). I marked the good side and used it for 6-9 months. I decided to call and ask LV what I could do about it, thinking probably nothing, becuase it had been so long since the purchase. Well, that wasn't the case; LV sent me a new one within a week and told me to ship the old one back to them in the package the new one came in!

So, I think we're dealing with two companies here that take customer service seriously!

Sorry to hear about the #7 incident, but happy to hear of the outcome! I'm looking at that little LV plow too!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Plane Has Landed

After telling my heartbreaking story I said I would post pictures after I got my plane back from Lie-Nielsen. Well it finally showed up.

Over the long weekend my wife and I were doing some painting in our house. Monday afternoon we were working in the front hallway, and I heard a truck pull up in front of house. I said to her, did you hear a UPS truck pull up to the house? She said no. I said I'm sure I hear a UPS truck pull up. I said I haven't ordered anything lately, did you? She said no. I said, oh wow it could be my plane coming back home. A few seconds later the doorbell rang. Sure enough there was a long box just the size of a #7 hand plane. I came back in the house with a big smile on my face. She said, you heard the UPS truck pull up, do you salivate whenever you hear a UPS truck? I have to admit I stop and listen whenever I hear the UPS truck, to see if it's stopping at the house :). I haven't started to drool yet, but that may happen someday.

Even though it still hurts to look at the pictures, I will post the pictures anyway. Here are the before pictures. The pictures don't really show it, but the scratches were pretty deep. They left marks on the wood, even after I cleaned up the nicked blade.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's how the plane came back, you can't even tell there were scratches. They did a fantastic job. There was even a hand written note from the guy that did the work. He said he also made sure the sides were still square after grinding the scratches out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The lesson to learn from this. Don't store your wood on the floor and always exam your lumber before working it with any tools.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The Plane Has Landed

After telling my heartbreaking story I said I would post pictures after I got my plane back from Lie-Nielsen. Well it finally showed up.

Over the long weekend my wife and I were doing some painting in our house. Monday afternoon we were working in the front hallway, and I heard a truck pull up in front of house. I said to her, did you hear a UPS truck pull up to the house? She said no. I said I'm sure I hear a UPS truck pull up. I said I haven't ordered anything lately, did you? She said no. I said, oh wow it could be my plane coming back home. A few seconds later the doorbell rang. Sure enough there was a long box just the size of a #7 hand plane. I came back in the house with a big smile on my face. She said, you heard the UPS truck pull up, do you salivate whenever you hear a UPS truck? I have to admit I stop and listen whenever I hear the UPS truck, to see if it's stopping at the house :). I haven't started to drool yet, but that may happen someday.

Even though it still hurts to look at the pictures, I will post the pictures anyway. Here are the before pictures. The pictures don't really show it, but the scratches were pretty deep. They left marks on the wood, even after I cleaned up the nicked blade.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's how the plane came back, you can't even tell there were scratches. They did a fantastic job. There was even a hand written note from the guy that did the work. He said he also made sure the sides were still square after grinding the scratches out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The lesson to learn from this. Don't store your wood on the floor and always exam your lumber before working it with any tools.
Now that's customer service! Interesting story.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.