LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
boo. Craftsman in orange and grey.

was hoping they'd keep the 4511 construction and mass and just replace the top since some folks don't care for the granite.

oh well. at least it has a better riving knife system, and nicer fence more useful fence than the 4511. still glad I have the 4511.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
the craftsman version seems to have serious alignment issues. I would be interested to see if they have already addressed and resolved those, as this will leave the saw almost useless and a PITA to use

·
Registered
457 Posts
I like the blade tilt on the right, the switch, the riving knife blade guard, and the colors. The mobile base looks like it's been improved, too.

Not sure why anyone would build a table saw now without a t-square style fence mechanism. Also, why not make the whole top cast iron?

Maybe one step forward and two steps back for the 4512 saw. I'll withhold judgement though until I get to lay my own eyes on it at the store.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
spclPatrolGroup - yes indeed. these saws are outsourced, Craftsman, ridgid, SteelCity, and another Canadian company has long been using the same factory to mfg several of their tools - tablesaws specifically.

This brings me to the large number of complains that are related to the already in the market Craftsman 'version' (color scheme) of this saw that seems to have some serious alignment issues that are related directly to poor machining of the arbor and trunnions. This seem like a major step down in quality from their 3650/60 4511 saws which were all fantastic machines.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Ain't that the reason that a lot of Sears power tools are refered to as "Crapsman"?
What a shame that a brand(s) like Ridgid or Craftsman loose sight of the goal.
My old Craftsman stuff (some are 50 yrs. old) is as good as new after all this time. Sure ain't that way today.
Bill (and yes, that's really the way I feel)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Table Saw to OEM Relationship
Ridgid 4511 = Craftsman 22116 = Steel City 35925 = Orion Manufacturing
TS3560/60 = Ridgid TS2412 = Craftsman 113.XXXXX = Emerson Electric

This saw is basically the Craftsman 21833 / Dayton and is imported by Colvos Company as the Private Label which is a significantly different relationship than an OEM. Beside disguising the original manufacturer (or holding company that has a significant stake in that manufacturer) it also signifies that this particular model is a a transition model, tomorrow it could be gone to be replaced by a saw with compleatly incompatable parts.

Another issue is that the Craftman 351 code has yet to produce a strong and reliable example of manufacturing, the lathe, nail guns and other saws have been pretty bad flops. That Emerson (Ridgid) is getting in bed with Colvos or the unknown factory they've been using for the 21833 is interesting.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
This must be to reach low price point. Gone are the cabinet mounted trunnions and solid wings. I've heard of others having some alignment issues with the Craftsman 21833, but I've also read of others who think i's a great saw. I find it hard to believe that's the best they could offer in the wake of the TS3660 and R4511. In the words of the Guinness beer scientist's side kick "brilliant!".

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I had already come to the conclusion that the Sears saw was the only thing close to serving the mid-range saw market once Ridgid stopped building their saw.This should put the granite top to rest, they look nice but that's about all they do for a table saw. I will stick with my TS3650 until I wear it out.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So I have not kept up with the tool manufactures lately, did Ryobi and Ridgid merge ? In the article it talked about the Ryobi/Ridgid rep, so I was just wondering if that happened.

Interesting how the manufactures talked up the advantages of the granite table tops, but seem to be going back to the metal instead. I would be more concerned on breaking the granite one than the metal one, but suppose both could be broken.

Not many of the name brands make their own tools any more. They are outsourced, which is probably why they all look similar. A different color scheme, a minor addition and then you have a new model. But the country of origin is generally the same.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.