LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
The European hinges seem to have a couple of different mount types: Face frame (which looks like what your link shows) and frameless. Then there is the overlay issue. As I recall: 'full-overlay' was for single door installation, 'half-overlay' was for two doors that open against each other… uh, hinges mounted between the doors, and finally 'inset' which is when the doors are mounted flush to the cabinet face. I talked to someone at Lee Valley who was pretty patient with me. I got the right ones and they work. If you by them make sure you get a set. Apparently you can buy the parts separate, at least for Blum hinges.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=55420&cat=3,41241

·
Registered
459 Posts
Most of those euro hinges come as hinges and separate plates or cabinet pieces so you can change overlays. There used to be some 3/8 inset types but I haven't seen any in a while. Usually those 3/8 inset doors did not have much of an overlap on the frame, the door might be 1/2" bigger than the opening giving a 1/4" overlay. They all have some adjustment in and out to adjust the overlay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i am finally getting around to this project, but things are not quite what i thought. I do not actually have inset doors, I have partial overlay doors. I am having a bit of trouble determining which hinges to get though and how overlay sizes work. I measured a single door, and then measured the opening that door came from. The door was 1/2" larger than the opening, this would lead me to believe i have 1/4" overlay hinges? I am having trouble locating 1/4" overlay though. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank a lot

Photobucket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.