LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I recently upgraded from a Ryobi (Playschool) Tablesaw, my first, to a real adult's saw, the DWE7491RS. I am overall pleased with the functionality and modularity of saw and stand. The miter gauge and gauge channel, though, have a little slop that I'm not too pleased with. Is there an adjustment I can make to the supplied gauge track or should I get an aftermarket? Any suggestions on a low-cost version?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I always use a carpenters square to set the blade at true 90 degrees.. I also use a small digital angle meter if I want to tune it to some other degree. I think you can get them at Rockler.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Oh, sorry, my mind went elsewhere. Don't know what you can do about that, I never use the miter slot on mine. It's mostly full of bits of glue anyway.

·
In Loving Memory
15,066 Posts
Take a center punch and a hammer and punch small divots in the bottom edge of your miter bar to expand it slightly. If you get it too tight a little sanding will get it just right.

·
Banned
428 Posts
Go after market. I was eyeing the Incra V27 (can be found for ~$55-$60) but got a killer deal on a 1000HD. It has proven to be a phenominal investment for my Dewalt DWE7491RS.

- paxorion
A agree with that. It is sad how many proud trusted tool makes such as DeWalt and Ridgid went the Cheap Chinese Political Prisoner route to shave a few bucks and the product is worse than CRAP

I have had people that work in Metal their whole lives that CAN NOT identify the metals used in some major parts of the current Power tools being made in China.

A couple have told me it's whatever they find to through in the smelter that day. Including radioactive metals

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
Drill and tap it (the miter bar that is). Use brass set screws to take up the slack at the front middle and back. Use purple or blue loctite. Think I might've used 6-32×1" slotted and just cut the head off, then cut a new slot so it could sink into the gauge.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I understand you correctly the miter gauge is a bit loose in the miter slots, try running a piece of masking tape down the side edge of the miter gauge or do a full wrap, that should fix you right up, dont worry, thats a fantastic saw, congrats with the new purchase.

ps, dont worry too much about a slight slop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everybody. Good idea with the tape, Mike. I'll try that first. If it doesn't work, I'll buy an Incra. I don't think all that futzing around with center punches and drills is worth the cheapo gauge that they provided. paxorion, where'd you find that deal?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks, everybody. Good idea with the tape, Mike. I ll try that first. If it doesn t work, I ll buy an Incra. I don t think all that futzing around with center punches and drills is worth the cheapo gauge that they provided. paxorion, where d you find that deal?

- bhacksaw
Which one are you referring to? The Incra V27 has listings on Google and Amazon for the pricing I stated

I got my Incra 1000HD from Rockler for $120. It's come up at that price twice in 2014.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.