LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
about 3 or 4 years ago I made a run of mahogany spoons for relatives as Christmas gifts.

Gave one to my wife and it is getting dried out. Today I put a generous coat of mineral oil. This is the result …

·
Registered
523 Posts
Larry-I am confused!!! I thought paraffin oil is what we call kerosene (similar to heating oil or diesel) or is that what the British call kerosene????

Maybe we need an American / British /Australian / whatever/ dictionary !!!

Three peoples divided by one language!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cool looking spoon! Have you considered using Walnut Oil? Mineral oil is food safe, but never dries and will wash out with soap and water. The Walnut Oil is supposed to build successive layers as you treat the implement. Also, it's not a nut oil so you don't have to worry about people with nut allergies.

I treat my spoons once an hour for a day, once a day for a week and once a week for a month. Then every month or two when it starts looking dry.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
It looks great!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Terry, I'm curious how you think walnut oil is not a nut oil. I checked some sites out on how it's made and found this quote on a forum

"In brief to make walnut oil you gather, dry, & crack your walnuts. Then you grind them finely and 'cook' them. After cooking they're pressed & filtered and are ready for sale."

I thought maybe it's made from the tree itself, and not the actual nut, but I can't find any evidence of this. Please explain

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Chidress,
I had the same concern as one of my g-sons is allergic. I fired off an email to Highland WW, purveyors of Mahoneys Walnut oil.
I'll post their response.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I think the food grade Walnut oil would be safe.

The kind they use for some wood finishes have dryers, other chemicals.

Check this out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't seem to find the article that I read. It has to do something with the fact that Walnut oil (at least the Mahoney's Walnut finish) isn't made from the nut oil. I believe it's made from parts of the tree if I'm not mistaken. I'm an internet nut, and I researched it to death before switching over to it. I'll post it up when I find it. But I distinctly remember that it was safe for people with nut allergies because it wasn't actually nut oil. I'll send it to you when I find it.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Here is the reply I received from Highland.
They are not sticking their neck out, for sure.

Thank you for your inquiry.

This oil is heat treated and cures, unlike oil you get at the supermarket. Does the "cured" form mean it would not cause an allergic reaction? I do not know.

Since food manufacturers list that certain foodstuffs are processed on machinery used to process other foods that contain nuts, it seems that with some people, even the smallest amounts of the nut can be problematic.

You need to ask yourself what level of risk you are comfortable accepting. You can use a mineral oil finish (a non-curing finish) and remove the worry of nut allergies completely.

See it here:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/butcherblockoil.aspx

For a curing finish that is non-toxic, once it is completely cured, see this link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/behlensaladbowlfinishpint.aspx

Regards,

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.