LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
11,591 Posts
I have an old Lignomat but honestly the technology of moisture meters is unsophisticated by today's standards of manufacturing and paying a premium price for a European brand like Lignomat is likely not something you need to do to get accurate readings.

· Banned
8,402 Posts
Pinned will be less expensive, but don't think you can just push it into the face of a board and get a good reading. For real accuracy it's recommended to cut around six inches off the length and take your reading in the center of the exposed surface. Otherwise, you're reading the surface moisture content and not the core.

The real pinless meters like Wagner and Lignomat are in the $300 range and up, with the Wagners more in the $400 and up zone. All the cheaper ones like General are good for is leak detection. They'll detect moisture, but not with sufficient accuracy for woodworking.

· Registered
5,244 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
I have been very happy with mine, but I don't remember what kind it is. It has pins; I didn't pay a lot for it, and I put it in a box or drawer so that it would be easy to find…. six or seven months ago and I haven't found it since.

· Banned
8,402 Posts
Amazon has only the meter for 310.00

- zorro9
Welcome to LumberJocks.

That's not what I'd call a game-changer. But hey, who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky and find a buyer here. In general, I'd never pay even 50% of retail for a used item, especially electronics with no guarantee. Accessories generally don't add much value.

Speaking of Zorro. It's Spanish for fox. The original 1957 series starred Guy Williams. It was classic early television, and Guy went on to play Prof. John Robinson in the '60s series Lost in Space. Just a bit of TV trivia.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amazon has only the meter for 310.00

- zorro9

Welcome to LumberJocks.

That s not what I d call a game-changer. But hey, who knows? Maybe you ll get lucky and find a buyer here. In general, I d never pay even 50% of retail for a used item, especially electronics with no guarantee. Accessories generally don t add much value.

Speaking of Zorro. It s Spanish for fox. The original 1957 series starred Guy Williams. It was classic early television, and Guy went on to play Prof. John Robinson in the 60s series Lost in Space. Just a bit of TV trivia.

- Rich
I never did like Lost In Space. In my opinion it was lame.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pin or pinless, that is the question!

- Madmark2
I've been looking at some Ligno and Wagner pinless. Here is my question: The specs on these specify a measuring depth of 3/4". I, at times, work with 6/4 and 8/4 stock. Then what?

· Premium Member
10,529 Posts
How and why you use a moisture meter may determine how much you want to spend. I just use mine to get a rough idea how much any green wood I have milled or turned myself has dried before using or proceeding. When I first got my cheapo pinned meter, I actually checked it by weighing and drying a small piece in the oven and it turned out to be accurate within a couple of percent. I checked it at several points as it dried and the results were pretty consistent along the entire range. The biggest problem with the cheap pinned ones is that it can be hard to get the pins in deep enough into hardwoods without risking breaking it but for my casual use, it still gives me the approximate result I need. I also have a cheap pinless meter but it is less convenient to use because you have to know the density of the wood to get an accurate reading. It has a table for common woods to set the density setting but if the wood is not on the chart, you have to go find it's density and find a similar wood on the chart. While it doesn't leave pinholes (why I bought it), it does have to have a flat spot that is wide enough for the meter to get a reading. I haven't tried to test it with the oven dry method but it gives me readings in the same ballpark as the pinned one as long as I take the time to pick the right density setting.

Both of my cheap meters are the Dr. Meter brand available on Amazon.

· Registered
5 Posts
I ve been looking at some Ligno and Wagner pinless. Here is my question: The specs on these specify a measuring depth of 3/4". I, at times, work with 6/4 and 8/4 stock. Then what?

- dbw
According to Wagner's website: "The Orion 910 Deep Depth Pinless Moisture Meter is ideal for reading the moisture content in wood thicknesses from .75" (19mm) to 1.5" (38mm)."

https://www.wagnermeters.com/shop/orion-910-deep/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.