LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Question for the Home Repair types

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Renovation 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a central cooling unit drain from my 3rd floor that drains over my back door… it is also getting the side of my house really wet. What would you guys recommend I do to at least get this water from dripping just outside my back door?

Here is what I am looking at.

See less See more
#6 ·
From the photo I can only see that you have an issue that needs to be resolved. I can not see where or what the drain is. My first thought would be to install a longer drain line (3/4" PVC, which is pretty standard for HVAC units) that reaches to just a few inches above the ground.

#8 ·
Yep get some Schedle 80 PVC (the grey type) as it is UV resistant, and route it around the window to the ground. You can paint it the same color as the Stucco once you get it all together.

#9 ·
It is code to put the drain line above a window. I normally run the drain down a wall and exit close to the ground. I don't know what the code is in your area, but I would ask myself, what is worse? a rotten wall and window to contend with or a pipe that is going down the wall. If you do bring a pipe down the outside wall make sure you paint it. It will protect the pvc from dying and cracking prematurely.

#11 ·
Around here there many dairy farms. These operations use clear, flexible PVC tubing of various diameters. Running a line from the drain to a more convenient location would not be as noticeable and easily formed with this type of tubing.

#12 ·
the drain is put above a window so that you know when it is draining. This drain is not supposed to serve as a main drain, it's there to let you know that the main drain is clogged. Typically, they will drain the unit into the master (or whatever is closer) bathroom sink drain. Check in your bath cabs and see if you see the drain, maybe it's clogged right there.

#14 ·
Those drains are set up to take the condensation out of the system so that the unit is not damaged by rust and moisture. You might check to see if the unit has another drain….but if it is just an air conditioning system (self contained - using a refrigerant it probably does not - if the unit is a swamp type - or evaporative cooler - then it would definitely have a bigger main drain).

I would then do as sIKE remarked and reroute that drain. I wouldn't use any hose or other flexible media as it will have a tendency to slap at the wall during windy or stormy days…and this would be more annoying.

#17 ·
You could always avoid the ugly pipe extension and go "the Kyoto way".

Let me explain it for you:

As this is a very old city, in all the temples and shrines and plenty of old traditional houses-all of them made of wood, mind you-they forgo the vertical gutter pipes and attach a small chain to the horizontal portion of them. This way, the water naturally sticks to it and follows the path of the links without splashing on your wall. As a bonus, you can attach the lower end of the chain do one side of the roof below so it gets out of the way of the window.

I don't know whether you follow me or not but, if necessary, I can post a picture.

#18 ·
I think I understand what your talking about Jojo… I lived in Japan for a while and remember seeing similar work arounds. I think my problem is as stated by Childress. I will need to place a call for them to come clear the main drain.

Thank you all for your help identifying the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.