LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Is it just me or does the Pearl hide glue stink like dead animal much worse than Granular hide glue.

I use the pearl for veneering because it gives you more time before it gel's and granular I use for joints with a shorter dry time. Just wondering if anybody's has a good nose like myself?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I have only used ground hide from Homestead Finishing (192g strength), and Liquid Hide from titebond.

I did add urea when I worked on a chair restoration to lengthen the set time.

Have heard that burned glue will stink. Used to be a common thing in old shops to keep the glue in a double walled gluepot, but add hide glue to the water bath.
If your gluepot water ran out, you would smell the glue burning, and know to go add more water.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Hi Dennis. If the granular hide glue you are using is Milligan and Higgins 192 gm, I believe that they add a fungus deterrent that helps keep it sweet. I've never had a problem with it. I have used the pearl stuff from Lee Valley (180 gm I think) and didn't notice any particular worse smell but maybe yours is getting "ripe". If you want more time for veneering (but not hammer veneering) I would recommend Old Brown Glue.

If you want definitive answers about HHG, give Patrick or Patrice a call at ASFM or the Old Brown Glue site. Nobody knows more about animal protein glues than they do.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Hmmmm. Maybe the dead-er the animal the stickier the glue . . . just sayin' . . . }:0~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.