LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wood Chair Wood stain Plant Hardwood

Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Gas Tints and shades

Wood Gesture Glove Thumb Nail

Hello,
Here is my question, so i cut down a small dead birch and am planning to use these as table legs on a project or two, and I probably will use this wood for other things as well like turning and such. So how should i dry these logs out? I put some titebond 2 on the ends to seal it, should I dry these outside for awhile or should I bring them into the shop? They're about 3-4'' in diameter and are cut into 2' sections.

Thanks in advanced for the tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
They need to dry outside under cover for a while. Bringing them into a climate controlled shop will cause them to dry too fast, and they will split, crack, and check badly. After a couple of months outside under cover like an open sided shed, you can then bring them into the shop to continue drying.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.