LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I recently won a Stanley #8 on ebay that is in pretty beat-up shape, including a broken lever cap (which partially explains why I got it for < $10…). Seeing as the #8 lever caps are pretty rare and #7's aren't, would it be possible to use a #7's as a temporary substitute? The #8 is 2 5/8" whereas the #6/#7 is 2 3/8"... does that 1/4" really matter that much as far as blade chatter is concerned?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
you really do want that extra 1/4" of support especially since the #8 takes wider bites from the lumber - it all adds up. you could give the #7 lever cap a try if it's reasonably priced. although for the long run a proper lever cap would be recommended.

·
Registered
815 Posts
From my experience, the extra 1/8" per side should not really be an issue if you're not hogging off really thick cuts. You can also get an aftermarket thicker blade to minimize the chatter or flex (if any). That said, I would keep looking for the correct one anyway. -SST

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. On all of ebay, there was a single #8 lever cap up for grabs, and I didn't win it :( Some of the antique plane sites I've looked at all list the part as rare, especially if I want to stay period-correct (I've dated my plane to 1910-18), so it's quite expensive if I were to buy one.

So, I plan to keep looking (I've got a saved search that emails me daily with possible matches), I was just curious if I could get away with using the #7 instead since they are fairly common and much cheaper. @blkcherry, I'll look into your suggestion as well.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Check Rose Tools. I've visited their place and they have more antique tools and parts in one place than I have ever seen. You'll need to call them because their websiite only shows a small fraction of what's available. Also, there is no hard sell, and they won't rip you off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.