LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Design and getting started

Well, I got my first commission to design and build a simple display shelf out of Cherry several months back. I told the customer it was going to take a bit as I have a real job that frequently takes me out of town. Of course right after we shook on the deal, Hurricane Ike hit and the company I work for experienced a spike in business, I hi the road for next couple of months leading up to December. I didn't have the time to finish before Christmas and IO am now finally able to free up the time to start working on this in earnest.

The design is for the shelf to go into the corner of the living room and is just gonna hold pictures, oh yeah and is six foot tall. With allot of help from DaveR here is a pic of the design.

I had bought the cherry several months back on sale, and it has been "seasoning" ever since. I made GaryK's jointing jig for the long wide boards and jointed and planed the rest. The cherry was a thin 5/4 common (got it dirt cheap though) and there were a couple of boards that ended up thinner than the 3/4 required. \

Here is the milled stack whew what a lot of work. I am gonna have to go get a couple of more boards to have enough to finish up this project though :(

Next up is the rounding jig and glue up of the pannels. Hope this won't telescope out much longer though….

·
Registered
310 Posts

Well, I got my first commission to design and build a simple display shelf out of Cherry several months back. I told the customer it was going to take a bit as I have a real job that frequently takes me out of town. Of course right after we shook on the deal, Hurricane Ike hit and the company I work for experienced a spike in business, I hi the road for next couple of months leading up to December. I didn't have the time to finish before Christmas and IO am now finally able to free up the time to start working on this in earnest.

The design is for the shelf to go into the corner of the living room and is just gonna hold pictures, oh yeah and is six foot tall. With allot of help from DaveR here is a pic of the design.

I had bought the cherry several months back on sale, and it has been "seasoning" ever since. I made GaryK's jointing jig for the long wide boards and jointed and planed the rest. The cherry was a thin 5/4 common (got it dirt cheap though) and there were a couple of boards that ended up thinner than the 3/4 required. \

Here is the milled stack whew what a lot of work. I am gonna have to go get a couple of more boards to have enough to finish up this project though :(

Next up is the rounding jig and glue up of the pannels. Hope this won't telescope out much longer though….
Looks like you're going to have to be careful with the finish to get the cherry to come out even, cherry being famous for it's ability to not match itself, as well as blotch.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

sIKE this is looking pretty good and you must have a patient client to wait this long. This is going to be a nice project.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

looks liek a great chance to use all those shopupgrades you've blogged. looks like you are off to a good start. i wish I had advice for your first commision, but you are pretty good at this stuff and don't think I can do more than to follow along and cheer you on.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well I need to get out there and make the rounding sled for the router, and I also need to figure out how to put the sliding dovetails into case and then make the matching tails. This should be a fun but challenging project for me. I am looking at it as a moderate difficutly for my skill set.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts

Is it done yet ? LOL…We're all with you and know you can "git 'er done"

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Making the Quarter Round Shelves

I have been working on the overall project for the last several weeks. The panels and shelves glue ups are done and the initial sanding is done. Next up on the list was to turn the shelves from squares to quarter rounds. So it was time to stop and start making the jigs needed for the project. The Rounding Jig and The Quarter Rounding Sled, the Sliding Dovetail Socket jig, and the router fence for the Pins.

The Rounding Jig is based upon Norms, however my little 9" BS was not up to the task so I modified the design to work with the router table.

The Quarter Round Jig is also Norms, after testing I added the hold down clamps and the handle. The blanks are cut to rough size using the Jig Saw and then put on the sled and the rounding is completed at the router table.

Here are the shelves, almost to final size (Left some room to play with)

The nice thing afterwards was I able to add to the wall-o-jigs! The handle and the hold downs came off of course.

Next up the Sockets and Pins!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have been working on the overall project for the last several weeks. The panels and shelves glue ups are done and the initial sanding is done. Next up on the list was to turn the shelves from squares to quarter rounds. So it was time to stop and start making the jigs needed for the project. The Rounding Jig and The Quarter Rounding Sled, the Sliding Dovetail Socket jig, and the router fence for the Pins.

The Rounding Jig is based upon Norms, however my little 9" BS was not up to the task so I modified the design to work with the router table.

The Quarter Round Jig is also Norms, after testing I added the hold down clamps and the handle. The blanks are cut to rough size using the Jig Saw and then put on the sled and the rounding is completed at the router table.

The nice thing afterwards was I able to add to the wall-o-jigs! The handle and the hold downs came off of course.

Updated some of the details and my engrish wasn't up to snuff…

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

that is a serious jig, but to be honest, my bigest jealousy is the "wall of jigs". I always wanted a space to do that, but need to reorganize everything before it will be an option.

Is this the lumber that overflowed your dustcollector?

Then end results looks great. I think the sprial cutting bits are worth the extra $.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That roll-up door is 8 1/2' tall in the up position. All of that space above it is practically useless otherwise so I declared it as space for my Wall-o-Jigs ;) Not many up there right now, but get it time…

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

Well, finally got some shop time in. I cut the sockets with my father's help a couple of weeks ago, and that went well other than one mishap due to a knot. I got out this afternoon and cleaned up the shop and then got to work on the setup for cutting the pins. That took a while but after dozen or so ;) test runs I had my wife come out and take a look to see if I was being a bit too AR. Of course I was and she said that everything looked fine. So, isn't this the way it always goes, 10 minutes later all of the pins were cut.

As you can see everything is still over size but it went together just as I planned (well mostly, the humidity has caused one of the boards to develop a slight cup).

The shelf is quite large, I am right at 5'10"

Tomorrow I will cut the sides to size, put a rabbet onto one side, finish rounding the shelves, start the sanding process and then it's onto finishing. Still working on a solution for the sap wood. Recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

Well, finally got some shop time in. I cut the sockets with my father's help a couple of weeks ago, and that went well other than one mishap due to a knot. I got out this afternoon and cleaned up the shop and then got to work on the setup for cutting the pins. That took a while but after dozen or so ;) test runs I had my wife come out and take a look to see if I was being a bit too AR. Of course I was and she said that everything looked fine. So, isn't this the way it always goes, 10 minutes later all of the pins were cut.

As you can see everything is still over size but it went together just as I planned (well mostly, the humidity has caused one of the boards to develop a slight cup).

Tomorrow I will cut the sides to size, put a rabbet onto one side, finish rounding the shelves, start the sanding process and then it's onto finishing. Still working on a solution for the sap wood. Recommendations are welcome.
Hey sIKE
Looks great I always love to see the smile on the face of a woodworker who has done a great job with there project.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

This the first fine furniture project that I have designed myself and was not sure that the sliding dovetails were going to work. Sketchup is great and helps visualize everything even the joinery but until it goes together in the real world your never sure…

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

Looks like your getting there, look forward to seeing it finished. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

sIKE, I recommend not doing anything different to the sap wood. Claim it to be a design element and finish it the same as the rest of that beautiful work you have already done.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

sIKE, this looks really good. If you want another vote for leaving the sapwood as is I will cast mine as well. This is a matter of personal preference, of course but I enjoy the contrast that the sapwood gives in a piece of cherry furniture.

I am looking forward to seeing the next installment.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

Sap wood is good.
Contrast and character..designed into the project from the start!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

Sap wood is a design element use it and dont worry

·
In Loving Memory
344 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

The project is looking good. I agree with the others about the sap wood, let it show.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sockets and Pins Oh My!

sIKE wonderfull job I tend to look for boards with sap wood it makes the project look less massproduced or more a hand crafted item

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.