LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I'm designing a piece that has curved legs. I know that some folks, when making legs out of QSWO, glue a 1/8" thick layer on the sides to give the QS look on all four sides. How would you do this with a leg that is curved?

·
Registered
618 Posts
If it is a modest contour, a quadrilinear router bit may get you there. If it is a more pronounced curve then i can't think of a way to have all sides of the leg be quarter sawn unless you use a thin veneer. my suggestion is to use quarter sawn sides on front and back or most visible orientation or use rift sawn oak as suggested above. good luck.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Let me elaborate a bit, and maybe that will help clarify a bit more. I am working on a baptismal font for our church. All the furnishings are in flat sawn oak. I'm not the biggest fan of flat sawn oak, but it needs to cohere with the rest, so I thought maybe doing it out of QSO would be a good option. However, my inspiration for design has curved legs, so that is what got me to wondering about this.

I'm not copying this design, but using it as a starting place. This font is sapele veneer, I believe (see the continuous grain on the lower cross piece and leg). I'm trying to avoid busy grain on this piece. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Furniture Light Wood Chair Lighting

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.