LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Design Phase - Sketchup

Well while I am waiting for the glass for my wifes display case, I am working on designing my daughters shelf for her room. She has a ton of webkinz, and she also has some glass dolls that were my wife's. The dog is able to get on her bed and pull down the webkinz(bad very bad..eheh) so I am tasked with designing a shelf system that will help even out the density of the toys. Right now they are all piled on top of each other and fall down all the time(also making them an easy target for the dog.)

This is my initial design after about 5 attempts at a start. The point about pythagorias is that all the dimensions of the openings are based on the golden mean. The boards themselves are sized as appropriate to allow for the reaching of that mean. Its not exact as I did round to the nearest whole numbers. So the dimensions used are as follows.

29,18,11,7,4,2. And to really make this work well, the dimensions had to be based on the center of the board. I think it turned out pretty nice so far. I havent started the notches yet, thats my next task. I also have to figure out how I am going to hang it. I am going to make it out of 1/2" mdf and paint it white.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Design Phase - Sketchup

Well while I am waiting for the glass for my wifes display case, I am working on designing my daughters shelf for her room. She has a ton of webkinz, and she also has some glass dolls that were my wife's. The dog is able to get on her bed and pull down the webkinz(bad very bad..eheh) so I am tasked with designing a shelf system that will help even out the density of the toys. Right now they are all piled on top of each other and fall down all the time(also making them an easy target for the dog.)

This is my initial design after about 5 attempts at a start. The point about pythagorias is that all the dimensions of the openings are based on the golden mean. The boards themselves are sized as appropriate to allow for the reaching of that mean. Its not exact as I did round to the nearest whole numbers. So the dimensions used are as follows.

29,18,11,7,4,2. And to really make this work well, the dimensions had to be based on the center of the board. I think it turned out pretty nice so far. I havent started the notches yet, thats my next task. I also have to figure out how I am going to hang it. I am going to make it out of 1/2" mdf and paint it white.

Neat use of the golden ratio. I like these kind of open shelves, but I think you are the first I have seen apply the ratio to them. Should be a good project!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Design Phase - Sketchup

I love your sketches. What did you do them with? It looks like they are done by hand but the grain detail seems to be carried over to all views. Did you use some knid of 3D software?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Design Phase - Sketchup

yes they are done in sketchup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.